Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • CX 1*11 chain length / mech set-up
  • jamiep
    Free Member

I’ve gone single ring as I found I was typically somewhere between the 34T and 50T on a Compact and the simplicity appealed for racing. I’ve gone I/O 38T front, 11-32 rear. Sram Rival 22 so non-clutch.

However, the limit screw for the big sprocket isn’t having an effect, the chain isn’t making it as far as the outer 32T sprocket.

Only winding out the b-screw seems to get the chain in the right place (however, the mech isn’t fowling with the b-screw in ANY position). I guess the chain is too long and the b-screw fully wound is putting the chain under the required tension to get it up to the biggest sprocket.

Is chain length the likely issue? I measured using the normal big/big while out of the mech and it was between links and so I went a link too long rather than a link too short

Oh, chain and sprocket are 200ish mile old, mech is older

jonathan
    Free Member

Will that mech go to 32 tooth? The short cage Rival 22 seems to only (officially) got to 28, but the mid cage ones will do 32t.

A looser b-screw (ie “wound out”?) will usually result in better shifting as the top jockey is closer to the sprockets.

I’d take a link and and check the b-screw tension with the chain off to get the top jockey as close as you can to the block.

The other thing that might cause an issue it the position you mounted the single ring – eg putting it in the outer slot may cause chainline issues when going for your biggest sprocket.

jamiep
    Free Member

Ta. It is medium cage. Went up to 32T fine with a Compact double.

Chainring is in the normal outer double position. Could maybe put it inside the crank instead.

All was fine with
    32 cassette and 34/50 double or
    28 cassette and 40T single (different sized chains, of course).
    Not fine with 32 cassette and 38T single – mech not going all the way to the big sproket

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘CX 1*11 chain length / mech set-up’ is closed to new replies.