Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CX bikes – triple or not ?
  • iainc

I have a Jake the snake with a 36/46 double chainset and an 11-27 cassette and am wondering about fitting a triple chainset. I don’t race on it – a bit of road, a bit of off road, general workhorse, ride with the kids etc.

I do sometimes feel I could do with a granny ring though, but not sure if it’s worth the cost – chainset, chain, shifters ?

any thoughts, ideas ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t think its worth it Iain. I seldom use the middle ring, couldn’t see any need for a granny ring. But you know what gearing you need.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Never used a tripple.. I would have thought with the ratios you allready have you should be ok tho?? I’m no where near being fit and can use the same..

Why not put a bigger block on the back?

Then run like an XT mech to cope with it??

nodrog2
    Free Member

Only time i’ve used a triple on a cx is for the 3peaks (used a xt 48/36/26 triple), most of the time i find a double is all you need, something like 48/34 works well for me.

iainc

thanks all – had thought sbout putting a bigger casssette on but with 105 shifters I am limited – I think 27 is the biggest 10 speed I can get. (bike came with a 25, but I changed ita while back)

Think I’ll keep my dosh and get a bit fitter -)

njee20
    Free Member

No bike with drop bars should have a triple, it’s sacrilege!

As said, you know what gearing you need, you could get a 34t chainring, may make the difference. SRAM do 11-28 cassettes too, which will work with your mech.

crazy-legs

34/48 chainset on my CX as well, it works fine round here (Peak District). The only problem with the Kona’s is that they come with a “racing” double which has a very narrow gap – I’ve even seen CX’s with 40/46 rings!
    Best bet is to change the chainset for a proper compact double, I’d recommend 34/48 rather than 34/50 as that gap is annoyingly large and you won’t need the big gears.
    Your short cage mech will still work with a 28T cog, Shimano and SRAM both make them. Or you can do what i did at the Three Peaks and fit an MTB cassette with a long cage mech – it doesn’t look pretty but it worked!

njee20
    Free Member

The only Shimano cassette with a 28 is a Dura Ace 7900 for £176.16, I’d look at SRAM…

paulosoxo
    Free Member

fit a triple. They’re great

antigee

use my cx stylee fugly to cope with some local 1 in 5 road hills and the drops were great against the head wind on the Trans Pennine Trail yesterday – i know the racers and darkside people will just say try harder but i’m the sort of age when one knee has been operated on and my groin is full of stitches so i don’t like to push a big gear and don’t see why others should dictate that i do!

use an XT mech with a long cage and Dura ace STI’s with the XT mech don’t think you are so limited in choice on rear cassette, you need an old style mech with barrel adjuster unless you’ve got adjuster on the frame nipple – just need to calculate the total capacity – i think its called that

…just realised you are running 10speed so i guess that won’t work

GJP
    Free Member

I once had a triple on a road bike. Never again all it did was prolong the agony when climbing hills.

You could do some calculations to see how much a 34 inner ring would alter the gearing with a 12-27 Cassette. It would be a cheap option.

You could also look for a custom cassette from Pearson Cycles. Think you can only go to a 29 with Shimano at least with a standard mech – but they are circa £100.

iainc

just ordered a 34 inner ring, so will see how that goes – resumably it’ll give me the feeling of at least 2 extra gears !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CX bikes – triple or not ?’ is closed to new replies.