Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cutting Down Thomson Elite Seat Post!
  • markymark1993
    Free Member

Hi just a quick maybe stupid question but after reading up some threads on Seat Post trimming going wrong, I just thought ad ask if their is anything to consider that I don’t know before cutting a down a post? It may sound boring but I paid quite a bit on a seat Post and after people saying on numerous threads that issues cutting Thomson posts can damage them I wanted to be safe than sorry.

The obvious – 1.Make sure your post has at least min insertion for that particular post.
    2. Make sure you know the minimum amount of post your frame need (80mm for me)

Is their anything else to consider ?

Also this sounds stupid but people make it sound complicating, say if the minimum insertion is 50mm and I trimmed the post. Would I then just simply measure 50mm from the bottom of the post ive just cut. Just making sure as some people make it sound so complicated.

Also my LBS will cut it as my bike needs to be in for a service anyway. Thanks

daveagiles
    Free Member

Why bother? Can’t be for the weight, otherwise you would have bought a lighter post.

tonyd

Might be a short seat tube? (think older Stumpy FSR for example).

IMO, if your post is 400mm long, has a minimum insert line at 100mm, and you need 100mm showing then I’d not cut it any shorter than 200mm, probably 250mm.

Depending on the post type there might be reinforcing in key areas, but you should have a max insert line if that is the case and I’ve only seen it on carbon posts.

Jamie
    Free Member

Why bother? Can’t be for the weight, otherwise you would have bought a lighter post.

I had to cut mine down as it was a 410mm, and hit the bottle bosses inside the frame before it was inserted to the height I wanted it.

Anyway, OP, I just cut the minimum I need to allow the above. Was about 40mm. Cut it with a junior hacksaw, using jubilee clip as a guide.

markymark1993
    Free Member

Nope I’m not a weight weenie by any means, I would only cut it if it was essential and for me which it is. The post I have is 367mm in length. The post wont go down as low as I like for when riding in downhill technical sections, but will go a lot higher than I need. I have done a rough estimate and would want to do a safe guess and cut it to 350mm. If i was a weight weenie I wouldn’t even consider a Thomson.

markymark1993
    Free Member

Yeah well I have an anthem 26” and the post wont go past the maestro mounts. Thanks for your reply.

daveagiles
    Free Member

Apologies to the OP.

markymark1993
    Free Member

No problems at all I thank you for your reply, I would rather not cut it if i had the choice lol.

markymark1993
    Free Member

Is their anything else anyone can add to the thread or is that everything…

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Got an already cut silver thomson elite post if you want it? It is just under 30cm.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I had a Thomson Masterpiece seat post. Had to cut it pretty much in half to get it on my DH bike. Ran it for years like that and still going strong on my Mrs bike.

The two points above are both important, after that, go for it!

markymark1993
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply gravity , Thanks mate but I have just bought an Elite myself.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cutting Down Thomson Elite Seat Post!’ is closed to new replies.