Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cutting a steel seatpost out of an aluminium frame
  • Harry_the_Spider

Anyone done it?

How time consuming was it and how easy is it to damage the frame?

Last resort time. Chemicals and brute force aren’t shifting this bugger.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive done ally out of Ti*.

Took a while and was fiddly as ****. But worked in the end.

Used a hacksaw blade bolted into a baton of wood.

* there’s actually an Al insert in the seattube on that Ti frame, so post and insert had bonded. It also meant that I had to be very carefully at the seat collar end as I couldnt rely on the hardness of Ti to shrug off any clumsy sawing strokes.

sambob
    Free Member

Cut just above the top of the seat tube and cut down the inside of the seatpost with a hacksaw blade. Don’t blame me if it all goes horribly wrong though.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks.

I’ll start it with my powered hack saw then thread up a normal one and finish it by hand.

Full susser with short seat tube.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Have you tried the hot air gun on the frame and ice in the seat tube approach?

konadad
    Free Member

maybe unfasted the seat clamp first 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Have you tried the hot air gun on the frame and ice in the seat tube approach?

Boiling water, PlusGas, enough force to break the seat clamp and swearing. None of which have shifted the bleeder.

takisawa2

You did try undoing the seat clamp didn’t you…
    🙂

Just Kkidding.

Is it turning at all ?
    Stilson might get it turning.

Cubed
    Free Member

Don’t do it – look for some old school engineering workshop local if possible – try getting it reamed out – and you may still have a usable frame afterwards.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hot air gun for more heat? You will hve to be very careful to cut it out without damage to the frame

Harry_the_Spider

Had a word with one of “the wise men” on our factory floor.

For the price of 8 cans of lager they are going to weaken the post by grinding away at it from the inside then crush it with a set of grips and pull it out. The scary looking (in an industrial dentistry sort of way) cutting tools will not come into contact with the frame.

Saves me a lot of trouble.

andyl
    Free Member

make sure they drink the lager afterwards 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cutting a steel seatpost out of an aluminium frame’ is closed to new replies.