Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cutting sleeves off old jersey / Inevitable silly tan lines
  • mjsmke

Had a few great rides recently taking advantage of the good weather. As a result the inevitable tan lines are starting to show. To try to even them out a little, and stay a bit cooler i’m after a sleeveless jersey. But rather than buying one that I’ll probably only wear a fe weeks a year during the short british summers i thought about cutting the sleeves off an old jersey that i’ve not worn for years.

Has anyone done this? Does the material fray a lot after a few washes or is it generally ok? The old jersey i’m thinking about cutting up has no seem where i want to cut. Instead the seem runs quite high and close to the neck. Not sure if this will cause a problem.

Any advice is much appreciated.

mjsmke

I guess no ones done this then?

creamegg
    Free Member

your butchering an old top so you’ll look like a hill billy anyway so does it matter if you have a few loose threads?

messiah
    Free Member

I tore one of the sleeves of this top on a tree branch years ago and rather than repair it I tore the other sleeve off.

I call it the wifebeater and it comes out to play when the weather is good enough… or it gets used as a vest hidden under other clothes.

Not had any problems with fraying and that was after tearing the sleeves off rather than cutting delicately 😈

tonyd

I have a close fitting hi viz gilet for commuting purposes. If it gets too hot I just wear that on it’s own.

iolo
    Free Member

If you do that you will become a riding god and women will throw themselves at you.

soobalias
    Free Member

i was skeptical too.
    so i picked the top that i didnt really like anyway, an olive green helly with zip and collar.

cut next to the seam, but its been washed several times and doesnt appear to be falling apart.

do look like a hick tho.

wordnumb
    Free Member

A mate of mine once took a knife to his long sleeved jersey mid-ride on Dartmoor. I think we all found a little more respect for the sweatshop slaves who make this kit that day, even simple alterations ain’t as easy as you’d think. Mostly we hummed the tune from Deliverance and told him he couldn’t come to the pub dressed like that.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I have a Fox sleeveless biking jersey. It’s the business for the really hot days… I’m not too bothered what it looks like, I love it!

mjsmke

I know I’ll look like a hillbilly but when it’s hot i’ll be glad of it.

Thanks for the replies!

creamegg
    Free Member

got to love the mountain bikers tan lines. White hands, tanned arms, white shoulders ;-p

Dibbs
    Free Member
    mjsmke
    TiRed

Exactly – or for us melanin-challenged, I wear a white compression top or a white long sleeved club jersey in this “challenging” weather.

ferrit
    Free Member

Sun’s out, guns out!

Me and mate Ewan got Sam into this on the TransProvence – he was loving it.

Wearing of wife-beaters is totally appropriate! Most jerseys don’t fray too much either.

Win.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cutting sleeves off old jersey / Inevitable silly tan lines’ is closed to new replies.