Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cut Gate for a first timer without a map or GPS
  • barca
    Free Member

To my shame, I've never ridden Cut Gate so I'm going to put that right this weekend.
    I'd have to approach it from Fairholmes so if I go to the end of the road and through the gate, then up the gravel path to the little bridge across the stream, which way then?
    I don't have GPS and I hate stopping to read maps. Stopping to open gates is bad enough or is it a disaster waiting to happen?
    Thanks

hora
    Free Member

Barca Im doing it Sat am (but slow though). Ive got the Vgraphics book. Harry Hall has them in stock with the route if that helps with really simple/short directions.

peachos
    Free Member

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=12390

that's the route we normally do starting from Langsett though. it's dead easy once you get to the end of derwent. But it's miles better from this side as you get the awesomeness of the main descent all the way to the car!

crazy-legs

It's easy enough to find.
    When you doing it? I'm free Sat morning but it'd have to be an early-ish start cos I need to be in Buxton by mid-afternoon.

porterclough
    Free Member

It's one long path so once you're on the right track pretty hard to get lost (there's a sort of triangle at the langsett end but you'd end up in civilisation either way).

Personally though I'd never venture out without my OS map – if you did somehow find a footpath or singletrack and wander off remember you might be 5 miles from anything resembling a road, it's wise to know where you are.

EDIT: I see you're asking how to get on the right track after the bridge over the stream… well, left, first of all, and then I'd have to check my map as there's the bridleway and also a footpath going a different way. I _think_ the bridleway has a sign and is signposted for Langsett, but I might have imagined that. Hence the map!

Further edit: Yes, after footbridge at slippery stones it's left, follow (indistinct at first if I remember right) path for 300 metres or so then take a right up cranberry clough, if you miss this you'll be on a footpath to nowhere in particular – according to the map 😉

http://www.multimap.com/s/ADtTtcGR

crazy-legs

As porterclough says, doing it without a map (or friend with a map) is asking for trouble.

Do it either EARLY or early/mid evening if you want it relatively walker free, it can be rammed up there on summer weekends.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

how the **** can you get lost on cutgate?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Dead easy.

Go through the ford at the top end of the reservoir after following either of the tracks around (I'd go around the east side of the reservoir on the gravel track – the west side takes flippin ages). After that, the trail heads towards the meeting of 2 valleys. There is an obvious right turn here (can't remember if the BW is marked but the left/straight ahead option is definately marked as a footpath!). Along the valley a bit, through another stream and then you've got a REALLY steep climb/push which its hard to get wrong (there is an official BW and footpath option but both go to the same place and both are as hard as each other to push up). Once up there you can't go wrong – its blatantly obvious. Once at the top and the trail starts to head down (when you've got the valley dropping to your left…) you'll eventually come to a trail heading off to the right (its marked by a BW post – its pretty obvious). Take that trail all the way to the bottom where it ends by a gate on the left. Through the gate, follow the double track to the next junction, turn left there and then head all the way back again (you'll rejoin the section you left at the BW post).

Its an awesome ride though – even better with the work thats been done on the tops.

amodicumofgnar

you'll eventually come to a trail heading off to the right (its marked by a BW post – its pretty obvious). Take that trail all the way to the bottom where it ends by a gate on the left. Through the gate, follow the double track to the next junction,

from here I'd say go right, down to bridge at the end of the Reservoir. Climb up to corination street, keep goint until you reach bridleway cross roads. Follow right one and keep on right hand bridleway at any other junctions. drops you at the car park. Go over to Peak View Cafe for cake hunting. Then go round over the dam and follow bridleway on other side (at end end of woods) to upper midhope, keep going until you drop down a short lane descent. Go down concrete road and follow track back round to gate.

barca
    Free Member

Thanks fot the tip Hora but if I've got a book in my hand I might as well take the map. Also, we need to synchronise watches and make sure we don't pass each other for the sake of us both and any potential witnesses.

Thanks Peachos but I'll be riding over (again) and I seem to get on with Snake Pass a heap more than I do Woodhead.

James. That would have been ace. I'm not going to be able to head off until 11:00am'ish though. I'm planing to be out for the day though, maybe do an out and back and then over to Hope and up to the mast. Something like that?

Porterclough. Thanks for the concern but I'm happy to report I've yet to lose my sense of direction in the Peak District although there's always a first time.

That's more like it Rofl. Up and at them (I may be gone for sometime 🙂 )

Thanks also to the two other guys who have responded. I'll have a read at lunch time.

hora
    Free Member

Also, we need to synchronise watches and make sure we don't pass each other for the sake of us both and any potential witnesses.

Barca. Well at least we can say hello to each other.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cut Gate for a first timer without a map or GPS’ is closed to new replies.