Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Cut Gate
  • emmodd
    Free Member

After my Peaks initiation last weekend, i’m keen to try more. Cut Gate is the most accessible from where I live (North Sheffield) so fancy giving this a try before the weather turns however, where is the most rewarding place to start from?

SBrock
    Free Member

Langsett IMHO
    it will be awesome over the next few days…..enjoy!

highclimber
    Free Member

I did it from Langsett and was fine though I didn’t need to get back to where I started it!

binners

Langsett’s your best bet. Cut Gate will be a hoot in this weather. Enjoy!

Oh… its bloody great fun for an out-and-back at night. Ride up, stop, turn round, put pads on, come ****ing hooning down with a dirty big grin on your face 😀

emmodd
    Free Member

Music to my ears (Langsett being the closest place to start from my house)

emmodd
    Free Member

From Langsett am I better going straight over or towards hingcliff hill and which is the better way back? At ladybower, which is the most fun way to go round?

el_bandido
    Free Member

If you’re doing a loop at the Ladybower end I’d do the clockwise version, it’s a bit shorter! Though as a ride in it’s own right I’d probably do it anti-clockwise. Good both ways I guess.

Agree it’s best to start at Langsett, I normally like to come down the North America bridleway so I go up the other one.

jackthedog
    Free Member

If you’re in north Sheffield use the TPT as far as Ecklands then nip over the hill on the road, over the dam wall at langsett, if you want to do round ladybower I’d suggest anti clockwise, then ride back round top of langsett on return leg. Regular run for me as a north sheffielder. Cut gate about 15 to 20 minute spin up the TPT from wharny.

Descents off top of cut gate in either direction are great.

grum
    Free Member

Anyone have a map/gpx for this? Is it worth me driving for an hour and a half to get there? Will it be crawling with people this Sunday? Questions questions! 🙂

Ta.

scaredypants

hijack:

do you southerners pronounce it as gate, or yat ?

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’m local to it, don’t consider myself a southerner but it depends on context. We all pronounce it as gate, as in hinged section of fence providing passage therethrough.

I wouldn’t drive an hour and a half to ride just cut gate, but I’d drive an hour and a half to do a massive loop ride that takes it in along with loads of other good peaky stuff. Should be good on Sunday if it stays dry. Never too busy to make progress IME.

dawson

I’m starting at Langsett on Friday for my birthday ride! Langsett, Cutgate ,Ladybower, Whinstone lee tor, Crookhill farm and then a bit more before going back up Ladybower along Cutgate and back to Langsett.

scaredypants

Only kidding with the Southerners bit – girl I work with calls me a midlander (she’s from Aberdeen)

Chop “yat” near where I grew up

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i fookin LOVE Cut Gate!

grum
    Free Member

Thanks jackthedog, any recommendations on a good way of extending it?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Grum – For extending cut gate it depends on how big you want to go really. If you want to ride it out and back (it is fun in either direction) you could park up at Langsett, ride over cut gate into Ladybower, and do some of the classic peak routes round there (of which there’s loads of info on stw) then ride back out over cut gate again to get back to the car. It really is a good climb and descent either way, so as an out and back ride it’s not bad at all.

As I live in north sheffield we tend to take it in as a loop and ride out of the door, so head out of town up the rivelin valley and wyming brook to get onto stanage, drop into the hope valley from there, do some stuff out that way, Shatton moor, pindale, then over win hill to get to ladybower, then head out over cut gate to langsett, pick up the Transpennine Trail at Ecklands and follow that back through wharncliffe to get back to Sheffield. So if you fancy a really big day out with relatively little road work for the distance, that’s a good route.

Fairholmes cafe is good for half time sustenance on either of the above 🙂

Dawson – sounds like a good way to mark your birthday. I’ll be thinking of you jealously as I plough through the afternoon’s workload. Enjoy!

scaredypants – never heard of yat before, how bizarre you northerners are compared to us south yorkshire cockneys!

hora
    Free Member

Cut Gate is ‘ok’ IMO- there is one sweet section and the rest is quite pedally still.

Its ok but its not as hyped up as many make it IMO.

lowey

Its ok but its not as hyped up as many make it IMO.

I agree. I was quite underwhelmed when I eventually managed to ride it some time ago.

Grum.. go to the lakes.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks jackthedog, will have a look into it. I’m not really fit enough at the mo to ride more than about 30k though.

I do normally go to the Lakes lowey but just fancied going somewhere new. It is further south though and is therefore likely to be rubbish. 🙂

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I start off on that bit thats just off Stocksbridge by pass where the dam is and ride over and then take the train back! I can never be arsed riding back once I have done it. I use the Trans pennine trail to ride to there from my house as I live at the side of it so to speak.

I really enjoy it when I go. I prefer that to sticking the bike in a car and then having to ride back to do the same. Its a good ride in the dry weather. It will be well worth a go this weekend with the great weather it will be really dry too. I would like to do it this weekend my self.

On those sorts of trails in this weather especially at the weekend you are always going to get walkers!

jackthedog
    Free Member

Ah, well if you’re used to the Lakes to be honest Cut Gate is probably going to be a bit underwhelming.

Its appeal for me is its sense of exposure and remoteness, as it crosses open moorland with nothing much else around. But if you’re used to the Lakes it won’t be particularly remarkable. It’s a great Peak trail but compared with the Lakes and Scotland our hills are unfortunately a lot smaller and our remoteness a lot less remote.

thepodge
    Free Member

jack you must live very close to me as I’m also straight out the door and up Rivelin. you don’t happen to own a GT do you?

Tracey

With the forcast for this weekend you need to get there early to park up. We usually park at Langsett Barn, but if its full then in the laybye a bit further up the road. Failing that there is a carpark just before the Flouch roundabout but there have been a few cars broken into on that one.
    On the way back we turn at the sign post and go down to North America and then back up

Turn here

Wagon and Horses pub does good food.

peachos
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/best-cut-gate-route

has the best cut gate ‘extension’ known to man. well me. but it’s great – i’d drive an hour and half to do that. not the lakes, but still really good!

jackthedog
    Free Member

you don’t happen to own a GT do you?

I don’t. Our paths have crossed a couple of times actually. I know you, but it seems I’ve somehow managed to stay off your radar.

thepodge
    Free Member

now you say that its got me thinking… we met in the showroom at cliff-hanger a couple of years back

jackthedog
    Free Member

We have met in the Showroom for some bike thing, can’t remember which one. I used to work with Damo who bought your old P7, if that jogs the memory further.

I’ve seen you a couple of times kicking around down the borough and whatnot – next time I’ll say hello.

thepodge
    Free Member

yeah say hi, I’ve not seen damo in an age.

Blower
    Free Member

its manicured to the max nowadays. trail centre esque.

nbt

Grum, Bunnyhop and I had just been discussing the possibility of doing Cut Gate on Sunday. 30km would be about right on the limit for us too. Drop us a line if you fancy some company – might even take out the new camera

emmodd
    Free Member

Scratched the itch today. Did Cut Gate for the first time – end up doing about 50 miles by the time i’d ridden to Langsett, done the loop and ridden home. Really suffered at a few points but with the weather as it was, it was a great day out.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Sweet, glad you had fun. I think suffering is allowed if you’re doing that mileage…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Cut Gate’ is closed to new replies.