Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Cut Gate Path video
  • MadPierre

From a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice day so I took the cameras. Was gonna edit to something shorter but thought what the hell… and its at 720p…. so it's a massive file and you'll have to let it cache for ages or be patient on the download.

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/video/11-the-peak-district/259-cut-gate-path.html

retro83
    Free Member

Lost patience with it, but the first 2 seconds looked good!

Any chance you could re-compress it with Handbrake? H264 with the high profile preset with a target size of 200mb will not drop much (any?) visible detail from the vid…

goog
    Free Member

boring

toons
    Free Member

WoW 1.12gig!!

MadPierre

Any chance you could re-compress it with Handbrake? H264 with the high profile preset with a target size of 200mb will not drop much (any?) visible detail from the vid…

No.

retro83
    Free Member

why bother posting it if it's so big that no sod can be arsed to download it?

Kamikirk
    Free Member

why bother posting it if it's so big that no sod can be arsed to download it?

+1

nickegg
    Free Member

I give up….won't even play properly during the day (usually very quick around here!).

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think it's fair enough posting it. Some people like very long high quality videos. Personally, having been warned that it's more than 1min 12secs I'm not going to wait for it to load. 🙂

Andituk
    Free Member

It'll cost you a bomb in bandwidth if we all start downloading 1gb each too 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

+1, it would be a lot better for both the people viewing and your bandwidth as mentioned above!

jfeb
    Free Member

After the posts above I was intrigued and tried to view it. Too large, too slow, watched precisely zero seconds.

peachos
    Free Member

pretty frustrating as i love that descent over to langsett, but i just can't be arsed waiting for this to download…it's like we've been thrown back in time 10 years!

vinnyeh

Well, that was sort of interesting. Downloaded it.
    Helmet mount doesn't really seem the way to go when the roads a bit rocky, does it? Really nice quality in the still shots, but felt like my head was splitting a lot of the time when you were moving, especially with the music early on- I guess the chest mount might be pretty useful!

Has something happened to the path? It's been a few years since I lived up that way, but it seems a lot smoother than I remember – I reckon a lot of it could rival our southern double track.
    Walkers weren't very friendly either, were they- lots of them, but nary a wave or smile, but at least they were considerate, most of them just stepping off the path to let you speed past.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Has something happened to the path? It's been a few years since I lived up that way, but it seems a lot smoother than I remember – I reckon a lot of it could rival our southern double track.

It's been relaid along a fair length of the path. Been done very nicely too, some nice rocky twisty single(ish)track.

_tom_
    Free Member

Well its now buffered. Looks like fun 😀

M6TTF
    Free Member

you muppet – you need to learn some basic compression techniques!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Gave up waiting for it to start, and I'm on cable so connection speed from home is usually pretty good. Might try again from the office tomorrow as we have 100Mb to the internet, but I'd suggest that either your servers connection is too slow or the file is way too big.

peachos
    Free Member

left it to cache for the last couple of hours and it still didn't work. fail.

grumm
    Free Member

Downloaded it and it worked fine. Bit shaky in places though.

Pretty cool, looks like a fun route. Any details/GPS of the route you took? Never ridden in the Peaks before.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Even via our office connection (which is 100Mb to the web) I'm only getting 350Kb per second so, with a file that big, it'd be the best part of an hour to download it all.

1GB+ is really too big for a video clip, especially with a server that slow.

thepurist

I might be riding Cut Gate for the first time next week so watched it with interest. As a record of a day out for you & your mates it's great, but it doesn't really compare with some of the other vids people have posted on here – shots are quite long, not much variety of camera work, doesn't really give much impression of slopes (probably the hardest thing to do anyway) and a gopping soundtrack for the first 7 mins or so… But I'm thinking that you weren't out to remake Seasons, and have succeeded in what you set out to do.

MadPierre

As usual the combination of responses varies from outright rude to sensible critiscism. Don't you just love/hate the people on this forum.

In answer to some:

I wasn't trying to make some amazing edit. It's just a record of our day. I had the cameras with me and didn't want to interrupt the day with loads of fannying about. It was a quick one shot edit and the only CDs I had in my laptop bag got used!

I just thought one or two people might like to see it?

The helmet mount is a bit more wobbly than normal – not sure why? Maybe something was loose on the day?

My server is always slow but seems a bit slower than normal. If anyone wants to pay for a dedicated server and a shed load of bandwidth please send used notes….

I understand compression (it's already h264 but at a high bit rate and at 720p res). I went for quality over file size cuz I get p*ssed off with watching sh*te Youtube blockiness.

I warned you it was massive! Your lack of patience is your problem not mine. Either wait or don't bother.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry got bored of waiting 🙁

Why not try Vimeo ?

MadPierre

Its also here (same vid) if you want a biggerer faster server: http://www.pinkbike.com/video/148473/

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well at least I have seen "Cut Gate" – Looks like a nice long descent there 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

from my experiences i think when using helmet cameras on standard helmets (not full face) you have to have your helmet strapped on really securely, otherwise the extra weight makes the whole thing shake around lot, often making the shots unusable. from the minute or so i have seen of this video it looks like this is your problem.

Urchinboy
    Free Member

its also here (same vid) if you want a biggerer faster server

Pinkbike takes your huge vid and re compresses it to a smaller Flash file. Making it easier and quicker to view. They do have a faster server, but its the recompression that they do that makes it so quick to watch. I'd always rather stick a vid on vimeo or pinkbike or similar. Its easy for people to find, watch and embed and you only have to upload a high quality big file to them once. After that its their bandwidth not yours. Mind you people still whinge about it.

Nice looking descent though. Don't have enough rocky trails down here.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Performance is fine from pinkbike. Didn't watch it, but skipped through it and it looks a fun trail.

I started off using my GoPro (a non-HD wide one) on a helmet mount but have found that the chest mount is a much better perspective.

retro83
    Free Member

I understand compression (it's already h264 but at a high bit rate and at 720p res). I went for quality over file size cuz I get p*ssed off with watching sh*te Youtube blockiness.

I warned you it was massive! Your lack of patience is your problem not mine. Either wait or don't bother.

60MB/min h264 video != 'understand compression'. That is a higher (more than double!) bitrate than is used on some 1080p BlueRay discs.

Enjoyed the vid anyway after viewing it on Pinkbike.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

well it would have been better without the side adverts across the video. and without the compression it won't play properly anyway. those rude comments are due to your blind refusal to make it watchable.

MadPierre

60MB/min h264 video != 'understand compression'. That is a higher (more than double!) bitrate than is used on some 1080p BlueRay discs

It was encoded at 8Mbs which is a default template in Sony Vegas HD for "Internet 1280×720". Blu Ray is usually 16Mbps which is double that.

I apologise for posting up a link to something some people might have found interesting.
    I also apologise for not making sure I was a complete expert in camera work, editing, video compression techniques before doing so.
    I apologise for not owning a web site with the same server power and bandwidth as Google.
    I also apologise for not doing exactly what the STW experts told me immediately.

It won't happen again.

retro83
    Free Member

It was encoded at 8Mbs which is a default template in Sony Vegas HD for "Internet 1280×720". Blu Ray is usually 16Mbps which is double that.

I apologise for posting up a link to something some people might have found interesting.
    I also apologise for not making sure I was a complete expert in camera work, editing, video compression techniques before doing so.
    I apologise for not owning a web site with the same server power and bandwidth as Google.
    I also apologise for not doing exactly what the STW experts told me immediately.

Oh for goodness sake.

I asked if you could re compress it, not told you. I didn't know if you knew how to do so, so I gave you some hints in case you needed pointing in the right direction.

If you're going to post up a video which nobody can watch, you can expect a few posts asking you to make it available.

MadPierre

he he 😆

retro83
    Free Member

ffs trolled again

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Cut Gate Path video’ is closed to new replies.