Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • CX and cantilevers
  • bigbang
    Free Member

Just got a CX bike with canti brakes.Changed the rear wheel to one which must be a wider rim and now the brakes need adjusted for it to fit.Before I make a royal balls of it,is there any easy adjustment for that,or any basic do’s and donts.Im seeing so many things to adjust,eg: spring tension,brake block height,straddle wire length,yoke height etc etc. Will likely end in tears and a bill from the LBS. any pointers appreciated.They are Avid Shorty Ultimates if that helps.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Get your pads at the right height, angle and toe in to the rim first, if you can let the springs off it makes this easier.

Then adjust yoke height and straddle wire length, 90 degree angles with bakes applied is a good starting point. Generally, larger angles between arms and wires give more power but limit tyre clearance.

Adjust your spring tension to give even pad clearance and stronger return action.

qwerty
    Free Member
    m360
    Free Member

Must admit, I struggled with mine last-night, after picking the bike up yesterday. Got them working eventually! I haven’t read this yet, but intend to once I print it off.

Avid Shorty 4 instructions

Next job is to work out how adjust the reach of the levers, they’re just a bit too far away, even for my man-hands!

bigbang
    Free Member

Tried following the avid instructions but as you would expect it sounds like a breeze.As for Sheldon?? (I’m dozing off at even the thought of him!). Neilwheel,sounds like good practical advice,I’ll give it a whirl.Is it a fact with these things though that everytime I swap in a different width rim,it’s back to the start everytime?

john_l
    Free Member

Shorty Ultimates are completely different from the Shorty 4s linked above. You’ll need a 15mm come spanner to adjust the tension & spacing from the rim & yes, if the rim width changes then obviously the distance to the pads will change.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘CX and cantilevers’ is closed to new replies.