Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CX canti upgrade
  • tommid
    Free Member

I have cantis on my CX bike and currently have a set of CX70s, but wondered if a set of Vs would be better.
    Mini Vs would mean no change in levers, proper Vs would mean using something like the travel agent which I have heard mixed opinions about.
    What are your thoughts?

kiwijohn

I went from Paul’s cantis to their mini V’s. They are a whole world better.
    TRP’s are also good if you’re on a budget.

cp

Tektro mini vs are night and day different to cantis. 926al are dirt cheap and work really well.

Eg front and rear 20 quid

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BCTK926MV/tektro-926al-front-and-rear-mini-v-brakes

damomcg
    Free Member

I ran mini vs (tektro) on my Jake the snake. They were ace compared to the cantis it came with. Had to put the cantis back on to run fat gravel tyres though.

elduderino12
    Free Member

I’m curious to know how you find the cx70’s. I was thinking of doing the opposite to you.

I’m currently running V brakes and bar-end shifters, but fancied going back to sti shifters. Always found cantilevers a bit hit and miss, so wondering if the cx70 are any good?

rutland
    Free Member

I switched from CX70 to a Paul MiniMoto on the front and Touring Canti on the rear. As soon as the pads became slightly worn, I had terrible fork judder under braking with the CX70s, even when using Kool Stop salmon pads. The MiniMotos solved that immediately and are powerful.

The only downside with the MiniMoto is less mud clearance. That’s only really issue though when in extremely muddy conditions.

An alternative to the MiniMoto are the TRP CX8.4 mini-v:
    https://cycletechreview.com/2016/components-reviews/trp-cx8-4-brake-review/

jonba
    Free Member

When I ran rim brakes mini vees were much better than cantis generally. I stuck with cantis though because the mini vees had trouble on muddy cx courses, especially where there was grass or clay as they just got choked up.

The other option I made work was vee brake pads in canti holder. You get more contact so better brakes. Also running better pads like koolstop salmons but getting through several sets in a season made that a bit more expensive.

kiwijohn

I thought the minimoto had heaps of mud clearance. But then, I don’t race CX.
    The only cure for fork judder with cantis I found was switching the stem mount brake hanger for a fork mounted one.
    Minimotos were better still & still clear a Sawtooth 42.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

the trick with cantilevers is setting them up correctly, its all in pad tow-in, angle of bite etc etc. even empella frogleggs that have no adjustabiilty compered to some can be set to work brilliantly. i have them on my sworks which is notorious for shudder and its never been an issue.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m curious to know how you find the cx70’s

Of all the brakes I tried these are the best, and I’ve tried a few including mini v’s and avid ultimates.

elduderino12
    Free Member

^

Good to know. At £80 a set I wasn’t too sure if they’d end up being no better than Tektro CR720’s – all the reviews seem to be positive. I’d be using them on my commuter/tourer.

I’ve had Avid Ultimates before and while they were good, I sold them because they were a pain to adjust. Didn’t fancy carrying a cone spanner with me all the time.

Gary_M
    Free Member

they were a pain to adjust

Agreed and not as good as reviews suggest.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CX canti upgrade’ is closed to new replies.