Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • cut-gate
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

out and back from Langsett Barn, How long?

gonna be driving over woodhead tomoz, weather looks alright, could get away with being a few hours late…

jeffl

3 hours if it’s dryish. However it was pissing it down a couple of days ago in Chesterfield so it will more than likely be a bog fest. If so it will take 4 hours and be rubbish along the top/middle part. Check out keeper off the peak to see if anyone has posted on the condition of it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It will probably be very boggy and unpleasant, might just be worth doing the little loop up to North America and back which will only take an hour or so but is good fun. Have a look on an OfS map and you will see a triangle of trails formed of cutgate and a place called North America, it is very easy to follow as it is the only turn off the main cutgate path.

tmb467
    Free Member

Alternatively – just keep going up to the top until it gets boggy

If it’s too bad then turn round and do the descent to Langsett and report the Cutgate conditions on Keeper of the Peak

If it’s not too bad then just ride it all

Tracey

One of my favourite rides, last done a couple of weeks ago and was in good condition. We have had a load of local rain in the last few days so will be very wet and boggy. Probably not the best time to be doing it. I have ridden it in all conditions and still enjoy it so have fun. Meat n potato pie in the Wagon and Horses afterwards is a treat in its self. Its a goog four hours when its bad.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

90% of my riding is wet and boggy moorland so that doesnt phase me – didnt reckon it’d take 4 hours tho! ive got 3 tops. ill just set off see how i go, maybe get half way then turn back and make the cut off to North America?

AlexSimon

Exactly – ride out from Langsett. If you get to the cairn before the descent and you’re more than 1.5hours in, then I wouldn’t drop down.

Should be doable easily though imo. We do it as a night ride once from the Derwent side and it’s a 2.5 hour loop with a fair bit of faffing.

On Friday it was very splashy on the top, but only a couple of wheel-swollowers. Most of it was standing water. We’ve had a fair bit or rain since, but also some mild days.

Rik
    Free Member

90% of my riding is wet and boggy moorland so that doesnt phase me

Not sure that’s the point that people are trying to convey.

The top section of Cut Gate is a very delicate ecosystem, that is very easily damaged and eroded. Like other people it’s one of my fav rides in the dry summer conditions, but as a Peak local I wouldn’t dream of riding it after the biblical rain we’ve been having in the last week esp. Last night. It will be a mess and riding it will just damage the trail.

scandal42
    Free Member

Glad I managed to ride it on Sunday before all this rain. It was awesome and ran really well but also quite wet with standing water.

Can only have deteriorated this week though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘cut-gate’ is closed to new replies.