Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • CX bike suggestions
  • cp

Unbelievable!

If you’re small!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Missed this thread first time around but if you’ve chose a Focus Mares you really can’t go far wrong. Get a new set of wheels next season, you’ll be fine running what you’ve got this one,

I would have optioned on the Top Spec Boone or Giants TCX Adv1 but from reading your budgets been cut, so you’ve done well with a Focus, great bikes.

ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah from the quick test ride I did it seemed nice. I felt the flip flop steering round a couple of
    Hairpins due to hte slack ha that some reviews mentioned to start with but you only need to be marginally more precise with weighting and it goes away.
    The real bonus is my wife just told me it’s pointless to sell the Ridley so I have a pit bike too 😆

I’d put money on it being a wet and muddy season given we seem to be having a traditional baking hot summer so far and it was mud free last year!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I hope so. I like mud. Well bought fella.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Chaps, what’s the opinion on a discounted Boone? Great bike but will the post mount end up being a PITA if I ever need to replace the calipers?

ferrals
    Free Member

Can’t really comment on post mount v flat mount. Which Boone were you thinking of? If it’s good enough for Sven Nys …..

Only thing is you are sacrificing about 100g on frame weight for the decoupler I think.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not sure which. I guess there’s a 2018 on the way soon. I was quite tempted to build up one of the new crocket but new ones look quite pricey.

Might check out the Mares again.

sb88
    Free Member

From my limited experience of cx races, having 2 bikes seemed to be the deal breaker. If I had £1000 to spend on a cx bike, I’d cobble together 2 single speed rim brake ones from eBay bits for £800 and get £200 worth of beers/biscuits for a mate/gf to act as pit bitch for the season. (Actually I’d buy one nicer, steel one that I liked and use it for leisure rides and the occasional amateur race, but if I were serious about races, the above would apply)

ferrals
    Free Member

@mrblobby – another thread Here suggests you can mix and match mtb so I can’t see post mount being an issue

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Boardman CX Team is £800 until 2200, click and collect for £720 with BC discount.

ferrals
    Free Member

Finally picked up mares yesterday, hours drill this morning round the playing fields in proper cross weather, an all pervading drizzle. Very impressed. I was slightly concerned about reviews saying slow speed cornering was compromised by the slacker head angle so coned out a few hairpins but felt it behaved impeccably. Where it excelled was in steep offcamber horizontal hairpins where the slacker head angle was a real asset in carrying speed and whipping round the turns. Mud (or mostly cut grass today) clearance was excellent, despite the rear mech fully clogging several times the wheels/frame were still fine.

IdleJon

ferrals, you got it from Pilot House Cycles, I assume? I’m looking around for a new one as well and it will have to be 0%. (Just got a very nice new MTB – can’t justify more cash on another bike!) I was thinking of the 2017 SuperX 105 through Tredz.

Having now broken my back I’m looking at a Boone purely for the sloppy seatpost.

😯
    I missed this thread originally. What happened and are you OK?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@Idle Jon more info here- http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/broken-backs-and-recovery-talk-to-me
    TLDR- Car driver didn’t look for cyclist (me) on roundabout and despite my right of way, drove out and T-boned me. Impact left me with broken L1 and L3. Back in early May. Also a very broken Storck bike.

IdleJon

😯 again! Get well soon Thom, hopefully see you at the ‘cross.

mrblobby
    Free Member
    ferrals
    Free Member

Yes Jon, got it from PHC, they don’t do 0% so I got a 0% credit card. You get a discount if you join GR 😉 plus Thursday cx training is in full swing at the moment!

That cannodale is a really nice bike too.. I was looking at them but were outside my price bracket at the time.

What mtb did you get?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm just noticed the PX XLS for 2k. Comes with race ready tubs. Force X1. Quite tempting.

ferrals
    Free Member

What is mud clearance like?

mrblobby
    Free Member

No idea. No good photos. Anyone know?

kilo

Not massive by the BB with Vittoria 33mm cross tyres on mine.

mrblobby
    Free Member

With a budget of 2k. CAADX Apex for 1099. The extra cash spent on race wheels and some lighter finishing kit. Would you…?

mos

I’ve got a Rival 1 XLS whish i have upgraded the wheels & cranks on & i think its a great bike (although its my 1st cx bike so don’t have any other yardsticks). I do like CX1 although o run an XTR 11-40 & the gaps are a little on the big side for racing but that only accounts for 10% max of its usage so not such a problem.

Garry_Lager

Caadx’s have a high turnover on ebay – for race purposes I’d prob look to get a 105 for sub 500 quid and then buy some wheels.

CX Hydrobrakes would be great for your general trail riding, but aren’t a big deal in a race IMHO. Guess it depends how widely you think you’d ride the bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm well not sure how this happened…

It’s just a loan from the LBS to see if I like it, I won’t be keeping it, oh no 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Sweet 🙂 are you allowed to get it muddy? Should be plenty of mud about!

phunkmaster
    Free Member

That Giant is lovely. Is there no love for the Scott Speedster CX 20? I’ve got one and love it. Wheels are a little weighty but I feel that it’s good value for money.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I did ask if I could get it muddy and he said “yes that’s what it’s for” 🙂

I suspect he’s reasonably confident he won’t be having it back!

Wheels are a bit weighty but I’d swap them for something to race on. And bars seem ridiculously wide but I’d change those.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well I got it muddy. Like a lot. Other than the maxxis tyres (the old 60TPI mud wrestler) which were rubbish. Though I guess a mud tyre over slick wet roots is never going to work that well.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good bike the TCX 😉

Griffos or Limus or Almanzos .. skin walled obvz.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks bikebouy, I feel a what wheels and tyres thread coming on 😉

Enjoyed last night spin on the TCX. Took an alu one for a spin few years ago and was in two minds, felt a bit tall and ungainly next to a Crux, but didn’t really get that this time around. If i keep it then it will be raced, but just riding off road and easily linking bits of trail with road, can see it being fun to train on.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘CX bike suggestions’ is closed to new replies.