• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • CV writing – how honest about the not so great stuff
  • PJay
    Free Member

I need to put a CV together. Hunting around on the ‘net I get the general impression that, in addition to educational history, a CV is pretty much a life-history. Anyone who read the recent depression thread may know that I’ve struggled with certain mental health issue, the result of which have been chunks of my life where I was ‘out of action’.

Now I’d never lie about anything on a CV, it’s just not worth it, but should I be completely open about the not so good stuff bearing in mind that I’m essentially selling myself? In some respects fighting back from the depths and going for it is a positive thing and may well be seen as an achievement, but I’m not so sure. There still seems to be a fair bit of prejudice are mental health issues but I do tend to feel that honest is the best policy.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have you got gaps in your work history? Have you been hospitalised? Gaps in work history need explaining.

I would say gloss over what you can – not to tell lies but just not to make it obvious. Most employers will do a health questionnaire as well before interview.

tails
    Free Member

I agree with you around there being great deal of stigma attached to mental health issues, and unfortunately I feel most peoples lack of knowledge around such subjects will effect your applications. For that reason I would either miss it out if possible or if it has taken over a number of years of your life, a reason will be needed. Perhaps you went traveling, traveled around the states by foot for example. Employers are not supposed to discriminate unfortunately they do.

What kind of work you looking for?

PJay
    Free Member

I do have sizeable gaps in my work history, although given an interview I reckon I could a reasonable account of myself and would have good references from my current place of work. I guess that it’s around not being dismissed out of hand. To be honest I think I’d rather say nothing than make something up.

I’m not looking for anything in particular, just additional work to help cover a forthcoming mortgage.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Personally I’d just leave them as gaps and await the questions, easier to say it face to face than explain it in the space you have on a CV. Any firm that wont give you an interview based on a few gaps that they havent given you the chance to explain is probably not worth working for.

dr_adams
    Free Member

i agree with coffeeking, my only comment would be to put something in the box, fo the gap, even if it is simply out of work, then it looks like you aren’t trying to hide it

coffeeking
    Free Member

“house husband” should suffice 😀 Though you may have to make up a marriage too 😀

spikerman_1
    Free Member

The Times is offering a service

http://www.thefullercv.com/timesonline.asp

crikey
    Free Member

If it’s a clown job, you can lie about having small feet 😉

JulianA
    Free Member

Plenty of gaps on my CV due to being between contracts.

Never been a problem, but I guess it depends on your line of work.

Good luck!

scotabroad

i would take the advice above and leave the gap in the CV.

The CV’s objective is to get you an interview, that is its no.1 function.

Once in the interview it is likely they will ask why the gap in employment, this is an opportunity for you to explain that you did have health problems but you tackled them and got back to full fitness. What you must do is use it as a positive story to tell. Focus on what you learnt from it, what you now know that you didnt before and how you are now a stronger individual. You should rehearse this “story” as a two minute soundbite to explain the gap if you believe it is an area of concern for the interview. You are in that interview to sell your positive attributes and why you can make a difference to that company, do not tell lies or gloss over it will come through in your interview weakly, preparation is the key. Use a mate/ relative for a mock interview.

ajf
    Free Member

just put the years of the jobs you worked instead of the months. e.g. 1996 – 2000 xyz job, 2001 – 2008 abc job.

They may ask for clarification at interview but at least you got the foot in the door.

As an ex recruiter I saw loads of CVs like that and never thought anything of it but did ask at interview

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good advice there from scotabroad and ajf

I have a very fragmented work history and just using years disguises the gaps a bit

PJay
    Free Member

Lots of good thoughts, thanks everyone. I’ll have a think and see what I can come up with.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘CV writing – how honest about the not so great stuff’ is closed to new replies.