• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jb72.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • CX bikes for less than £500
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Are there any decent ones?

twonks

I suppose it depends on your definition of decent.

I bought a Boardman CX Comp for £650 brand new a couple of years ago and it’s been ridden a handfull of times only.

It’s a good bike but the trouble is most of this forum is likely spoilt by the mtb quality they already have.

The Boardman gears are clunky, the brakes are horrible, it weighs a ton and it doesn’t really do anything especially well.

For long road rides with the occasional hop over a field or bridleway then probably ok but anything more off road based a decent hard tail is faster and more comfortable.

Second hand CX bikes might be a better bet at that money. If new then look at Mango AR, possibly some sale Boardmans, and whatever Merlin are doing at the time.

cinnamon_girl

My son recently bought a Bianchi Zurigo (possibly 2015) for around £700. Wheels are heavy (Alex rims so should be bomb-proof) and has cable brakes that will be updated at some point.

tpbiker
    Free Member

What size, I’ve got a virtually unused (less than 100 miles) boarbman CX with carbon wheels going for around your budget. Size 52 however.

butcher

I suppose it depends on your definition of decent.

I bought a Boardman CX Comp for £650 brand new a couple of years ago and it’s been ridden a handfull of times only.

It’s a good bike but the trouble is most of this forum is likely spoilt by the mtb quality they already have.

The Boardman gears are clunky, the brakes are horrible, it weighs a ton and it doesn’t really do anything especially well.

For long road rides with the occasional hop over a field or bridleway then probably ok but anything more off road based a decent hard tail is faster and more comfortable.

The Boardman Comp is probably one of the main contenders for the OP’s budget, but will only really fall below £500 in the sales. I managed to get a CX Team for £600 in the sales + BC discount. Although I have to say, while it gets used it a lot, it hasn’t been the most inspiring bike for me. It’s not light, it’s not spritely, and just feels kinda dead. And yeah, although I quite like the function of the Sram gears, the shifters can be hard work.

Can’t really expect a whole lot for £500 though. And the Boardman is a great bike for putting some miles in really. I’m sure the Comp isn’t that far behind.

vdubber67
    Free Member

You should still be able to pick up some ‘ex-racer’ canti-braked bikes out there second hand. Depends what you want to do with the bike. Race or do some of this new-fangled adventure/gravel crap 😉

tpbiker
    Free Member

agree with above hence why I’m selling my Boardman (think its the team). It came with wheels as heavy as the moon, so put on some light bike carbons, but its still ‘dull’ and uninspiring IMO…

It was meant to be a winter bike and a compromise between my xc bike and my nice roadie, but all it made me to do was ride those other bikes instead.

Also agree about being spoiled by other bikes I have. I guess if I didn’t know any better I’d think it was quite nice, but it compares very poorly to my 15lb roadie on the road, and off road very poorly to my 21lb xc hardtail.

I guess if I wanted to ride CX races it would be useful, but then again I’d probably want something in the same quality bracket as my other bikes if I did that.

As a commuter its probably ok, but as a n+1 bike i don’t really see the point of CX bikes

rents
    Free Member

I have a nice fluro green jake the snake I can move on. 56cm, ultegra 10spd group, aksium wheels. Was looking for £500. Let us know if you would like some pics :0)

oldfart

I was lucky to get a Giant Revolt 1 for £500 ( half price ) Its not the lightest but that doesn’t bother me I’ve done about 3000 miles in 2 years far easier than riding my hard tail on the road and gravel . So far 1 chain 1 bottom bracket saves my expensive MTB .

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Verenti Substance? I hate mine which is an odd recommendation but I can see for the money it’s great. It’s just the whole cx thing I don’t like. As a tool I show no love to and commute on across road/towpath and when it’s dry, singletrack, it’s perfect. I doubt you’ll get anything better for the money. The full Sora groupset and Avid brakes must 3/4 of the retail price.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

In fact forget that, they’re silly money now! My 2016 model was only £450.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. In fact, I think I’m going to get a Charge Plug 3, on sale (went and had a look today), but I just thought I’d see what else is out there. Not a lot, by the sound of it.

As an aside: Does anyone know anything about Radial bikes?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Second hand. There was a nice looking Arkose in the classified a while ago for £500 a bit less than half new price.

mikey74
    Free Member

Second hand. There was a nice looking Arkose in the classified a while ago for £500 a bit less than half new price.

Never when I need them, it would seem.

bigad40
    Free Member

Sorry to wade in so late, I bought a Norco Threshold of eBay 2 weeks ago. It’s in great condition.
    The bike is heavy compared to the road bike it replaced but out in the woods it feels great! Very confident, the cable discs don’t haul like my XT’s on the MTB but with those skinny tyres I wouldn’t want them to.
    The skinny tyres are scary round corners but it’s a blast.
    Turns my local flattish woods into a hoot, which is awesome, I used to have to travel to get to fun/challenging stuff but this bike makes local all weather tracks fun and sort of challenging.

Jase
    Free Member

Raleigh Elite from CRC, £380 if you’re a member of BC

jb72
    Free Member

Vodoo Limba – £360 at halfords. No idea how good it will be, though I’m considering getting one.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘CX bikes for less than £500’ is closed to new replies.