Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cwm Rhaeadr and surrounding area
  • timidwheeler

We are planning a weekend in Llandovery. We really like the Cwm Rhaeadr red but want to know what else there is in the area to make a full day? The OS map shows a bridleway which goes over Mynydd Mallaen, is that likely to be rideable at the moment or will it be a miserable bog? Any other info about the area welcome. I have researched the Dothie Valley route but the suggestion is it sufferers in wet weather?

Thanks for any help

faustus

Not sure how Mallaen fares in the wet, but Doethie will suffer a bit. If you want trail centre then Brechfa isn’t far away, and there are other natural trails in Irfon forest and near Llanwrtyd Wells – but not ridden those myself yet, so they may not be great in the wet.

Stoner
    Free Member

The Doethie is really not much fun in the wet.

Ambrose of this ‘ere parish knows routes on the top and has promised to take me round there one day. Apparently there is a big “out there loop” that can be done, but no idea about how it rides in current conditions.
    He may see his name in lights and respond to the thread.

I love Cwm Rhaedr, currently my favourite mandmade trail around, and suits a singlespeed to a tee.

I nipped down for an overnight in the car park in my van not so long ago in horrible wet welsh weather, but still had a great day on the trail there and at Brechfa.

rusty90
    Free Member

Mynydd Mallaen will be a miserable bog! Plus parts of the bridleway only exist in the cartographer’s imagination (the bit that’s shown as a dead straight line). Even with a map and GPS we found navigating across the top from Caio forest to be challenging. Never been so happy to see a standing stone in my life (didn’t help that my comp[anion snapped his chain). The descent from the moor down to join the trail at Cwm Rhaedr was fantastic though.
    Definitely a summer ride.

timidwheeler

Will it be as bad if we go up the Cwm Rhaeadr climb, over the moor to the standing stone, then turn round and go back to Cwm Rhaeadr? Will that miss out the boggy/invisible bit?

rusty90
    Free Member

Yes, that’s a good plan. Misses out the worst bit.

Ambrose

Mynydd Mallaen will be a glorious bog. A cold one at that. You could do as suggested above though although it will be a bit of a slog and it gets a bit vague in places.

Have you thought about riding closer to Llanwrtyd Wells? the Real Ale Wobble routes will be OK to ride.

wallop

I could ride Cwm Rhaeadr all day.

timidwheeler

Have you thought about riding closer to Llanwrtyd Wells? the Real Ale Wobble routes will be OK to ride.

No I hadn’t. I’ve had a quick Google and not found any routes. However the real ale wobble looks great fun. Might have to put it in the calendar.

Ambrose

I can send you a couple of *.gpx if you want. Message me if you do.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve never been to this TC – what’s it like? Worth a trip?

Stoner
    Free Member

its a long way to go for a short circuit, but I love it and will happily ride around it 3 or 4 times.

Last time I went I also took my first run at some of the brechfa trails which were wonderfully quiet.

molgrips
    Free Member

Might try it on one of my spare days off this month 😀

chrispo
    Free Member

Mallaen is always a largely trackless bog and the descent is overrated imo. It’s nice for an adventure but not as a ride if that makes sense.

I would take up Ambrose’s offer of GPS files for the Irfon forest or go to Brechfa which is the easiest option or try the Crychan forest just north of Llandovery which also has some really techy enduro tracks if that’s your thing.

Crychan route that took in everything xc there, twice: https://www.strava.com/activities/692335467

Ambrose

Chrispo- I disagree about the descent. Once at the standing stone there is an ever increasingly fast descent down from the plateau back to the valley, topped off with the Cwmrhaeadr trail. It is really good. Really, really good.

timidwheeler

Thanks all. I will PM you Ambrose.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

There’s some good riding in the Irfon Forest – Llanwrtyd Check out the route in my book – sorry about the plug 🙂 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wales-Mountain-Biking-Tom-Hutton/dp/1906148139

I’m also of mixed views re the Doethie Valley – it’s always wet so perhaps a sensitive approach would work fine.

You’re also not far from the Beacons so the Gap would be a good all-weather option.

Give me a shout if you want some gpxs or general advice. Best to email mtbguiding@gmail.com

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’m up the road between Builth and Llandrindod. Not got round to getting down there yet.

Ambrose – I’ll PM you my email if you would be so kind as to share the GPXs with me too 🙂

When it dries out a bit, we ought to get a STW Wales pootle together.

shadowfax

Cwm R and Brechfa in one weekend is the best fun you can have with your clothes on.

I’d defintely be in for a STW day at one or the other.

timidwheeler

Thanks all.
    Tom, I have got your book and did consult it before posting. However I only looked at the chapter on South Wales, saw there wasn’t anything nearby and put it back on the shelf. I’ll try again.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mary hinge, where abouts are you? Many years ago I used to live in the house on the island in the lake between Builth and Llandod

Ambrose

Done. Stoner, do you mean Pencerrrig?

Stoner
    Free Member

yes. Gold y gors. Underneath Cefn Doris.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    Tom, I have got your book and did consult it before posting. However I only looked at the chapter on South Wales, saw there wasn’t anything nearby and put it back on the shelf. I’ll try again.

No worries 🙂 Again, if you need more info or GPXs, shout!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cwm Rhaeadr and surrounding area’ is closed to new replies.