Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CX brake pad, which fitting?
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

Looks like I need to replace the pads on my CX canti brakes and being used to discs, I’m a bit confused as to which type of fitting I need… 😕

I’ve got Tektro CR520 cantis and I know I dont need a cartridge pad, but I’m not sure if I need a threaded or canti fitting?

Anyone know the answer? These are the brakes in question btw.

simondbarnes

They’re just standard v-brake pads in that pic

ell_tell
    Free Member

V-brake? Now you’re throwing another option at me!

So are v-brake different to these, which are meant to be suitable for cantis?

technicallyinept
    Free Member

As Simon said, yours just have v-brake pads. The conical washers will allow you to toe-in the pads easily.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I’m confused to buggery now 😕

So let me get this straight, v-brake pads are fine for use in cantilever brakes? Remembering v-brakes of old, I thought they all used a cartridge pad. Maybe not then

Furthermore, those (red, blue, grey etc) pads I linked to above wont work?

But I would be best off with something like these instead?

simondbarnes

The canti pads you have pictured definitely won’t work. The ones you have pictured underneath will.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Ahh thanks for the confirmation, I’m slowly getting it now 🙂

So these type (below) are for v-brakes and therefore should also work

Spin
    Free Member

So these type (below) are for v-brakes and therefore should also work

Yes.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

On closer inspection, the pads on your brakes do look like ‘threaded’ cantilever brake pads. They are a bit shorter than v-brake pads.

Just do a google image search for ‘threaded canti brake pads’

ell_tell
    Free Member

Got the bike sat behind me and the stock pads that came with it do seem quite short, certainly shorter than those red v-brake pads I linked to above.

I think the black Kool Stop ones (up there^^) have the same fittings and the pad is also a little shorter, and perhaps the pad material is also a little thicker.

Spin
    Free Member

V-brake pads come in different lengths. I find the shorter ones slighly easier to set up on crosser rims with a shallower sidewall.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Thats good to hear as I went for the slightly shorter v-brake fitting.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CX brake pad, which fitting?’ is closed to new replies.