Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cwmcarn or Afan for mtb beginners?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Planning a trip to S. Wales next weekend and I'd like to go to Cwmcarn as not been before but wondering if Afan is safer for my mates with limited mtb experience. I ask as I have head that the Twrch trail at Cwmcarn is a more demanding trail than Afan – from what I remember Penyrhid is OK for anyone I think.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I always thought Cwmcarn would be less suitable but my wife actually got on a lot better there.

Whites at Afan is probably a no no for beginners. The Penhydd and the Wall would be ok.

If you do Cwmcarn, the climb is the hard bit really. I've found taking beginners into the start of the climb, switching to the road when you get to the gate house, then resuming the climb at giants finger seems to work quite well for beginners. This misses out what I think is the hardest and most demoralising bit of the climb for newbies. (Alternative, manning up is an option and just pushing up the hard bits of the climb lol)

mudshark
    Free Member

Once the climb is done are the downhill sections OK or are there tricky rocky sections, tight switchbacks, risk of falling over cliffs…?!

nickc

Penhydd is more accessible I'd say. The climb at Cymcarn is hard, and Afan offers a better "day in the Welsh hills" experience

robinbetts
    Free Member

Nothing too bad, but the second to last decending section does get a bit rocky. Not going to fall off many cliffs, although someone in front of me yesterday did topple down a bank and into a bush, but that was slipping on the climb apart from getting wrapped in brambles I think he was ok!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah, that's a good point, as you also have the glyncorrwyg centre for dossing about in afterwards. Cwmcarn probably has the less demanding descents after the climb though.

FuzzyWuzzy

Cwmcarn has some switchbacks and a rocky section at the top of the final descent, it's easy enough just to stay on the brakes and roll down though. The rocky section is quite exposed with a steep slope of to one side but I doubt you'd be at risk of tumbling down it unless you were going at warp speed and pointed your bike that way.

I'd say the only slightly dodgy thing will be that you haven't done it yourself before so can't warn the rest of the group where they need to pay attention (like the little step down by the fencing after the freeride section).

mcboo
    Free Member

Have not been to Cwmcarn, we did a weekend in Afan last month. I dont think there is much there that a relative beginer needs to be worried about, I cant actually think of any really sketchy sections, just a few little drops they might want to walk over but could ride if they knew they could (if you know what I mean). Was a fella out with his 9yr old just taking it nice and easy and having a whale of a time.

I wouldnt do Skyline again, lots of zzzzzzz forest roads between singletrack though that might be just the ticket for your pals. W2 (Whites and the Wall combined) is a good trail and you have the break at Glyncorrwyg if you start at the other end.

Fitness will be the main barrier to big fun day out I reckon. Both are a fairly long way and the climbs out of the valley are proper ones.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

My advice would be not to bother with Cwmcarn. If you are an XC whippet and can climb and downhill well it is brilliant. But as for beginners I would avoid. You need to boost new riders confidence not shatter them.

Try an easy Afan adventure, aviod Glwncorg and stick to the old visitor centre as advised above.

Carpediem
    Free Member

I've only Been Biking since May, but found the first time i did Penhydd i wasn't phased out at all.The same with the Wall too. ( although the graveyard section caused me a few problems )

As long as your mates don't try to keep up on the downhill's and go at their own pace, both should be fine.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Penhydd is an ideal trail for beginners IMO. Some get a little spooked by the Hidden Valley section, but there's nothing really bad in there, it's more about building confidence.

FuzzyWuzzy

I've not done The Wall but I don't think anything at Afan is any harder than Penhydd's Hidden Valley section. I'd agree that overall Penhydd is very tame and suitable for beginners but the Hidden Valley could be a scary given the ciff-like slope if you get it wrong :p If someone is fine through Hidden Valley they'd be fine on White's and Skyline to IMO (although it is perhaps easier to build up too much speed on those due to the longer and more open descents).

stumpyjon

I'd agree with the consensus, Cwmcarn's climd is hard, downhill is fine although that little rooty drop mentionned earlier seems to freak people out, nearly hit a couple of people there who suddenly pull up short.

Penhydd is the best all round beginners trail, The Wall is Ok although I nearly topped myself in the graveyard last time as I'd just done W2 and was mentally and physically knackered. I definitely wouldn't recommend W2 or Skyline for beginners due to the overall length and the descents at the end when tired.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Managed to drag my teenage son (reasonably competent) and his mate (less so) round the Wall a couple of weeks ago. His mate was riding a heavy bike with v-brakes and pretty inadequate forks but he made it round without any issues.
    My original plan was to do W2 with 'em but it became clear on the long ascent that son's mate was not up to it, so we cut it short and just did the Wall. Kids eh – no stamina!
    There's nothing at all on the Wall to upset beginners – you just end up doing it at a very leisurely pace.

Have fun.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn or Afan for mtb beginners?’ is closed to new replies.