Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cut Gate – which way?
  • jekkyl

Hello. I’m planning on doing a ride over Cut Gate and back from the Slippery Stones. Just wondering with the triangle of BWs at the other end, when the path splits which direction would be the best way to go to get the best descent?
    On the map it looks like it should be to the left so that you continue with Mickleden Edge. Is it worth it or should I just turn around at the split? & any other tips for traversing it.
    Thanks

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Left hand option at fork on way out, climb back up the other.

It’s a pretty short route anyway as an out-and-back, so I’d continue rather than turn back at the split.

Tracey

We always do it from the Langsett end, was up there yesterday. I always think North America is better as a down than an up so tend to go that way. It was in good knick yesterday.

jekkyl

Traceym do you mean that you agree with Mr Thump? I have ridden it before so unsure of which direction you mean.
    Thanks

Tracey

When you are comming down from the Ladybower side there is a green sign post on your right, we always turn right at the sign post and go down through to North America to the path at the bottom, turn left through the gate and past the ruins and then at the top turn left to go back to Ladybower or right back to Langsett

sofaboy73
    Free Member

+1 for what Tracey said. prefer it as a ride from langsett. get all your slow grind of a climb done at the start then an awesome decent to slippery stones. haul back up and then you’re downhill pretty much all the way back to the car. taking the north america descent (the right hand branch of the Y of bridleways as if you were coming from ladybower direction) is a better descent, however if your starting at langsett, the left hand branch gives you a really nice long flat out descent all the way back to the reservoir. was up there at the weekend and it’s running really well

chevychase

Did it a few weeks ago and north america was *very very* boggy. Going to leave it until the summer or it’ll get more b0rked than it already is.

Out and back tho – depending on whether you start from Langsett or Ladybower. Lots to recommend it both ways.

I know there’s a bit of movement to try and do some organised trail maintenance on the boggy sections at the top, but I kinda think be careful what you wish for tbh.

Tracey

North America was as dry as I have riden it for quite a few years yesterday. No bog at all

If you want to do it, it isnt going to get much better.

Tracey

chevychase

Must be the unusually hot sun baking it out. May take the bike to work tomorrow then 😉

jekkyl

so, as expected with a subjective question I got a mixed answer. lol.
    Which way is faster? which is more techy, try that. 🙂

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Vid below of the peaty trail if you turn right at the fork on the way down to Langsett. As you’ll see it’s really flowy in the dry then techy rocks at the end. The other option is similar to the bit before the turn – fast rocky singletrack.

Tracey

If you go straight on and dont turn right its a straight blast, a lot less technical than what you will have just come down, for a couple of mins max then a bit of a climb then a fairly levelish bit. You may well have to slow down of stop for walkers comming in the oposite direction as the path is narrow.

The North America route is, in my opinion, faster, swoopier and more technical when its dry or wet.

Bottom end of North America yesterday

sparkyrhino

yup, north America option for the grin factor

flyingmonkeycorps

I alternate, but I reckon North America is the “better” descent. It’s definitely more interesting.

carlos
    Free Member

+1 What Tracey says and go right at the fork.

If you want a cafe stop half way, at the end of North America go right towards Upper Midhope and then left to Langsett, left again at the main road and its up on the right. To get back on the trails, right from the cafe and up the road for a couple hundred meters then left in to the car park and just follow your nose to Crookland Wood, turn left and that leads onto Mickledon Edge

jekkyl

Splendid, cheers all.
    Next question: should I go for a dip in the pools at slippery stones in just my pants? 😀

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Go for a dip in the bog of death instead!

AlexSimon

It’s a nice pool for a dip.
    I go up to the upper-most pool. It’ll be cold though – so be mentally prepared. It doesn’t really warm up until July/Aug

I also suggest turning right at the fork, but both are good.

jekkyl

*daydreaming at work of the peak on a summers day*

Doesn’t that look nice & tempting for a dip.

AlexSimon

yup

markshires
    Free Member

I was up there yesterday and I don’t think you’ll do it in an better condition, there’s only mega bog at the top the rest was fine.

With the descent back to Langsett, agree the right hand descent is better, then left back through the gate and then right back down to the res that way, (unless your going back over). The left descent is more of the same of what you have just done, right just seems to mix it up a bit more.

Having said that we stayed left yesterday!

olly2097
    Free Member

going next monday again. can not wait. a brilliant ride.

Stainypants

Having disappeared upto my waste twice running up there a few months a ago. I’d hardly describe the tiny bit of mud that’s left now as a megabog.

Its the best condition I’ve every seen it and for the first time got it rather than it be a grind despite lugging around 50lb of bike and bikepacking gear.

Here’s my go pro footage from Saturday it’s not very exciting but you get a sense how dry it is from about 5 minutes in.

[video]https://youtu.be/ZhfIQREdAfw[/video]

AlexSimon

“This video is unavailable”

Pook

Thought I’d seen a recent update on Twitter. Here it is

KoftheP

Stainypants

Published it now it should work

jekkyl

nice that stainy, you camped at the top of cut gate then?

Stainypants

I camped by the shooting cabin in Hayfield. It was a long day. I did Macc to Hayfield for tea and then the Pennine Bridleway to Peak Forest and slept by Oxlow Rake on Friday. Then did the rest of the Lord of the loops plus a bit of the Beast which was interesting with camping gear.

The original plan was to sleep in the woods at Langsett but I got there so early I pushed on got to Hayfield at 8pm after setting off at 6.15am. Spent the night in the Sportsman and wondered up at 11pm to find the spot as recommended by one of the locals.

I was going to ride home via the Goyt but i was destroyed so settle for Latern Pike and Lyme Park.

This was the only weekend I could do this until Autumn massively lucked out with the weather.

mildbore

See I always start from the Langsett end and climb up North America which over the last couple of years just looks too blown out to be much fun, then when returning I’m loving the flowy singletrack too much to stop at the sign so just carry on left. I hear what you people are saying about it petering out so tomorrow I’m going to irritate my mate by staying left to complete the flowy downhill bit then turn around and go back up to the North America track and try that as a descent. Nothing to lose eh, it’s always a great day out

markshires
    Free Member

Having disappeared upto my waste twice running up there a few months a ago. I’d hardly describe the tiny bit of mud that’s left now as a megabog.

I agree it’s just a nickname that we call it, I don’t think it’ll get any better later on in the summer.

mildbore

Up there today the wind was so strong me and my mate, both risk – averse over-60s decided to bail as we were being blown all over the place, Wind from the north so hitting us side on. We got some of the way along the singletrack of Mickleden Edge before turning back and went down North America which was very fast and such fun with a strong following wind. This slightly tempered the disappointment of not completing the ride in the driest conditions for ages but hey, we’re retired so there will be another day soon

Stevelol
    Free Member

Were you with a guy on a green Bronson? Think I passed you at N ‘Murica!

mildbore

I was the guy on the green Bronson! You looked to be having so much fun as you flew down there!

AlexSimon

Wind was a bit special this afternoon!
    I normally clean the climb back out of Langsett, but probably 20 dabs today!
    Unbelievably dry though. Megabog was indeed a trickle. Hard to believe!

Stevelol
    Free Member

Hah! Yes having the tailwind definitely helped. The wind must have got worse shortly after as I pedalled to the cain and it wasn’t too bad. Surprised how dry everywhere was.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cut Gate – which way?’ is closed to new replies.