Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • CX Bike Tyres
  • mboy
    Free Member

Just about to take delivery of a new CX bike! Yay for me… Won’t be using it for any UCI races (or any races for that matter most likely) so don’t need to stick to the 33C rule.

The new bike is coming with 33C Tubeless Ready Maxxis Mud Wrestler’s. I’ll be using the bike mainly for short hour blasts from my house, taking in canal paths, local woods, road and cycle paths to link up, and occasional trail rides instead of the MTB. So what would you recommend?

Got to be tubeless ready, and thinking 35c (or bigger, can certainly go bigger on the front as it has the clearance) would be good too.

simondbarnes

The Mud Wrestlers are a good tyre. I’d use those.

Currently running Specialized Terro Pro 2Bliss and really rate them for mud & mixed terrain (even fine on the road)

misterduncan
    Free Member

Stick with the Mud Wrestlers and run them tubeless.

Good tyres unless it’s an utter quagmire.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Running Schwalbe CX pro and really like them not too bad in mud,very good on fireroads,forest tracks and excellent on the road. No punctures either the Continental cx race I had on were gash.

cookeaa

I have Just fitted a tubeless 32mm Hutchinson to the rear of mine, crappy 35mm tyres and tubes were not really standing up to the rigours of regular jaunts offroad.

I will probably be getting another for the front, seems to ride better, and I am not expecting to get more punctures…

Go tubeless FTW…

fasthaggis

cookeaa

Will tubeless still work at higher pressures if you pick up small stuff on the road/fire roads?

cookeaa

I guess I will find out, had it up to 90psi when I was seating the tyre and it was holding just fine.

TBH I will probably be running it at 40-50psi which I wouldn’t imagine is too high for sealants to work.

Worst case it drops to say ~35psi and then seals, I could get home on that just fineif I had to, I nursed it home the other day with a slow flat that must have been down to 10psi…

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Wtb Cross Boss are a nice, fast rolling, high volume 35mm cx tyre as well.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Clems Xplor MSO’s in either 35c or 40c flave…

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

WTB Cross Boss tubeless here. Roll pretty well on road and work well off road as long as it isn’t too muddy. They aren’t proper mud tyres but a good choice for all round riding and mixed road/off road rides. I run mine at about 35 – 40 psi.

daver27
    Free Member

Wtb nano 40c on mine. Turns it into a really capable off roader without too big a penalty on the road. Bikes a right laugh now.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Schwalbe smart sams.

Cheap, grippy in mud, easy on the road, cheap.

fasthaggis

TBH I will probably be running it at 40-50psi which I wouldn’t imagine is too high for sealants to work

That’s what I have been wondering about.
    I have a set of tubeless ready cx wheels,but they will spend a lot of time on fire roads and tarmac so I will be running them at high pressures.

cookeaa

I am ~74kg (this week) and have found tubed, 35mm tyres above 60psi on my CX bike are just too harsh for me offroad and I can happily trundle on the road with them at ~40psi, bearing in mind the average volume of cross tyres is almost double that of the average road tyre.

Since reading this thread last night I have been trawling the Web again for more tubeless options, anyone tried the specialized terra or tracer for all-rounder-ish use?

mboy
    Free Member

Had been contemplating the 35mm cross boss after good experience with the Trail Boss on the back of my 29er. Is it worth trying the 40mm Nano’s though?

Looked at the Smart Sam’s, which again come in both 35 and 40mm widths, but only the cheap non folding, non tubeless ready versions… MUST be folding and tubeless ready for me I’m afraid!

daver27
    Free Member

Depends what you want to tackle. The 40c nanos almost make the bike into a drop bar rigid 29er with questionable brakes. Good fun and opens up a bit more terrain.

tang
    Free Member

In pure filth I find the nanno a bit lacking, long rocky days in the summer just ace. Having good times with Vitoria tubeless. Cross boss looks good.

swanny853

I’ve used mud wrestlers this winter and last, they’ve been fine. I’ve been down to about 28psi front, low thirties rear. Any lower than that and I find I get fat bike style moon bounce. They seem to have survived it better than the schwalbe they replaced- sidewalls on those died!

Wookster

I e got Nobby Nics on mine, similar riding, Singletrack, bridle way, road repeat! Great all rounder I’ve found.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Using mud wrestlers here too, tubeless running 35 psi and going every, and any, where… am tempted to try 40c Nanos as the weather improves though…. again, tubeless.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got either vittoria XG or XL in tnt flavour set up tubless on Grails. They’re both 33mm but seem massive to be fair

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘CX Bike Tyres’ is closed to new replies.