Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cx bike sizing help please
  • doncorleoni
    Free Member

Hello all, I have done a search but cannot quite find the answer. I have finally decided to buy a more suitable bike for commuting 11 miles to work (22 round trip). After quite a bit of searching, I have my heart set on a genesis croix de fer cx bike …….but general cx / road bike size is really confusing me. None of my local bike shops stock the cdf….sat on a spesh tricross today, a mates cotic roadrat, and a cotic x as well as a trek something….

now with mountain bikes, I ride a 17.5 spesh camber, I like a slightly smaller frame size. But for road/cx bikes does that matter? I know there is no direct comparison.

I am kind of stuck between deciding on the 54 or 56….all guides say i should aim for a size 56 (I am 5″10 with 32 inside leg).. Is it better to go smaller for a cx bike or stick with reccomended size??

Sorry I know I should really just try but that’s not an option 🙁

Any help much appreciated

Thank you

Nipper99
    Free Member

I am you height with a slightly shorter inside leg and have a 56cm Kona Jake which fits perfect.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Thanks mate good to know! The Kona cx bikes (major jake etc) look awesome 🙂 I must stop googling options otherwise I won’t be able to make my mind up!

bones76
    Free Member

Maybe check out Planet x too as there knocking the dirty disco cx bike out at a good price these days!
    Sorry if i am adding to the confusion of which bike to get!
    I do have a dirty disco and i went for a medium and have no issues with sizing, am 5”9 an a bit and all in all i would say i have a good bike…

Coleman
    Free Member

Hi, 5′ 11″ here with a medium Giant TCX, 555mm top tube, 100mm stem. Wouldn’t want to go any bigger. Used for racing only if that’s relevant. My road bikes are all 10 to 15mm longer in top tube.

nodrog2
    Free Member

5ft 11 on a 54 Planet X Uncle John. 100mm stem, layback post. Perfect for off road and commuting. 548mm top tube (I think), check the specs.

aazlad
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” with 32″ inside leg and I ride a 56″ Cotic X. I tried a 54″ but was a bit cramped with too much toe overlap.

I also tested a 56″ CDF which felt bigger than the Cotic and a little too big. 54″ Day One felt right but again too much toe overlap. Get to an Evans if you can. The Manchester velodrome store had CDF in medium and large.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Thanks guys 🙂 what exactly is toe overlap? Heard it said a few times…my commutes are basically 70% road 30 off road …hmmmm I do like quite a bit of leg extension if you know what I mean on my bikes! I like to almost have a straight leg when crank at bottom of travel and generally have quite a bit of post showing!!!

If most of my commute is onroad rather than twisty stuff am I better going for the larger frame? I guess the smaller frame could always be adjusted with seat post and stem etc but large frame will always be too large and all that!

Had a look at Planet X too – yes they look blooming great value ! Arghhhhh 🙂

sparkingchains
    Free Member

I’ve just build up a Croix de fer. Everything I read indicated I’d need a 60 cm but that seemed large compared with my road bike. I tested a 58cm Genesis Day One – very similar but not exactly the same geometry and went for a 58 Croix de Fer.

I’m 6ft 2” with a long upper body and arms. The 58 fits very well. Standover would be an issue on a 60. I’ve since heard Genesis CX frames come up large, I’d agree with that and suggest the 54 would be OK but try and test one of Genesis’ CX bikes if you can.

First thing I noticed was how comfy it is even with hard 32mm tyres but it’s not light even with my custom build.

Vin Cox rode a CDF around the world in the fastest time, then Mike Hall rode an On-One Dirty Disco around the world and beat that time – both would be good choices the DD will obviously be a lot lighter but doesn’t take a standard rack, isn’t as strong and the angles are a little more racey.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cx bike sizing help please’ is closed to new replies.