Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cutting a curve in engineered flooring
  • DT78
    Free Member

I have to cut some flooring around the end of a curved step. Is there a foolproof way of getting a very close replication of the profile? I’m pretty fussy and being faffing about making a paper template but not confident that will be good enough.

Is there a tool out there? Someone like plasticine you can mould into the curve then transfer over as a template to scribe onto the floor to be cut?

scotroutes
    nickdavies

Can’t you just scribe it?

pk13

Do a paper rubbing like kids do on trees

TheBrick
    Free Member

Loads of masking tape down. Build up a template and peel off.

Another one is to get close then use a compass and pencil and scribe following the item you are fitting to.

But the best way maybe to hide errors. Can you add a thin layer of wood over the face of the step so that any gap is hidden?

maccruiskeen

Loads of masking tape down.

or glue gun and cardboard

AS shown at about 13.20 here [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4napZ3ZM0Og[/video]

slackalice
    Free Member

4mm ply cut a rough arc in it to get it closer to the stair and then scribe it using a parallel block that’s wide enough for you to scribe the curve onto your ply template.

You have a jigsaw…. use it carefully to cut to this line and transfer your template to the finished piece. Simple and foolproof.

finishthat
    Free Member

Router with bearing guided trimmer would probably do it = practice on scrap first.

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

can you under cut the riser so that the flooring slides underneath ? – I did this with the bnt on my stair so that you couldn’t see the cut and not have to worry about shrinkage

neilc1881
    Free Member

I’d do what slackalice said above, bit of old ply, rough arc first, get close enough and scribe. Used this recently to cut laminated boards to follow 3 pillars. Deepest cut left only 15mm of board , bit nervous connecting it but looks much tidier than joining on such a thin section where one will inevitably lift a little and look crap.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cutting a curve in engineered flooring’ is closed to new replies.