Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cutting steerer. How long for the first ride?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Going to start building my Patrol tonight and first job is fitting the fork/stem/bars.

I usually leave 20mm above and below the stem to allow for adjustment but always end up with just 20mm under the stem which means removing the forks again for a second cut. I’m tempted to just jump right in and lob the steerer right down but fear the worst.

Before I pass the point of no return, where does everyone else start?

Yak

Can’t you take some reference dims from another bike then add a bit for adjustment?

Anyway, I allow about 15mm total extra for tolerance usually.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sure I read somewhere that a fork wasn’t supposed to have more than 30mm of spacers so that’s what I start with. All under the stem. Eventually, the stem ends up slammed, then I cut the steerer again.

honourablegeorge

About the same, but I use a pipe cutter to take off the rest so i can do it without removing the forks – just pop the stem off.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Good point Yak, will check what the demo bike had.

Unfortunately I don’t have any pipe cutters so mr hacksaw will have to do!

clubby

Good investment a pipe cutter, so much neater than using a hacksaw. Pretty cheap at screw fix etc.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

My commitment issues mean that I can never cut steerers down fully.

I have plenty of bikes with 30mm of spacers above the stem. It probably looks rediculous, but I’ve been riding them like that for years. I figure I’m probably doing the future owner of the forks a favour by not cutting them down.

How many times have you seen forks being sold S/H annoyingly with steerers cut waaaay too short?

The trouble is, I will probably never sell the forks anyway..! 😆

Commitment issues..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cutting steerer. How long for the first ride?’ is closed to new replies.