• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cwmcarn – Twrch or Carfall
  • gaberin
    Free Member

Planning to go to Cwmcarn today, is Twrch open or is it worth riding with diversions or should i just do Carfall? Not been to Cwmcarn before.

Cheers
    Gabe

jedi

carfell is a lovely trail

wrecker
    Free Member

We don’;t know what the rebuilt twrch is going to be like yet. Mind you it’s still likely to be better than Cafall.

nickjb
    Free Member

Cafall is great. Really natural feel to it. I believe the Twrch is due to fully open thus weekend. Not sure if that means you can ride it now or they will do a big reveal on Saturday

qwerty
    Free Member

Twrch reopens on Saturday.

philwarren11
    Free Member

IMO cafall is a better trail. And with twrch just being reopened, probably with diversions and temporary surfaces i know which one i’d do.

Cafall doesnt take long, if you got time do both.

sofabear
    Free Member

Never ridden Twrch but Cafall is lovely. The final descent from the start of Pedal Hounds is well worth the effort to get there.

fathomer

Ride both? Neither are that long.

However, if just one and it’s open and like it was before, Twrch is probably the better of the two.

gaberin
    Free Member

Great thanks guys, got a 2 hour drive down so probably won’t have time for both unfortunatley.

kimbers

Both ! With some lunch in the cafe

Except twrch doesn’t reopen till Saturday, I’m a bit sceptical as to his much will actually be open/rideable tho ?

P-Jay
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

Both ! With some lunch in the cafe

Except twrch doesn’t reopen till Saturday, I’m a bit sceptical as to his much will actually be open/rideable tho ?

I’ll be up there Sunday, but as far as I can tell the climb is largely untouched, the Airwaveflow – whatevever the old Freeride is called now is untouched, as is the bit from the concrete slab down – it’s the middle third…. It’s going to be a bit sad riding it tree-less, I hope they left that tree stump feature – I really like that.

LoCo
    Free Member

Looking forward to riding the ‘new’ Twrch after it’s bedded in a bit, character will be completely different especially once it’s weathered should get nice and rough/techy as should be quite exposed now alot of the trees have been felled. 😀

zomersetglider

I rode the Cafell trail on Wednesday, forgotten what a great trail it was- really enjoyed it.

Like others, sad to see the forrest having the crap felled out of it due to the larch decease…I understand that the whole of the forest pretty much has to go

😥

qwerty
    Free Member

We’re still good to re open the Twrch #MTB trail Cwmcarn Trail Centre tomorrow morning. IMPORTANT NOTE: that the trail remains in the boundary of the ‘live’ harvesting site however is not affected by the work. It is imperative that all riders stay on the waymarked trail. If there are incursions in to the work site the trail will have to be closed again so please do your bit to keep it open! There will also still be a short diversion on the climb from the main car park to the Paylodge. Please share and re post to spread the message. I will be about the trail tomorrow also so stop and say “hi” Happy riding! #MTBtrailupdate #trailupdate #NatResWales #Cognation

https://www.facebook.com/Cwmcarn-Trail-Crew-148669965176028/

May head over on Monday morning, be interested to hear feedback from this weekends riders.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Twrch is running great, a little draggy with the mud but it’s one tough old climb it’s 95% open and running as before.

taxi25
    Free Member

Just did a lap of Cafall, it was running great 😀 I’ll leave Twrch for a few weeks to give it a chance to bed in.

taxi25
    Free Member

DP.

kimbers

Great news pitchpro, cheers for the update

wrecker
    Free Member

Very happy to report that Twrch hasn’t really changed at all. A tiny muddy bit in the middle which needs to bed in (maybe 70m or so), other than that running as well as I can remember.

TexWade
    Free Member

Second comments on Twrch – a few new open sections but trail in good condition and remains good fun. Climb hasn’t got any easier though !

P-Jay
    Free Member

Rode this morning – it seems to bedded it quiet well over night, there’s a slippery bit just after the bit that runs next to the road after the freeride, it’s a climb and I had the back wheel spinning but it’s only short it’s 5mm deep, just slippery. There’s a patch of deeper mud half-way down the next bit that nearly had me off but that’s it, the rest of the trail is running beautifully – all the crap laying about when it was diverted is gone.

Saying all that, whilst the trail is good as ever it looks like a bomb site with the trees gone, I know they had to do it, but it’s a horrible mess – I expected to see a Native American with a tear rolling down his cheek around every corner.

therag
    Free Member

I’ll give it a go Tuesday, hopefully the climb isn’t as tough anymore.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah hold onto that thought therag…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn – Twrch or Carfall’ is closed to new replies.