Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cx brake recommendations
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Had a look and couldn’t see any recent threads but after cx (canti) brake recommendations. Using old shimano cx jobs like this and they’re ok but mud clearance with my fork (alpha q) could be better. Was thinking of newer cx70s but not sure if can use replacement pads? On the cx50 looks like replace the holder too. Frogglegs seems like a hassle to set up but what about some avids? Using sram single speed 500 levers. Ta

And yes I have been tempted to sell the crosscheck and get a disc crosser 😉

aP
    Free Member

I’ve used those Shimano cantilevers in the past and never been very impressed. I’ve current got tektro cantilevers and have been very happy with them, but bought some Campag brakes for the no1 bike and the tektros will replace the Shimano on the no2 bike. Herself has FSA cx cantilevers and they seem very good.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Avid Shorty ultimates…almost as good as ‘real’ brakes.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Seriously? Hmmm sounds like worth the extra cash

neilm
    Free Member

Take a look at FSA SL-K.

I have a set fitted to my drop bar mtb / cx frankenbike and they work as well, if not better, than V brakes.

I picked mine up from ebay, boxed and unused for less than half the list price.

Northwind

I stuck el cheapo Tektro v-brakes on mine, they work about as well as any cantis I’ve used even though they’ve just got the standard blocks etc. Mud clearance hasn’t been problematic though I can see why people expect it to be a problem- in reality the bits where there’s less clearance don’t seem to matter much.

Downside is they need an inline barrel adjuster, since neither brake nor brifters has an adjuster and it’s impossible to release the cable without it- can’t change tyres without spinning the barrel out!

richpips
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve had lots of rubbish cantis over the years and the Ultimates are far far better.

dobo
    Free Member

i think my trp carbon jobbies are great, well in the dry at least they can lock up just fine and easy to adjust.
    but in the wet, are any canti any good,really? i cant believe the ultimates are way better than a well setup pair of canti in the wet.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I acknowledge cantis are pretty gash when riding mtb trails and in the wet but a half decent set that don’t clog in the mud would be grand.

I’m starting to think a sscx with discs would be awesome

pirahna
    Free Member

At last, something I can give a sensible reply to. Thirty years of experience with CX brakes and I now have the best setup I’ve ever used.

TRP CX 8.4 cantis with a travel agent.

Got the same setup on my bike with SRAM levers and wifeys with Shimano, both are about as good as CX brakes get.

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers pirahna (?) the sensible is always appreciated

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I know the purists would not approve, but I’ve put mini V’s on my @kinesis_uk Five T. by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

I fitted the cheap tektro V’s and they seem to work well

plus-one

Tektro CR720’s are blinding/easy to set up I’ve raced on mine for 2 seasons and never had
    Any issue with them and stop well 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cx brake recommendations’ is closed to new replies.