Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Cwmcarn – opinions
  • Seems we are doing BPW uplift Saturday (in Feb), staying overnight in Crickhowell and picking Cwmcarn for some trail riding on the way home Sunday.

Is it worth a visit and how does it compare to, say Llandegla?

kimbers

the xc route at cwmcarn is good fun, rides well in the wet (whicj may be good)

its surfaced, rocky a bit loose in places, last descent is fun

you can jump on the uplift if theres spaces for 7quid a pop i think
    the DH run is reasonably long with a good gradient

wiggles
    Free Member

Only one xc trail (new one is supposed to be open soon but not sure??) But is a decent red, bit of a lung buster.

DT78
    Free Member

I really enjoy it. Normally do 3 laps of the xc trail when I go. About an hour a loop is a reasonable time. Top boys blast it in 45….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, a really nice old school xc trail centre loop. Lovely, interesting climb, too.

kayak23

Climb is pretty tech in places. Very fun descents. Went last weekend.
    7 quid for one uplift!!! 😯

flap_jack
    Free Member

Why would you uplift ? The climb is the best bit !

fuzzhead
    Free Member

XC trail is good, DH trail is fab. Do it.

andyrm
    Free Member

DH runs are brilliant – very fast, some awesome sections. On a good day with the uplift you can get 11, sometimes (dependent on light and buses) 12 runs in. And probably the best uplift bus banter/abuse I have ever encountered too 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Best trail centre ever, I reckon. Trail surface is eroded which makes it rocky and quite tricky in places, but not so much it’s a problem. First bit is one big climb which is interesting and challenging; second bit is up and down very fast singletrack, and the last descent is a blast. Just make sure you time your air properly on the fades otherwise you’ll definitely beat your mates back to the car park…

Oh yeah and the DH course is entirely doable for an XCer with just a smidge of caution. Nothing dangerous at all as long as you don’t hit every jump flat out. And you can ride up the XC course climb, do a short road section and do the DH. OR you can ride all the way up the road, which is steady and not very steep.

jairaj

Highly recommended by me. Rode it for the first time just after xmas. Had load of fun on the XC route, the climb is engaging and the decent is good fun too. Really good all-round fun trail.

There is also a red and black DH route too. Black was closed when I went but we gave the red a go which for me was really good fun, doable on a trail bike, you don’t need a full on DH bike. I think uplift was £3 or £4 a single run.

gdj001
    Free Member

I have a love/hate relationship with cwmcarn. The climb is brutal, but technical and it certainly feels longer than its 14k distance

creamegg
    Free Member

i love cwmcarn, one of the better trail centre trails. Shame its so short

Wont be doing it on a DH bike, that’s for sure – not doing BPW on a DH bike either – Enduro SL.

Will be sticking some High Roller II’s on for BPW, full face and plenty of protection – will switch back to Eskars and trail lid/knee pads for Cwm.

Cheers for the replies – looking forward to it, just need to get some dirt under my wheels before I go now!

rob1984p
    Free Member

Did a couple laps on my hardtail during the summer and was surprised by how tough some of the technical climbs were, I expected that a trail centre loop would be sanitised and easy but bits were a right swine…which was great.

wiggles
    Free Member

Based on all your raving reviews I should really ride it more as I live 10 mins away…

rhysw
    Free Member

£3.50 an uplift, £25 for a full day

jimster01

Absolutely love cwm carn, must book a day pass to get down there again.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I must be in the minority. The whole XC loop bored me to tears. And to add insult to injury, we did it 3 times, because it’s so short.

All the way up, then back down again. The down definitely doesn’t warrent the climb. Hopefully the new loop they put in will be better 🙂

johnny

…and on the subject of the second loop, any news!? I’ve been holding off booking a trip in since early December in the expectation it would be opening soon? LSt thing I heard was the black DH was closed and the red had been altered a bit, whilst the new XC loop had issues with MX bikes using it…

Anyone seen owt happening?

core

The climb seems longer that it really is, it’s quite technical for about 1/3, very technical, rocky and rooty in some places, hard to keep momentum, and in general a bit of a drag.

I like the descent though, the first section (of the xc loop, not the black) is like a channel cut into the ground, quite fast & flowing, banked corners. There’s a couple of short climbs after that but nothing bad, and I really enjoy it after that, although it is maybe over a bit fast after that climb.

scant
    Free Member

cwmcarn trail is nice & flowing. by far the most technical trails are the hidden natural & more recently built secret stuff in & around the cwmcarn are

new trail should be open fairly soon & is longer than current xc trail

jairaj

That’s why I love the climb. I prefer a climb to be engaging and make you use some skills to get over it rather than just use the Jeremy Clarkson approach of “MORE POWER!” (mainly because I have no power to give).

Also I didn’t feel the need for big grippy tyres and full face when I went to BPW. I only did two trails a blue and red but there was plenty of grip, even in recent conditions and even with my normal Ignitors didn’t feel I needed more grip from the tyres. The trails I did were just like trail centre descents. Just the obstacles where not spread apart and come at yo in short succession.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I must ride a different trail because i think it sucks.

Backwards in the dark is the way forward tho.

molgrips
    Free Member

The whole XC loop bored me to tears

What? What do your favourite trails have? Dancing girls? Fireworks?

It might be boring if you trundle along with your brakes on but if you give it some welly it’s definitely not boring.

LoCo
    Free Member

Second loop is just having final touches to it and needs to be signed, so I’m told.
    The oridinal DH track has had a few tweak and maintainance so take it easy on your first run down if you haven’t been for a while 😉

Also I didn’t feel the need for big grippy tyres and full face when I went to BPW. I only did two trails a blue and red but there was plenty of grip, even in recent conditions and even with my normal Ignitors didn’t feel I needed more grip from the tyres. The trails I did were just like trail centre descents. Just the obstacles where not spread apart and come at yo in short succession.

Not meaning to be antagonistic, but how can you determine what is suitable if you did one red and a blue. We will be there all day and no doubt hitting some of the blacks at speeds beyond our skill level 😉

weeksy

I didn’t enjoy Cwmcarn at all when I rode it… I’ve not been back and am in no rush to do so.

Mintyjim

Is the DH run now open again? It was shut when I went before Xmas.

Incidently I love Cwmcarn, it’s a cracking blast for ‘real men’ only!, and it’s on the way home from work from me 🙂

dynebaruk
    Free Member

I’m with the minority here. I liked the climb in terms of technicality, but the descent(s) were rubbish. Not a patch on Afan in my opinion.

I won’t be returning to ride there again, apart from to try the new loop when it opens.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s nice and rough. Cannock fans won’t like it.

bails

It’s nice and rough. Cannock fans won’t like it.

😉

It’s really not that rough. And there’s that weird section after the ‘jump park’ with the narrow bit along the fence that spits you into a 90 degree turn up a big concrete slab.

If I lived down the road from it then I’d ride there loads(only been 2 or 3 times) but it always feels like it could be so much better, given the terrain available and it’s not good enough to warrant a 2hr+ journey each way.

I’ve preferred every other Welsh TC that I’ve been to (Penmachno, Mach, Nant, CYB, Afan).

But, if you haven’t been and you’re in the area anyway then give it a go.

MadPierre

I’ve done the uplift loads which is great. I also think the XC ain’t that great – only done it once and the best bit was the climb. Bit short and pretty much one up one down. Done the XC last descent more than once (cuz you can do it on the uplift) and it’s a bit boring compared to the proper DH run.

LoCo
    Free Member

The new loop will definatly make it worth the trip, long hard climb (harder than current one physically) and superb descent as well 😀 red and black graded stuff 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

t’s really not that rough

No it’s not. But it may be a bit too much for the average cannocker 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

No werewolves though, only a few mutant cannibal sheep

scruff
    Free Member

No it’s not. But it may be a bit too much for the average cannocker Mancunian visiting Cannock Chase

munrobiker
    Free Member

I was there yesterday- it’s held up well considering the wet. I was in the area for work and was going to ride the Forest of Dean, but their trail reports said it was “very wet”.

I’ve been a few times now, I’m from Sheffield. It’s OK- if you ride the climb in a oner it’s good, and descents, unusually for Welsh trail centres, are proper descents. They’re fast but not technical. The wind yesterday meant the jumps at the top were a bit of a no-go too. I can imagine if you were on a weekend warrior’s weekend away stopping regularly up the climbs it would feel like a lot of up for not a lot of down, in which case maybe try Afan instead?

creamegg
    Free Member

that spits you into a 90 degree turn up a big concrete slab.

that concrete section is rideable, although never managed it myself.

Cwmcarn (Twrch) used to be fairly rough which I liked but it’s been smoothed out a lot now and although still ok in a different way not as good. I like my trails as rough as the local girls 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

The concrete bit is pretty easy to ride, provided you know it’s there. It caught me out yesterday as the rain had made the edges of the trail very greasy- I went wide to turn up it but the front wheel washed out and almost spat me onto the fence.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn – opinions’ is closed to new replies.