• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cwmcarn trail conditions
  • dan45a
    Free Member

Anyone been up there this week? Much snow on the trails? Wondering if it worth a trip tomorrow or Saturday? Thanks

coatesy
    Free Member

Still pretty thick on the sides of the road through the village, i’d guess the trails will be much the same.

nicksee
    Free Member

By the looks of cwmdown’s latest photo link, i would say wait a couple of weeks!

ell_tell
    Free Member

Hmm, was planning a ride up there on Sunday. As Cardiff is pretty much clear of snow I naively assumed ‘just down the road’ would also be pretty thawed out by now. Guess not!

Wonder what the road leading to the car park is like?

LoCo
    Free Member

Everything is going to be an ice rink up here tomorrow morning as very cold, still 10 to 12″ inches snow in the bottom of the valley and loads up top I’d guess, not sure the trail will be passable at the weekend, going to go for a play anyway 😀

ell_tell
    Free Member

When we had the last heavy snow back in 2010 I went up there. It was only me and one other chap and it was quite a laugh* so that’s why I’m tempted by this weekend – just don’t want the car to get beached anywhere.

*despite not being able to make it up the fire road climb without spinning out every few yards!

zerocool

It’s supposed to get pretty warm up there (7 -8 degrees) over the weekend so that should help get rid of the snow and ice

LoCo
    Free Member

Still pretty cold up here, access road closed, but can get in through the the village, carpark has a track cleared round it but spaces under about 12″ snow, going to be a lot more further up the trail, will take a couple of days to clear i reckon.

Keva
    Free Member

I’m hoping to get a ride in Sunday afternoon

dan45a
    Free Member

Any update on this? Was a lot of rain in Cardiff last night with more coming tonight. Anyone been up there today?

milky1980
    Free Member

The climb on the Twrch is always a fair bit colder in the winter due to not getting any direct sunlight, so it usually takes a good few warm days to melt any snow and ice in there.
    Spoke to a mate who lives in Cwmcarn and he said there’s still loads of snow in his back garden, so I very much doublt it’s rideable. Pity as I was going to go there myself!!

dan45a
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound good. Just read that “the wall” at afan is ok so may head there instead. It’s 9 degrees and raining in Cardiff now so hopefully should help shift it soon…

T1000
    Free Member

Rode the gap today everything was thawing rapidly +5 at the top, you should be fine at Cwmcarn especially as its a lot lower….

ell_tell
    Free Member

Pretty heavy rain in Cardiff atm. If it speads east might help thaw Cwmcarn out a bit. Maybe 🙂

Twin
    Free Member

It doesn’t get to 7-8 degrees in Cwmcarn in the summer! We’ve had a bit of rain but the trail is still very, very ropey with drifts all over the place.
    I work in Port Talbot, just round the corner from Afan, all the snow is pretty much gone now.

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

It’s going but there are several sections where it’s still deep slush, all good though.

dan45a
    Free Member

Been up cwmcarn this morning… Road in is closed so you divert through the village.

Did the Xc loop, the forest climb has a fair bit of snow on it 6 inches or more in places with a lot of fallen trees over the trail so plenty of hike a bike!! Up top was clear as were most the descents. A fair workout but good day out 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

I rode it this afternoon. What normally takes an hour and ten minutes took one and a half hours so it’s not too bad. 50 minutes to do the climb. Plenty of snow and slush in places, a few parts unrideable where it gets quite deep but I was able to run through it with the bike. Quite a few fallen trees across the trail, one bit where you have to go down the bank a fair way and drag the bike through the trees to get around it and then back up on the trail. All in all an interesting ride, glad I made the trip. Funnily enough I didn’t feel like doing two loops when I got back to the car. 😕 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn trail conditions’ is closed to new replies.