Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cut out lactose and reduced caffeine intake – feel terrible!
  • dmorts

I think I might be intolerant of lactose so have cut it out of my diet to see if that makes any difference. Also reduced my caffeine intake to 1 cup of coffee and 1 cup of tea a day (black now too). Could normally be up to 2 cups of coffee and 3 cups of tea, with milk.

A do an insanity fitness class once a week and the past two weeks when I’ve done it my legs have almost given up, really, really sore and aching in the class, then shaking/cramps. This hasn’t happened previously. The class normally wears me out but not like this. It’s also the same routines I’ve done normally. Also noticed it on the bike commuting in the morning but it’s not as high intensity so not as bad

I think it is more likely to be the lactose and not caffeine. I’ve given up caffeine before with out any issue.

Anyone got any ideas? What is in milk that I could now be deficient of?

mogrim

Coming down with flu?

scaled
    Free Member

I doubt you’re getting enough protein from the milk for that to make a difference, maybe bump your caffine levels back up so you’re only changing one variable at a time?

dmorts

It does feel a bit like flu, but I don’t have temperature. But coming off caffeine can feel like this apparently, according to a quick Google search

I did think a lack of protein but then, as you, thought that I can’t be getting that much from milk and I eat quite a bit from other sources.

It might be calcium deficiency: http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/deficiency-of-calcium-deficiency/2014/09/29/id/386529/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/488279-calcium-deficiency-sore-muscles/

Couple that with caffeine withdrawal symptoms and it might explain how I am feeling!

wrecker
    Free Member

It does feel a bit like flu, but I don’t have temperature. But coming off caffeine can feel like this apparently, according to a quick Google search

I’ve had it, and it’s savage! A horrific headache right behind the eyes, and flu like symptoms. I has no idea what it was at the time and if I’d known, I’d have been chucking costa down my neck I can tell you!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

normally be up to 2 cups of coffee and 3 cups of tea, with milk

Hardly even a minor addiction 🙂

WackoAK
    Free Member

It might be calcium deficiency

Take a holistic remedy.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I would increase the insanity class to every other day, do the O`Neill fitness test on a concept 2 rowing machine, you may just be weak 😈

Banishing weakness from the body can be painful, if it was easy they would all be doing it 😆

Fight the pain, ignore any sympathetic advice !

edward2000
    Free Member

You might be ill with a mild virus. You might not be eating enough, or enough of the correct type if foods considering you are commuting by bike too. Perhaps have a rest for a week, eat well and see how it goes? You should be able to go without caffeine if you can make it through the withdrawal symptoms. More addictive than heroin!

mogrim

I doubt you’re suffering from caffeine withdrawal if you’ve gone from 2 coffees + 3 teas to one of each, maybe if you’d gone cold turkey but you haven’t.

edward2000
    Free Member

Also I doubt this is it, but the tannin in tea if drank without milk and on an empty stomach can be very nauseating

dmorts

normally be up to 2 cups of coffee and 3 cups of tea, with milk

Hardly even a minor addiction [/quote]

I doubt you’re suffering from caffeine withdrawal if you’ve gone from 2 coffees + 3 teas to one of each, maybe if you’d gone cold turkey but you haven’t.

I understand it’s all relative rather than absolute, I’ve reduced my intake to almost a third of what it was. People also have different sensitivities to caffeine. But also my original intake may have been higher than I said, I never used to count. Work in small office and the coffee/tea is almost on tap due to people doing rounds.

I might try a calcium supplement and see how it goes

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I stopped drinking coffee about 15 years ago, it was just a trial. The thing that made it permanent was the two weeks of seriously feeling goddamn awful. After going through that I knew I’d never drink coffee again and havent.

bigrich

lactose free milk, three flat whites a day. sort you out.

dmorts

lactose free milk

It’s on the shopping list

twinw4ll
    Free Member

You would have to be stark staring bonkers to do that insanity, how you manage to breath properly and tense your stomach at the same time vexes me.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

A significant drop in your caffeine intake can really mess you up for sure. Can’t say I personally noticed anything like exercise or recovery getting harder though, mainly a near-constant headache for about a week!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I have tried going cold turkey from caffeine in the past, did not originally recognise that was the problem as I thought I was coming down with something. Turns out a cup of coffee (espresso) had me feeling Bob On! I do occasionally reduce my intake as it can creep up but I no longer see a reason to cut it out completely.

nickc

You’re probably just working harder in your classes, or you have a mild infection. You almost certainly haven’ got a calcium deficiency or caffeine withdrawl (you didn’t drink enough to make a difference)

edit: If you have a normal diet that includes some dark leafy veg you don’t need to supplement your calcium intake.

Solo
    Free Member

edit: If you have a normal diet that includes some dark leafy veg you don’t need to supplement your calcium intake.

Precisely!

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Low calcium is easily checked by your GP. It could be caused by gluten intolerance, i.e. coeliac disease, leading to malabsorption of minerals, which also has lactose intolerance as a possible symptom.
    If you just have a virus it will clear in a week or so.

Cougar

Caffeine withdrawal. This too will pass.

wrecker
    Free Member

The thing that made it permanent was the two weeks of seriously feeling goddamn awful. After going through that I knew I’d never drink coffee again and havent.

Having gone through the same thing, I maybe have a cup every week or fortnight now. Luckily I found that I quite like redbush tea which is a good job as proper green tea is disgusting.

dmorts

You need 1000mg a day of calcium apparently. Without milk and other dairy I don’t see really where I can get that from with what I currently eat day to day.

Reducing my dairy intake has had some changes to other symptoms. I think I’ll get to the docs though just to be sure

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

dmorts

Been hanging around the wrong crowd? Feeling a little deathly?

BigJohn

I know a bloke who manages a dairy herd who assures me that people who are lactose intolerant are in fact intolerant of “lactose A” and his herd produces mostly lactose A but a small proportion of lactose B which they keep separate and is sold as milk for the lactose intolerant.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cut out lactose and reduced caffeine intake – feel terrible!’ is closed to new replies.