Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • CX Bike quandary
  • inbred853

Looking for some STW wisdom and advice; I have been deliberating over buying a road bike of some sort for the past few months and after much tinternet research, ( much to my Mrs Inbreds distain), I have decided to plump for a CX bike due to their versatility and for what I will be using it for, bit of road, lane, commuting etc.
    I have today looked at a few in a certain bike shop and have shortlisted it to either a Norco Threshold A1 or Pinnicle Arkose 3. Swaying towards the Norco, bolt though hubs, fully enclosed cables etc.
    Is there anything else that springs to mind from the STW hive minds for @£1000?
    Cheers in advance.

stox
    Free Member

I have a cannondale CAADX so I’ll recommend that 🙂
    Great CX bike. Use it for commuting, winter riding and off road stuff.
    Ive not ridden any other so I’ve nothing to compare it with.

johnny63

this ?

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-3000-hydraulic/aid:770985

have the older 105 version and think it’s great

inbred853

stox, had a look at the Cannondale today and it didn’t really do it for me, however I’ve not test ridden any of my choices so the jury’s still oot.

mcnultycop

I’ve just ordered the Arkose 4 after a test ride, it felt lovely just on road (rough roads, though). I wanted the hydraulic discs but the spec on the 3 is ace.

inbred853

Johnny63 and mcnultycop cheers, but a bit over my budget I’m afraid, I’m looking at a small frame btw as I’m a giant of 5′ 7″ stature!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Custom build on the £110 Arkose frame- I’m building a Pyrolite with full 105 and Hope wheels for £800 ish..

Gee76
    Free Member

I’ve been deliberating the same but edging towards some of the newer adventure type bikes. Seems to be pitched as the endurance versions of cx bikes. Of course they all include discs too.

Like out and out road race bikes, CX bike strike me as being a bit more harsh, nose down and twitchy. Fine for a 1 hr muddy blast but perhaps not quite so forgiving maybe for longer rides.

Depends on what riding you might be doing but the Norco Search, GT Grades, etc might be a good shout!!

daver27
    Free Member

I have the threshold A1, bloody brilliant fun bike.

inbred853

rocktheegroy – out of interest what forks are you using for your build and is it with the 2014 Akrose frame?

iainc

If you can stretch to shimano hydraulics they are a world apart from cabled ones.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Giant tcx slr 2
    Brilliant off and on road and for longer rides.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘CX Bike quandary’ is closed to new replies.