Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cut Gate
  • mr_p

What's Cut Gate like these days, I haven't been over it in years. I remember reading some people moaning that it had been sanitised, is this the case or is it still a cracking ride?

Also does anyone know the rough distance for the out and back route (and possibly a few alternatives to the basic route)

Pook

cracking ride and will be dry at the mo (despite the rain yesterday). The sanitised bits are fast and flowy, and the slabs at the top are in the perfect spot, and not too long.
    Out and back you're looking at about 12 miles, but tag derwent edge/whinstone lee tor on the bottom end and you've got a tasty extension. Also, on the return leg to langsett, drop down North America – lovely riding.

piemann
    Free Member

I rode it the Sunday before last. It was in absolutlely fantastic condition, probably the driest I've ever seen it. The sun was incredibly hot and my arms are still peeling!

We ended up stopping at the small river/bridge instead of going to Fairholmes. Best ride I've done this year, although I did miss criss-crossing through the stream on the way down, since it had completely dried up.

Go ride it.

docrobster
    Free Member

Rode it friday it was superb, dry and fast.
    I did fairholmes to North america and back and I think it was about 15 miles. Took me 2 hours 40. The slog from slippery stones to the col is a PITA but well worth it, the rest rides really well. Wouldn't call it sanitized at all, still plenty of interest and varied enough to not feel like you are doing an out and back ride- it's definitely more fun coming from langsett to slippery stones which is why I would always start at the fairholmes end.
    Watch out for the grouse chicks nesting on the ground- had to slow down or stop on a few occasions when the little balls of fluff decided to try and outrun my front wheel! 😆

Andituk
    Free Member

I rode it the same day as Piemann, starting at Langsett barn, up to North America and then up the cairn and back down to Langsett Woods. I like it that way, the sanitized bit to the woods is mega fast as a descent and flows really nicely.

I've ridden the Ladybower end and didn't think much of it tbh, but I think thats because I'm not good enough tbh.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Cut Gate’ is closed to new replies.