• This topic has 76 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • cwmcarn. any good?
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Is cwmcarn worth a visit? I’ve not been there in about four or five years. Anyone ridden the xc stuff there recently

CheesybeanZ

When both trails are open its well worth a visit , check on thier web page for closures and condition updates.

i_like_food

I haven’t been there for a couple of months but only one of the Xc trails was open (the newer one). I enjoyed it and would go back. A couple of laps was enough to tire me out.

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s a wreck. The old xc was the best but trashed due to ongoing tree felling because of disease. The original DH is out of action also, at least for the uplift. The new DH I think is open and uplift working but though I’ve not done it I never hear great things about it. The only thing that’s any good is the new xc (Cafall), though I’m not keen on it myself. It’s got the same or more amount of killer climbing but the rest is a bit meh. The original xc had a lovely long descent.

Personally I wouldn’t make a big trip just for Cwmcarn now. If I was in the area with a day or half day spare then maybe.

kimbers

Once the felling is finished (which may be a while) yes
    Cafall is great but the old Twrch trail is 70%? closed at the moment

ransos
    Free Member

I think the new Cafall trail is great, and prefer it to the Twrch. Well worth a trip IMO, and it’s holding up well considering the weather.

wrecker
    Free Member

Cafall far tamer than twrch. It’s a blue in all but name (I think it’s only red graded due to being 24km).

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’ve always loved Cwmcarn,I had a great days riding there in November -2 laps of Cafell and a bike a hike plus climb up to do the final descent of the Twrch was enough to satisfy me .There is also lots and lots of ‘off piste’ riding all around the area so if you run out of things to do there your doing something wrong. 🙂

zerocool

I like the Cafall Trail, it’s got a lot of decent descents (enough to tire most people I’ve spoken to), the climb is a bit of a slog but then I’m just not a fan of climbing.

We go quite often and have sussed out a few short cuts to get to the top.

I actually prefer it to the old trail which had a technical climb that’s pretty had to complete without dabbing but the descent seemed very short and nowhere near as much fun as the newer trail.

The DH tracks were all right but lacked variety, it’s a shame they never built a few more trails/tracks there as it’s got a decent amount of height for it.

wrecker
    Free Member

I actually prefer it to the old trail which had a technical climb that’s pretty had to complete without dabbing

Agreed. The old trail was just harder. More technical. I can see why some people prefer the new school, less testing Cafall.

descent seemed very short and nowhere near as much fun as the newer trail.

What?!?!?!

ransos
    Free Member

Cafall far tamer than twrch. It’s a blue in all but name (I think it’s only red graded due to being 24km).

I don’t agree with that: it’s far easier to go fast on the Twrch descent because it’s less technical (must admit it’s ages since I’ve ridden it though, may have misremembered)

jamesfts
    Free Member

Not missing a huge amount with the old trail being closed, it had a good first climb and traverse along the top ridge but the final descent is very dull, essentially just a long rocky straight line. It did feel a bit more natural and not being surfaced like the new track is a bonus.

Popped down at the weekend, rode the new loop in full then did a few climbs back up the fire road (including a some of the more enjoyable sections of the loop) up to the newer Pedalhounds dh track which was entertaining enough – nice that you can do full runs without stopping for gates/stiles like the Cafall descent.

Enough there to keep you entertained though some much better riding in the area if you can find someone to show you.

wrecker
    Free Member

it’s far easier to go fast on the Twrch descent because it’s less technical

Couldn’t disagree more. Cafall is swoopy, tame trail. Beginner stuff compared with Twrch. Jeez, about a 3rd of the last (and only notable) descent is fire road!

ransos
    Free Member

Couldn’t disagree more. Cafall is swoopy, tame trail. Beginner stuff compared with Twrch. Jeez, about a 3rd of the last (and only notable) descent is fire road!

I think you could not be more wrong. Jamesfts is right: with Twrch, the descent is simply a case of holding on and descending in a straight line, with the enjoyment coming from your speed. No technical ability is required. In contrast, Cafall twists and turns down through the trees, and has some rocky exposed sections. There was very little fireroad (only short links) which makes me wonder if we were riding the same thing.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Cafall is swoopy, tame trail. Beginner stuff compared with Twrch

Both beginner friendly though the Cafall is mostly surfaced where as the Twrch (top section at least) is more rocky – though neither are remotely tech.

The Twrch unfortunately lacks anything resembling a corner until you reach the last section and then it’s 2 berms and a couple of chicanes. Not sure about the fire road you mention but at least the Cafall needs a bit of consentration (and the odd turn of your bars!) to get down quickly.

wrecker
    Free Member

You can remain seated through pretty much all of cafall. It’s a smooth blue trail. Anything more than a hardtail is over egging it.

ransos
    Free Member

You can remain seated through pretty much all of cafall. It’s a smooth blue trail. Anything more than a hardtail is over egging it.

Each to their own. Both are suitable for beginners (I took two novices there on Sunday) but as jamesfts notes, at least with Cafall you have to turn into some corners, rather than just sitting down and going in a straight line. Are you sure you did the proper Cafall descent – I didn’t see any fireroad on it?

wrecker
    Free Member

Yes, the tiny little steeper bit, then fireroad, then final descent (which requires a bit of climbing…..)
    The whole trail felt badly thought out and cheaply built. I don’t like the new smooth surfaces at all, especially in south wales where there is the material to build great trails literally everywhere. The new Penhydd left me feeling similarly disappointed.

jamesfts
    Free Member

You can, though you’d be doing it wrong… and quite slowly I’d imagine.

Having ridden a hardtail, 150 and 165 trail bikes down there the ht is indeed the most fun, though not the fastest way to the bottom.

wrecker
    Free Member

and quite slowly I’d imagine.

So you’re a riding god are you james *SWOON* Actually, if you have ridden a 165mm bike down cafell, I very much doubt you are.

ransos
    Free Member

Yes, the tiny little steeper bit, then fireroad, then final descent (which requires a bit of climbing…..)

There were some tiny fireroad sections to link the trail together (1/3 descending – I don’t think so!), and the climb makes for a longer descent.

The whole trail felt badly thought out and cheaply built

If it was cheaply built, it wouldn’t have held up so well to this extremely wet winter. I was amazed at the lack of mud.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Wouldn’t go as far as god 😉

Just pointing out there may be faster ways to get down a trail than sitting down top top bottom.

wrecker
    Free Member

I didn’t say I did, I said you could.

it wouldn’t have held up so well to this extremely wet winter

Did you see it last year? It was a bath!
    The problem isn’t the size of the climb, the problem is that it’s featureless and boring, like most of the trail is.

ransos
    Free Member

Just pointing out there may be faster ways to get down a trail than sitting down top top bottom.

I thought my short-travel FS was just about perfect – good for the climbs and not much slower than bigger rigs on the descents. I am a riding god, though. 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Did you see it last year? It was a bath!

I rode it last Sunday, after the wettest December on record. The trail was in fantastic condition. When did you last ride it?

The problem isn’t the size of the climb, the problem is that it’s featureless and boring, like most of the trail is.

Err no. Featureless and boring is the fireroad climbing that blights so many trail centres. This one twists and turns up through the trees. Much better.

wrecker
    Free Member

I rode it in the summer and haven’t been since. Last year I was going to Cwmcarn a couple of times a month at least (it’s convenient for me).
    I’d just as sooner go to ashton court as ride cafall and save some time and a bridge toll and they are quite similar in terms of tech and feel.

jamesfts
    Free Member

What is the next step down from riding God, riding Saint?

**If we’re playing silly buggers editing…

if you have ridden a 165mm bike down cafell, I very much doubt you are.

FYI there is other riding on those hills (Machen/Wiley etc) where a hardtail maybe isn’t the right tool for the job but taking a different bike for each part of the ride may be seen as a bit ott.

wrecker
    Free Member

What is the next step down from riding God, riding Saint?

Riding fairy? 😉

ransos
    Free Member

I’d just as sooner go to ashton court as ride cafall and save some time and a bridge toll and they are quite similar in terms of tech and feel.

It took about two hours to ride Cafall and it has long climbs and descents. Ashton Court is mostly flat, can be ridden on a CX bike, and takes 30 minutes. They’re not remotely comparable, other than they’re both in the woods.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Riding fairy?

Sounds good to me! 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

There are no long descents at cafall!
    AC and Cafall are both pedally smooth woodsy meanders.

ransos
    Free Member

There are no long descents at cafall!

The gradient profile says you’re wrong.

AC and Cafall are both pedally smooth woodsy meanders.

AC is. Cafall isn’t.

Of course, if your idea of descending is to sit down and go in a straight line, I can see why you prefer Twrch.

wrecker
    Free Member

If you ever go to BPW ransos; stick to the blues mate.

ransos
    Free Member

If you ever go to BPW ransos; stick to the blues mate.

*Swoon*.

wrecker
    Free Member

😛

jamesfts
    Free Member

If you ever go to BPW

Now don’t get me started on that bloody place!

faustus

I thought the Cafall was pretty good and I enjoyed it. Not especially technical, but good. A bit confusing because the pdf trail map says 24km but it is actually 14km, and climbing more like 500m not 795m (according to mine anyway). I think I prefer the variety of the Cafall to the Twrch. I think it’s a bit much to call it a smooth woodsy meander/blue though.

bombjack
    Free Member

Really like Cafall, decent workout and a good descent. Rides well on a 29er HT, and I’d imagine it would be a little more fun on the downs with a FS. Looking forward to my next time down that way tbh.
    BJ

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I was dissapointed by Cafall. I liked the descents but they only lasted a few seconds then it was through yet another gate and a short climb to the next one.
    I’d rather spend ages doing a big climb then drop the saddle and enter a world of flow and fun for as long as possible.
    That’s why I prefer BPW 😈

philwarren11
    Free Member

Twrch is a rubbish trail. All the descents bar the last bit loose too much heigh quickly with no real challenge.

The only time i’d ride Twrch is to do it backwards in the night. Now that is good.

I wonder how many people commenting how good/bad it is on here that actually ride it regularly? Cafall has changed loads since it opened with some sections feeling really natural.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘cwmcarn. any good?’ is closed to new replies.