Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • CX Bike Bottle Mounting Problem – Well carrying bike problem..
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Been out this evening on my CX doing a bit of bike carrying in preparation for the 3 Peaks.

Came a cross a big problem! As its a small frame, with a bottle cage on I can’t lift the bike on my shoulder.

So where to put a bottle? On the handle bars or behind the seat?

Added to this I was going to be carrying a saddle pack with tube and inflators etc. SO not sure what option will work best?

The clamp on this seat post one looks shocking..

Handlebar looks more sturdy…but really ?

steveoath
    Free Member

Camelbak allowed?

Does that first one not clamp to the saddle rather than seatpost?

steveoath
    Free Member

On ipad and cant post img. But what about a double holder with one for bottleone for bits?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRG4XNIHdEvYEtsD1YsScppaBAfLQ1-brcbZPvb1p_lXI9dC5N5W7KIiz15-FgkMidQa917losO&usqp=CAE

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’d personally run a small hydration pack, much easier & solves all your problems.
    The likes of the new Shimano ones barely move either.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was trying to avoid Camelbak type things as it is much nicer not having anything on your back, but may be the sensible solution 🙁

Steveoath – I’ve looked at them, I’m from Yorkshire and they are not cheap 😆

Spin
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Have you done the 3 peaks before? What’s your hydration strategy? I ask as lots of folks lose bottles on it. Those I know that use bottles get them handed up at the start of the road sections so they can drink then rather than risk losing all their fluids on one of the descents.

jono84
    Free Member

I have one of the rear tacx saddle mount bottle holders on my tri bike, ive lost a few bottles as it has a habit of launching them, if you teamed it up with a x labs gorilla cage it might hold it but there 40quids worth personally I wouldn’t trust it on a cx bike id be tempted to use a small camelbac or maybe a jersey pocket if you have one that will securely hold one only my 2ps worth tho no real life experiance other than I dont think tje saddle mount is for you

cloudnine
    Free Member

Platypus soft bottle in jersey pocket or handed to you.. come in 1 litre, 500ml.. when its empty it weighs nothing. You can get a soft bite valve for them too..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Platypus-Soft-Bottle-Push-Pull-500ml/dp/B00BG7SUVM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439237936&sr=8-3&keywords=platypus

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Spin – it’s my first time riding it.

I had envisaged basically having a new bottle available at the bottom of each hill.

Even if I just grab a bottle at the bottom of each hill I will still need some where to put it.

Handlebar mounted might look odd but may well be the best solution?

Spin
    Free Member

You could always try carrying your bike like I do, with the top tube across my shoulders, holding bars with one hand and saddle with the other. I can’t understand why more people don’t do this, I find it much better than the traditional arm through frame method.

Spin
    Free Member

Handlebar mounted might look odd but may well be the best solution?

If you’re getting a bottle at the bottom of each hill then I’m sure it will work fine. You wont be drinking out bottles on the climbs or descents anyway!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Spin to be fair I tried that tonight and it felt loads better carrying. I just assumed in places it’s too steep to carry up like that

Spin
    Free Member

I just assumed in places it’s too steep to carry up like that

That was the objection others had before but its never been a problem for me. I still find it really easy to release a hand if needed but can’t recall having to do it often (ever?) on the 3PCX.

edit – the only really steep bit is Simon Fell and it’s not as bad as some make out.

kilo

Spin – Member

You could always try carrying your bike like I do, with the top tube across my shoulders, holding bars with one hand and saddle with the other. I can’t understand why more people don’t do this, I find it much better than the traditional arm through frame method.

This was how my wife, who also has a small frame was advised, at the weekend, to carry it for 3 peaks.

paul4stones

Take the bottle out and carry it in your other hand. Easy.

tlr

I used a hydration pack on the 3 Peaks.

Meant I could drink more often, carry the bike more easily and not need support. And the shoulder strap acts as padding for carrying the bike.

Others grab a bottle at the start of each road section and stuff it in their pocket, discarding it at the off road.

I can’t see a lot of drinking going on off-road if you have a bottle.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I use a natty little waist belt that holds up to 3 x 500ml bottles when I’m out cx training, works really well. Bought it about 20 years ago but there’s bound to be similar products out there. I bet running shops would stock something.

jonba
    Free Member

Pretty much echo thee above. I used a bottle the first time but then switched to a camelbak. Carrying is definitely high on the priority list. I did it unsupported so couldn’t get bottles handed up. If you have support you may get away with being handed bottles for the road sections and putting one in a pocket.

I saw plenty of lost bottles the last time so however you attach it to the fram make sure it doesn’t fall out when you ride steps.

Don’t neglect the pipe lagging either. I didn’t use it the first year and regretted it. Yes my bike has a flattened top tube and I had a good enough position but CX involves carrying for seconds, the three peaks probably up to 30minutes. You’ll also be holding onto the ground on the first hill, it is steep.

Good luck and enjoy it. I’m not taking part this year so bound to be sunny.

2tyred

Did my first 3peaks last year and I’m in again this year.

I’m not a fan of Camelbaks but after some experimenting that’s what I went with last year and I’ll do the same again this time round. Figured that with no-one to hand me bottles, the fear of losing one would be significant, plus the cages would interfere with shouldering the bike. You’re carrying the bike a fair bit, its worth making it comfortable.

Got the smallest Camelbak I could find, half-filled the bladder with an apple juice/water mix and was able to squeeze in the emergency blanket thing, 2 inner tubes, pump and minimal toolkit without it being bulky. Bit of food and gels in jersey pockets, pipe lagging on the top tube near the junction with the seat tube and it was fine. Stashed a bottle of isotonic drink behind a wall near the foot of Penyghent which I retrieved and guzzled as I started the climb. I’ll do pretty much the same thing this year I reckon, probably get the kids to hand me the final bottle as we’re staying in Horton this time.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘CX Bike Bottle Mounting Problem – Well carrying bike problem..’ is closed to new replies.