Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Cwm Carn – new trail latest ?
  • samcheese
    Free Member

Frankly I won’t ride it again until we have a dry spell.

As far as I’m concerned the big plus of trail centres is the surfaces tend to hold up well in the wet. If I want to slog through mud I can ride local trails on Caerphilly Mountain.

On the other side the Twrch and Y Mynnydd were dry, fast and empty.

ianpv
    Free Member

I rode it yesterday – a fair bit of the climb and a couple of the descents are very muddy and rutting out. Descents were ok, it would be fun in the dry. I hope it beds in ok but it doesn’t seem to be armoured in a trail centre style. Twrch was dry and fun.

misterduncan
    Free Member

It’s pretty dry now. The first ‘top’ section is still a bit of a quagmire, but I reckon it’ll be dry in a week or two if the weather forecasters have got it right.

I really liked it. The climb was murderous in places, but well worth it. The gates are annoying, but didn’t spoil it for me. It felt like a cross between Gorlech at Brechfa and Twrch.

Put a nice big hole in my rear tubeless tyre going over some big rocks about 20m from the car park! Arses.

iain1775
    Free Member

Anyone know how it’s riding at the moment?

Got a work meeting in Taunton on Thursday, should be finished about late lunchtime so was thinking a quick diversion over the bridge on the way home, but don’t fancy it if its still really muddy as I will then have a 3+ hour drive home

rhysw
    Free Member

I did a double loop of it this afternoon and it’s running very fast in most places. Really good fun.
    The middle wood section is still a little slick but I really like it.
    It’s dried a lot over the last few days

kimbers

rode it on sunday, a bit sticky and slow along the top going up through the trees

and coming down from tha too but it was slidy and and lots of fun, rest was very dry and fast, loved it

iain1775
    Free Member

Cheers might give it a go then

deluded
    Free Member

Yesterday was the first and last time I will ride ‘Cafell’ at night in thick fog with a seatpost seized in the tall position!

An odd trail … not too sure what to make of it. Don’t want that to sound unappreciative. It’s clear a lot of time and effort has gone into building it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I finally got around to it yesterday. The climb is steady in terms of altitude gain but the uppy downy bits make it hard to get a rythmn going. Overall excellent though – hard work, not much chance to rest(although there are a few flat bits), and the descents are a fair bit more challenging than Twrch. Harder on the body too – my core got a good workout.

It was dry though, I can imagine it’d be worse in the wet. I’m just chuffed to bits that someone’s gone to all that effort in my (almost) back garden – whoever made that decision, I’m very grateful! Thanks! Now have the chance to do a serious amount of trail centre riding there – a lap of Cafell, a lap of Twrch then up Cafell to the Giant’s Carpark, switch to Twrch and finish on the DH 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Cwm Carn – new trail latest ?’ is closed to new replies.