Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • CX bikes taking my KOMs!
  • tizzzzle
    Free Member

So I know all’s fair in Strava land, but this is bugging me.
    Slogged my guts out to get some local off-road KOMs in the mud on my 456 only to find my times beaten by 2 guys riding together on skinny tyres during the recent dry(ish) spell.

Cheating I tell you!! Is it?

(back to looking at cheap CX bikes online…)

jam-bo

next you’ll be complaining about the wind like all the roadies do.

shortcut

Maybe you need a different category for 29ers and crosser riders.

mrmo
    Free Member

and your point? there are a few KOMs i have taken for off road sections on the road bike.

As for the wind, which is fairer a chaingang or a tailwind?

Quite satisfying taking a KOM off the local chaingang, ok it was SLIGHTLY wind assisted!!!!

tizzzzle
    Free Member

and your point?

I don’t really have one. Just want you to be aware that I am superior for riding a real bike

traildog
    Free Member

If you want to race, then enter a race. Strava should be seen as a training aid and maybe motivation, but the KOM’s are nonesense (and dare I say dangerous in some cases?).
    As for CX bike, it’s lesser cheating than wind/chaingang/motor/digital epo. Just think, there are people slogging their guts on downhill bikes, just for you to take it on your 456.

D0NK

Just want you to be aware that I am superior for riding a real bike

or possibly they are superior for riding a crap offroad bike faster than a “real bike”?
    🙂

danielgroves
    Free Member

Just get over it, it’s only Strava, so not the end of the world.

trail_rat
    Free Member

why not do as some folk did on one of my rides when i took my TT bike out for a race pace spin to check the position.

just leave abusive comments alluding to me being a cheat……

miketually
    Free Member

Maybe you need a different category for 29ers and crosser riders.

The weight categories work for that 😉

globalti
    Free Member

A CX bike will beat a mountain bike up a hill; it’s usually lighter and the stiff rear triangle makes standing on the pedals rewarding. Wait until the rocky downhill bit though; the CX rider will be off and walking.

bigyinn
    Free Member

How do you know they are on CX bikes? Or are you just actually not very fast and trying to justify that to the Strava luvvies??

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you want to race, then enter a race

A big +1 for this.

Strava is a bit of fun. Conditions and gps accuracy vary so much. Long steepish road sections are about the only ones that might actually have any sort of significance (where wind, chain ganging, TT bikes and skinsuits don’t help as much.)

clubber
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation, I have a route that I only ever ride on my CX bike as it’s mostly a bit boring on an mtb. One of the DHs is great on a CX bike but very slow and bumpy as it’s rocky/rooty/wet/slippy but the mtbers are the best part of a minute ahead on it. Maybe I’ll do it on my mtb one day just to get a KOM 🙂

Wait until the rocky downhill bit though; the CX rider will be off and walking.

Not really, just very careful picking of lines which makes it a lot slower. You might be suprised what you can actually ride on a CX bike and particularly if it’s not too bumpy, how fast you can do it even if it’s twisty.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Err.. I think you think I care more about this than I actually do!

Just wondered what people’s thoughts were. Some of you seem a bit bitter if I’m honest. Don’t worry guys, you’ll get that KOM one day 😉

I also have no idea what ‘chainganging’ is, but it sounds like something I don’t want any part of…

akira

Chainganging is a bunch of guys in weird tight clothing starting at each others arses and making funny hand gestures.

njee20
    Free Member

So how do you know they’re on cross bikes?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just wondered what people’s thoughts were. Some of you seem a bit bitter if I’m honest. Don’t worry guys, you’ll get that KOM one day

😆

I do pick them up quite frequently on the road but am amazed at the number of times that they taken back invariably on the very next day. Some competitive folk out there!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

@akira 😆

crazy-legs

I’ve got loads of KOMs on my CX bike.

I thought it was cos I’m awesome but now you’ve put me in my place and made me realise that I’m cheating…

😉

ska-49
    Free Member

Just started using strava. Surprised how dangerous some of the segments are! Winding footpaths with hedgerows either side. You can’t see more than 5 meters ahead at most and the KOM on one route is 28.5 km/h! I see loads of dog walkers along this route and can’t help but feel that the riders are pretty careless.

It is satisfying taking a KOM though. Took my first this morning 😀

clubber
    Free Member

They’ll get marked hazardous soon enough ska-49 and then no more KOMs 😉

andypaul99
    Free Member

I dont really ride my road bike much, so on strava i have stuck MTB next to my name to justify my poor peformance on the road….that does however put far more pressure on me when im off road!
    No excuses then 😉

AlexSimon

I went out on my CX bike last night for a quick blast. They are very quick on some stuff!
    I wouldn’t feel in the slightest bit a cheat if I managed to get a KoM (got a 6th and a 9th last night). Just as I wouldn’t mind putting some downhill tyres on to try a few local descents.

I would feel slightly smug if I got a road KoM on my CX tyres though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Can’t be much of a climb then can it?

iain1775
    Free Member

What’s a KOM?
    Is it anything to do with just having nice simple fun?

glupton1976
    Free Member

How many people does a segment need to have ridden it before it’s a worthwhile KOM?

jam-bo

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘CX bikes taking my KOMs!’ is closed to new replies.