Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • CX bike a general workhorse?
  • tinybits
    Free Member

So, getting back to fitness, I am riding my road Boardman Comp which, to be honest, I don’t like. It’s a bit to do with it being a road bike around the mendips / somerset backroads which are often practically gravel fire roads, a bit to do with Sram – the gears simply aren’t as good as Shimano, and the shifters don’t fit my hands, and maybe a bit because I’m a bit of a snob!
    However, I also want to be able to take the kids out on a crossbar mounted carrier, or towing a tagalong (depending on which child), be able to nip down a bridleway when the mood arises, cruise through the old quarries on my way around the hills and fit some good mudguards in the winter to be able to train without getting proper crappy as well as going on some 50m+ rides. I know I should be able to do all the cx bike, I’m looking at a cycle to work bike, so £1k (ish) and so far have seen a Cannondale and a Giant that look ok for that price.
    What I’m wondering is, what am I missing? Should I be looking at something different as my do it all? This isn’t going to replace the mountain bike, it’s as well but I may trade the Anthem for something for bigger hits as well.

stox
    Free Member

Pretty much the same reasons I’ve just got one.

Commuter, winter bike, hitch a kids trailer to and for a bit off off road fun myself .

I got a cannondale caad x 105 – brakes are crap but loving it.

tinybits
    Free Member

Ah, that’s the bike I was looking at! Upgrade it with Avid bb7’s?

stox
    Free Member

Folks on here recommend TRP Spyres so they’re on the ‘list of things to purchase’

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d have thought a ‘CX’ bike ould be a bit uncomfortable after a while, they’re built stiff for ~1 hour races spent mostly out of the saddle sprinting up hills.

One of the more “touring, without the beard and sandles” bikes like the CDF might be more suitable? I’d be worried about putting kids seats on an out and out race bike.

stox
    Free Member

I’d be worried about putting kids seats on an out and out race bike.

That’s why I got a CX bike … I have an ‘out and out race bike’ and I’m not using that for the young one

tinybits
    Free Member

The lower end xc bikes seem to be more relaxed geometry, not really designed to be thrashed it appears?

Basil

Anybody got one of these yet?
    Link

Ben_H

Try a Cotic Escapade. Really happy with mine – currently running 105 transmission, BB7s, Hope / Stans wheels and 35c cyclocross tyres (which are just fine on the road, despite my fears).

deets

I built up a Planet X Uncle John last year and it’s become my most used bike. It’s acted as a mud-guarded winter road bike, panniered tourer and off road mile muncher – really surprised me what terrain it can handle with 30mm nobblies on. I’m sure other frames/bikes are similar, but the idea of getting such a bike is definitely a good ‘un.

theredsnapper
    Free Member

I’m in the Croix de Fer gang, love it, very versatile, just dead good fun and seems very planted, and it’s got all the options you said above….new Genesis range due out on July 1st too…so either cheap 2014 models going cheap or see what the new range brings..;)

Red

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘CX bike a general workhorse?’ is closed to new replies.