Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cwmcarn – Twrch blocked today
  • stgeorge

Hi all, just a quick heads up for anyone heading to Cwmcarn over the weekend – Did Cafall this afternoon, then onto the Twrch trail, got onto the section after little concrete up-ramp (dunno what it’s called but above Harsons Lodge on map) about 200m in there’s a huge tree across trail, looking for way round and chainsaw starts up, 30 secs later another tree crashes down across the path, luckily other side of first one!

Definitely no way round this afternoon, so had to come back down on tarmac/fireroad as the tarmac road around top also shut.

Bit annoying after climb, but hey ho. Told the shop , so probably best to ask in there if any update.

Impressed with Cafall as first time on it, really natural look and feel.

keppoch

How much of the Twrch is actually open at the minute? I thought a lot of it was closed/diverted due to felling.

stgeorge

How much of the Twrch is actually open at the minute?

All of it according to signs, just keep to trail when going through working areas advised.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    P-Jay
    Free Member

That’s a shame, I was hoping they were going to spare that last line of trees along that section. It’ll be another blown out, rocky section soon enough then.

martinhutch

Hi all, just a quick heads up for anyone heading to Cwmcarn over the weekend – Did Cafall this afternoon, then onto the Twrch trail, got onto the section after little concrete up-ramp (dunno what it’s called but above Harsons Lodge on map) about 200m in there’s a huge tree across trail, looking for way round and chainsaw starts up, 30 secs later another tree crashes down across the path, luckily other side of first one!

Hmmm. I think I’d be having a word with the ranger about that one!

You’d hope that closing the trail before dropping trees onto it would be an obvious idea.

milky1980
    Free Member

The section you’re on about is Castle Valley.

Was up there Thursday and noticed they had been taking down the trees below, right up to the trail. Not closing it or putting up any signs is very naughty 😯

Rosss
    Free Member

Rode Cafell today too, it’s riding really well. I’m glad now my brother’s back wheel exploded and we didn’t do Twrch!

hambl90
    Free Member

Just rode the twrch trail and despite there being no closed signs I’d definitely avoid the twrch this weekend. Two lots of trees down on castle valley.

milky1980
    Free Member

Was there this morning too and as I was packing up at 11 the ranger turned up and stuck a notice up on the start saying the Twrch had a few trees down on Castle Valley, use the fireroad instead. There’s also one across the Cafall that’s been there for over a fortnight!! A young one that you can duck under with a dab but still, a sodding fortnight 😕

tdoyle
    Free Member

We’re off to Cwmcarn tomorrow, has Twrch now been sorted do we know? I’m assuming all is ok with Cafall?

awh
    Free Member

I did the Twrch yesterday and it was all open up to the concrete ramp (Castle Valley I think). There’s a diversion back down to the final descent from the road to the car park. Cafall was all open.

And trail conditions were absolutely perfect!

tdoyle
    Free Member

great stuff, thanks. Looking for ward to it!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn – Twrch blocked today’ is closed to new replies.