Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cutgate, Garburn Pass or Walna Scar – advice and inspiration please
  • tomj
    Free Member

First post on here, so go gently on me!

I’ve got a free day or two in a couple of weeks and, weather permitting, fancy getting out for a decent ride in some big proper hills, so I feel like I’m in the mountains rather than a forest trail centre. I live on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales, and have ridden a load of routes there so fancy somewhere a bit different, upto a couple of hours away, which really means the Peaks or Lakes.
    These routes have grabbed my attention but I’m not sure how technical they are and whether I’m going to die! I can ride most of the Dales descents and the red and descent line at Stainburn to give an idea of my skills and have done a fair few of the natural downs in Grizedale (Lawson Park, Nibberthwaite and Breasty Haws). How do my ideas compare to those?’ll probably be by myself (midweek) and am happy in the hills but don’t want to push it too much.
    I know Garburn and Walna have been dumbed down recently, but by how much, and what are they actually like? I don’t actually mind if there easy now as I really fancy just getting the bike out in the beautiful scenery.
    Cutgate is often menetioned as one of the best routes, but how technical is it? I don’t mind walking the odd bit but don’t want to take my bike for an extended 5hour hike!

Thanks.
    PS If anyone else is near the Dales and has random midweek days off and fancies company sometime then let me know

Onzadog
    Free Member

I rode walna scar last year not knowing it had been sanitised. I’d tick that off your shortlist right away. Really spolied the ride for me.

Cutgate is great but you’ve got to get the weather just right. If it’s wet, it’s like trying to ride over a soggy mattress.

Having said that, I really like the technical stuff. The view will be the same no matter what they’ve done to the trail.

hora
    Free Member

None of the above. The natural Grizedale ride. Its supposed to be good?

All 3 of the above arent the best. Im underwhelmed by most of cutgate. Walna sanitised and Garburns ‘ok’.

Or how about Helvelyn or Snowdon (not done that yet)

Notice Im recommending anything that Ive not ridden over those 3? 😆

tomj
    Free Member

Grizedale is the one bit of the lakes I know well in riding terms. There’s loads of great ‘natural stuff’ in the forest, that can be linked up with the North Face Trail. Thats how I found it, starting as a beginner on TNF then finding other stuff. Its all really good.

Snowdon is probably a bit far for a day trip and Helvellyn seems a bit too much for me to bite off by myself.
    Whats ‘underwhelming’ about Cutgate? People seem to rave about it

Garry_Lager

I’d not worry about Cut Gate at all – descents both ways are not technically challenging, more like a consistent level of concentration but no ‘moves’ are required. One exception which is a steep bit right at the end heading toward Derwent side but even that is optional.
    That said, if you meet anyone who says they’ve cleaned Cut Gate Derwent to Langsett you should bow down, as the inital climb is a real monster.

It’s a lovely ride and an unusally sustained piece of singletrack for the dark peak, but you need to think a bit on how to work it into a good route – it’s fundamentally an out and back. Can be woven into some Ladybower stuff to make a top quality ride.

martinhutch

Not Walna Scar. Cross that one off your list. Massively boring both up and down at the moment.

Garburn – nice descent into Kentmere, could be combined with BWs in and around Staveley to make a nice ride.

There’s some fun stuff out North from Grizedale – including Iron Keld and Tilberthwaite quarries, and I love the natural Grizedale stuff so I’d probably include a bit of that as well.

Cut Gate I don’t know enough about, but of all your suggestions, probably the most conditions dependent given from all the Cut Gate Conditions threads on here.

Trekster

Cutgate, Garburn Pass or Walna Scar – advice and inspiration please

`tis a bit like asking the “what Stane” question 🙄

So many people of differing abilities and differing opinions 🙄

Are you familiar with the Lakes stuff from Staveley/the Kentmere over to Ambleside stuff? The Garburn seems to get so many likes/dislikes but I would go and do it and make up your own mind starting at either Staveley or Ambleside.Free/easy parking @ Staveley if there early enough.

Too much hiking to do Walna as a loner, needs mates to keep morale up 😉

Another option to consider is the Howgills/Calf-Bowderdale/High Cup Nic 💡

hora
    Free Member

Why not the Kinder Circuit?

tomj
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I’ll be crossing off Walna Scar from the list. Cutgate seems like it would be within my capacities so if the conditions are ok I might try that. I’m ashamed to say that I only really know the lakes from the trail centres (I need a cafe/playground to entertain the young lad!) so as I’m by myself fancy tackling something a bit more real.

The Kinder circuit does appeal but I think Jacobs Ladder would be too technical for me, up or down. I don’t mind walking bits but not huge chunks of a ride. Also coming from the north Langsett is a lot easier to get to than Edale or Ladybower (which involves going through Sheffield)

timc
    Free Member

one thing is for sure, a grizedale loop is better than the 3 you have listed…

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Jacobs up impossible, down Ok
    Head to the Lakes and Garburn or try this

grum
    Free Member

Yeah sadly IMO you have already done some of the best riding in the Lakes (Grizedale BWs mixed up with some NFT). Try extending it to Claife Heights or as above Iron Keld etc

You could do Staveley-Longsleddale-Kentmere-Garburn-Jenkin Crag then turn round and go back up Jenkin Crag and back over Garburn into Kentmere. Lovely riding and scenery round there. Though my mate who did Garburn recently said resurfacing had made it harder but less fun – just covered in loose pebbles now. 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cutgate, Garburn Pass or Walna Scar – advice and inspiration please’ is closed to new replies.