Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • cut gate conditions?
  • ac282

As above. I’m
    heading over to hope this weekend and was thinking of doing this if it is reasonably dry.

muddy9mtb

not worth riding in any condition, the ruts are too deep to ride through without striking your pedals – the top is just too eroded to pick any line through…and then the walkers. forecast rain for friday afternoon so will be boggy as it holds water well. eyam to bakewell if you want a challenging ride that is rideable in all conditions

flyingmonkeycorps

Keeper of the Peak on Twitter is a good source of info if no one here has been up recently. Cracking ride, one of my favourites on a good day.

AlexSimon

not worth riding in any condition

eh!?

In general, the peaks seems to be in better condition than it has any right to. the showers have been isolated enough to mean it can dry out in between.
    Mam Tor and cavedale were dryer than I’ve ever seen them on Saturday.

Stevelol
    Free Member

not worth riding in any condition

Brilliant, one less rider to give way to 😀

Cut Gate is my favourite local ride.

As mentioned, keeper of the peak is a brilliant resource for trail conditions.

h4muf
    Free Member

I rode it last Saturday and it was bloody amazing!

docrobster
    Free Member

Now there’s an idea. I was trying to think of somewhere to ride tomorrow.
    I’ve never been disappointed on cut gate.

markshires
    Free Member

How long does it take on (below) average?

Tracey

Was up there on Monday, first ride since getting back from three weeks in the Alps. It was a cracking ride and the trails weren’t that wet or muddy. Been riding it since 1987 and still enjoy it as much now as then. Didn’t see one other rider other than us. Only disappointment was that the Wagon and Horses was shut for post ride pie.

Tracey

Was up there on Monday, first ride since getting back from three weeks in the Alps. It was a cracking ride and the trails weren’t that wet or muddy. Been riding it since 1987 and still enjoy it as much now as then. Didn’t see one other rider other than us. Only disappointment was that the Wagon and Horses was shut for post ride pie.

dannyh
    Free Member

Cut gate has been excellent this summer, and I don’t think a bit of rain will have hurt it. I’ve ridden it a couple of times this year. It is when the ‘top goes’ on the trail and it becomes slop 2-3 inches deep that cut gate becomes a bit of a waste of time. The ‘sunken riverbed’ section just after the top cairn (going north) is the worst section for this.

Still a couple of months left until that happens with any luck.

toons
    Free Member

I’m riding it tomorrow morning (for the first time), I’ll let u know 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i don’t like it either

MrNice
    Free Member

Cut gate is excellent in good conditions (dry or properly frozen). It should be avoided after rain (it will be no fun at all and you’ll just destroy the trail) but this summer has been dry enough it might hold out a bit longer. Just realizing i’ve not been up there this year…

jeffl

On my to do list. Maybe next weekend…

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Rode it on Tuesday in the dark, was bloody excellent, one of my favourite rides…. A couple of boggy bits, but nothing to get upset about…

Took my bro and a mate for their collective first time up there, & they both remarked at what a good time they’d had.

Ruts are all down to line choice and if it’s too eroded for you to pick said line, well, it’s time to MTFU & learn to pick a better line 😀

muddy9mtb

pick a better line? if the rut is the only choice going uphill how is that possible? where is the fun in pushing your bike for 1/2 mile or more? there are other rides nearby that are fully rideable and I’m in no hurry to go back here just for the downhill back to langsett car park.

Stevelol
    Free Member

All of Cut Gate is rideable 😀 there’s one tiny perhaps 20 metre long gully that I’ve never tried riding up by the rest of it is tickerdy-boo 😀

chris_db
    Free Member

Rode it from Langsett to the top and back again on Saturday. It was dry as a bone and good fun. Partic the return leg 😉

Chris

discoduck
    Free Member

If you have this on your list of things to ride then I wouldn’t let this put you off UNLESS as a few have said you go up during or after a heavy rainfall, then you will not be happy.

But, at the minute the conditions are excellent, personally it’s all rideable* we all have differing abilities and I’m no Dark Peaks master, the hardest bit is the push up the first bit from the ford if doing it from Slippery Stones “Ladybower side”
    In my opinion this is the best way* because then you can zip down Notth America and to the polkodot cafe at Langsett where you can reward yourself 🙂

You can do either side, ride it slow or fast and even get off and push a bit but its a bloody good trail to miss out on because there are a few ruts, which you woukdnt find at a trail centre, imagine that.

FOG

I must admit I was always a bit puzzled about the hype around Cut gate. I live quite close but don’t ride it that often. I do enjoy it but I don’t think it is the ‘be all and end all ‘ that some people, including magazines seem to believe. It has got better though, like Tracey I have been riding it since before Noah had a boat and it was a vile bog fest back in the day which decent remedial work has considerably improved. Well done Peak Park, who unlike Derbyshire CC can restore a path without tons of road gravel.

AlexSimon

There’s more to Cut Gate than simply the track.

Personally, I love the track – there’s only one bit I can’t ride (just after the switchbacks coming up from the stream crossing on the Howden side). And the descents on both sides are incredible (imo).

But there’s also the ‘crossing the pennines’ feel, the isolation and the amazing expanse of moorland.
    Plus it’s one of the few out-and-back rides we do. And we only do it a couple of times a year.
    When we do it on a mid-summer night, you can do the whole ride without seeing another soul.

It all adds up to something special for me.

Pook

Another vote for keeper of the peak. It’s handy. I’ve seen people ask on there and get pretty quick responses.

Fwiw, I love cut gate. Flying down towards langsett is just fantastic – high cost of getting it wrong makes going fast even more fun.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

^^ What AlexSimon just said ^^

Actually there’s a bit when you descend back down towards the slippery stones (if you take the stepped path route) rather than the switchbacks that caught me out. As I remember it it’s like a mini slab roll/commit right near the bottom.

Not ridden it this year so I may have to reaquaint myself in the next couple of weeks.

AlexSimon

As I remember it it’s like a mini slab roll/commit right near the bottom.

Yes, I had to slow to nearly a stop before I saw a line. Wasn’t as bad as it looked once committed 🙂

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

It was the ‘slow to nearly stop’ that caught me out and I didn’t have the ‘roll’ to commit. Will give it a whirl next time as it looked like the cleanest line 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

Just back and can confirm it’s all fine and rideable despite the recent rain. There is some standing water in places and it rained quite a bit while I was out but still plenty of line choices to avoid the thick gloop.
    Didn’t meet another rider up there.
    Looks like some new rocks have been put in/on the descent to North America since last time I did it. Very pointy. Ripped a sidewall.
    Had a blast 😀

discoduck
    Free Member

Theyr’e the Sharks Teeth style rocks, That descent is great, as above i tried to nip down the footpath the other week, very nearly got it wrong.

that rutted section from there to the Ford (Slippery Stones) is the most technical bit for me, too many lines, too many choices and at the time of year i usually do it they are all covered in Grass,

jeffl

Well finally did it. Fair few big puddles and boggy sections across the top but all ridable. The section up from the stream crossing was a bit too much for my poor skills but other than that all good. I’d say that all sections are good if going in the right direction and because it’s an out and back route you get to ride all the bits in the correct direction 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bet it’s not much fun up there after yesterday’s rain.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘cut gate conditions?’ is closed to new replies.