Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • cutting glass
  • kimbers

got some glass splashbacks for the kitchen but need to trim them down

anyone recommend a glass cutter?

one of these

or one like this?

any tips welcome, cheers?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Splash back glass may be tempered for safety. I doubt you’d cut that with a glass cutter.

If it is regular glass, either cutter will do. Place the glass on a flat surface with an old blanket underneath. If you have a draughtsmans T square use that for a straight edge, or get an extra pair of hands. Dip the wheel of the cutter in meths or turps to keep it cool and try and get one clean cut. Slide something thin along the line and try to bend the pane to induce the crack. I find that if I tap the underside the glass with the cutter I get a very poor edge.

project
    Free Member

touchened glass shatters assoon as a shap instrument cutsa the surface tension.

localglass merchant will do it for some cash

cloudnine
    Free Member

A Toyo cutter is what you want.. something like this..
    http://www.creativeglassguild.co.uk/prod/toyo-super-glass-cutter-tc1?utm_source=google-base&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=google-base-feed&gclid=CNKBt7-PwbYCFXMQtAodOG0ARg

But if its toughned take it to a pro. Otherwise a good straight edge and only one clean score with the cutter. You can then slip something like a knitting needle under the score and press down on the sides

saleem
    Free Member

If its toughened you’ll not be able to cut it, if it laminated you’ll need to cut on both sides then tap and snap and cut with a Stanley knife.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If its toughened it’ll be stamped in a corner. Laminate will have a tinge to it and you’ll be able to see the 2 layers.

coffeeking
    Free Member

And don’t try to cut old greenhouse glass. it just doesn’t work. trust me, I went through 10 panes before giving up!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Use a mower. Bruddy iriot.

robnav
    Free Member

you cannot cut toughened glass, laminated is ok but quite difficult for a novice. take it to a glass shop, they will only charge a couple of quid. where are you based, i may be able to recommend someone local.

robnav
    Free Member

you cannot cut toughened glass, laminated is ok but quite difficult for a novice. take it to a glass shop, they will only charge a couple of quid. where are you based, i may be able to recommend someone local.

kimbers

yeah its toughened,
    Im in west london robnav so any recomendations welcome

cheers
    all!

kimbers

yeah its toughened,
    Im in west london robnav so any recomendations welcome

cheers
    all!

wwaswas

As above, I thought cutting toughened at all was impossible.

andyl
    Free Member

you will need a new bit of glass.

I buy toughened quite often for flat moulds and ovens and the last piece of I got which was about 450x750mm 6mm thick cost about £20 + vat

Make sure you request polished/bevelled edges (will be a few £ more) and if you want any holes they need to be done first too.

Allow a week for turnaround as they normally get the toughening done as batch.

robnav
    Free Member

if its toughened then im afraid if it isnt the right size then you need to throw it in the skip. if pimlico isnt too far try glass express in lupus street, they will sort you out, ten day turnaround normally for new panels that have to be produced/toughened/painted/polished at their factory in ashford, kent,if you want something cut down or something they stock in the shop they should do it the same day if not while you wait, tell them bob recommended them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘cutting glass’ is closed to new replies.