Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cutting verges – will I die?
  • pondo

There’s a T junction just up the road from us, the corner gets overgrown and kills the sightline, making pulling out a “pin it and hope” affair. The land belongs to a farm – if I took the strimmer up and gave it a trim, will I get Deliveranced?

allan23
    Free Member

All the verges close to home have been left this year, new council advice apparently, leave them to grow and go to seed to help insect life.

First cut late July\August. Anywhere obscuring a junction is still supposed to be cut but like most councils they only have the intelligence to read the first instruction, anything further down the page is just words to ignore.

wwaswas

I’d contact your local highways dept – it’s not the landowner rushing at you with Bombers I’d be worried about it’s the traffic.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Can you park a transit on it?

kcal
    connect2

I’ve done exactly that at a couple of junctions for a few years. First time I did it the farmer headed my way and I thought ‘oh-oh, here we go!’ But he actually thanked me. Don’t know how it works round your way but don’t the verges belong to the council anyway?

spooky_b329

The only thing to be wary of is if there are rare plant there, round here they put yellow flower signs in the verge and they have to cut at the right time of year.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Allen23 clever marketing by your council.

More like council not paying to have verges cut. That’s what’s happened in my local area.

pondo

Will have a look for signs but not noticed any – no idea who owns the verge, but whoever it is needs to give them a trim, it’s a fairly quiet rural road but it’s dodgy as hell. I’ll have a little ride down there, won’t take five minutes. Thanks all! 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I regularly cut back the verges at our and our neighbour’s road ends, it only takes a couple of minutes and everyone feels a bit safer. There are a couple of stop and crossroads signs which can be obscured by trees, I make a point of pruning back those back so no one is in any doubt of the imminent junction.

pondo

Good thinking, always getting boy racers charging through the junction into the field beyond! Will scope it out and clear what I can. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cutting verges – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.