Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cwm Carn – bike hire?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

hi chaps, i’m off to Cwm Carn on Saturday with a chum. I will be taking my bike, of course, but my mate doesn’t have one suitable. My options are to divert to Oxford (from London) en route to pick up my Scandal from my Dad’s house and lend him that. Alternatively, if there are any suitable spots nearby, he could hire one.

Any of you hired, or know of good hire options, at or very near to Cwm Carn? Good price and quality bike would be ideal.

Thanks!

mamadirt
    Free Member
    gearfreak
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers for the tips, guys. either of you used the shops in question? any other options, anyone?

LoCo
    Free Member

Both great shops, PS Cycles is just down the road from Cwmcarn.

theflatboy
    Free Member

alright, cheers. i’ll give them a buzz, see what’s what.

first time at CC, i’m not too worried about my own fitness but from what i’ve read the route’s fairly brutal at the start, is my mate going to die? 🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

PS will sort you out.

gearfreak
    Free Member

The climb is a bit of a shocker, but once you’ve got to the freeride section it’s mostly downhill!

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers and cheers!

theflatboy
    Free Member

any more helpful hints or info, anyone?

cardiff
    Free Member

Only if you are hiring a bike, one loop of the Twrch trails seems a bit short. I beleive there are other routes nearby, (afriad I don’t know where although I’d like to know!) might be worthwhile asking on here for suggestions.

Either that or you might do two laps or spend some time at the freeride section at the top playing around!

Other option is to ride up the Twrch and come down the downhill course.

Ant

greeble
    Free Member

Take it easy at the start if its your first time there, there are a few difficult bits between the carpark and the forst drive gatehouse. its easy to attack those full on then find you’ve not done any of the climb.
    If you find you’re struggling you can always hop onto the forest drive tarmac and take it easy to the next carpark.
    Once at the top I highly recommend taking a break, ride the freeride. Then once you get to the end of the freeride, ride back up the fireroad that runs alongside the freeride and do the singletrack section instead.
    on a good day it takes about 1hr 5 for me to get round. 1hr 30 including a break and doing the freeride and singletrack section.
    I took a novice around last weekend and we did it in 2hr 30mins and enjoyed every minute.
    take it easy and have fun!

diawl2
    Free Member

If you go up the fire road to the left of the Forest Drive pay lodge you can get over to Abercarn and have a play on the old Dragon DH course. OS map recommended to find your way. You could also head over to the Sirhowy Valley and explore. Some fun bits in there.

theflatboy
    Free Member

nice one, we were thinking we might do two loops but the freeride bit at the top sounds like a good option as well after we’ve done the loop once. cheers guys.

gearfreak
    Free Member

If you get back to the car park and want to do a bit more, ride the first part of the climb until you get to a fireroad crossing over. (Just after the gate), hang a right here and you will end up at the bottom section of the DH track, make sure there isn’t a bus load of DH’ers coming down and give it a go.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks mate.

theflatboy
    Free Member

ok, we went on saturday and had an awesome time – really impressed with the trail. nice level of technicality and can’t argue with pretty much only singletrack in a nice setting. really loved it, interesting first few miles ridding ourselves of hangover and curry induced lethargy from the previous night but good stuff all round.

very jealous that my mate now lives just 45 mins drive from the place!

gearfreak
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it, it’s even better when it’s a 45 minute ride away

theflatboy
    Free Member

also, the jump-laden freeride bit at the top, the black option, is amazing. including compensating for the crosswind on the tabletops! 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cwm Carn – bike hire?’ is closed to new replies.