Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • cut finger – lost feeling.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Last week i cut my finger badly when my avocado resisted my knifes attempts to rupture its skin….

Its my index finger on the left hand just at the last knuckle joint onthe inside…

It is healing pretty well – how ever , Will i ever get the feeling back in the end of the finger ? it would seem ive cut nerves and their so far down the finger the docs wont do anything about it as they are so small, So im left with pins and needles/cold feeling finger tip down the left side.

Any one got any experiances of IF/When this may begin to regain feeling ? – obviously i dont expect it to be healed within a week but am i talking weeks/months/years?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Slightly different, but I had a shoulder op that left a 5″ scar, and the area around is completely numb. Was 4 years ago.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have had 2 serious cuts where I have lost feeling.

The first one when I basically severed the tip of my thumb. The flesh was stitched up and it survived. However, I have absolutely no feeling in the damaged area and that was over 20 years ago.

About 5 years ago I had a nasty over the bars and my eye shields cut deep into my face, lost feeling in an area above my top lip and couldn’t smile straight. This has gradually got better and the numb area has got smaller. The docs reckoned that it could be years before all the nerves make new connections and it might never happen at all.

So I reckon your answer is months, possibly years and maybe never.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Top of my thumb is the same, about 23 years later no feeling has returned…

trail_rat
    Free Member

guess ill get used to it then

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m not sure on the biology behind it, but if it’s like my experience you could get it back but it could take a long time.

I had a nasty accident which meant I needed a bit of work done between my thumb and my knuckle.

I lost feeling up the side of my finger for years, but it gradually came back.

Someone (can’t remember whether it was a doc or an old wife) said that the remaining nerves can split to cover the unaffected area?

mintimperial

I severed my index finger when I was 13. Right through the 1st joint, cut both tendons and the nerves. Was put back together by a clever surgeon and once it healed it worked fine, but had no feeling on the top half at all. It wasn’t really a problem, just felt a bit weird until I got used to it. Then after a couple of years it came back, completely at random, I don’t even recall when exactly it happened. It was years not months, though.

retro83
    Free Member

I had the same thing from a washing up injury. Took almost a year before it came back fully.

epicyclo

Did similar to my right pinky when I was a lad.

15 years or so before I could open and bend it at will.

(But it wasn’t treated – no doctors etc where we were in the middle of Africa, it just got wrapped up with a stick and Elastoplast)

BigJohn

When I’ve had nerve damage it’s taken about 6 months before the feeling returns.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Local nerves usually grow back (2x in my experience, finger and face). Takes a while. Spinal injury is a whole other ball game of course!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I folded a penknife on my index finger as a kid. Lost all feeling down the outside edge but gradually over the years it came back. I think it was over a number of years.

devash
    Free Member

I sliced into my thumb badly when repairing a computer once. It took a good few months after the stitches came out before the feeling came back in the bit that was hanging off.

molgrips
    Free Member

Smacked my thumb on a sharp edge a few weeks ago, got a shooting nerve pain. Subsided quickly, but then realised a few days later the whole area was numb. I panicked for a bit until I remembered hitting it. Still semi-numb on the inside of my thumb but it is receeding slowly.

Sui
    Free Member

cut the others, that way a win on the self relief front..

Pigface
    Free Member

Had my ring finger bitten in a rugby match when I was a teen, lost all feeling down one side it is ok now.

DaRC_L

Sliced my thumb climbing out of a burning car – had no feeling for about 5 years then it started to return, now I do have feeling back but it feels like the returning feeling after you’ve got a numb arm from having slept on it funny

chrismac

Get yourself down to your GP asap. Seriously. You have probably damaged or severed the nerve in your finger. My girlfriend did it to her thumb in a similar style over a weekend,she went to the docs on tuesday after she hadnt regained any feeling. Her GP took 1 look and arranged for her to see the consultant on wednesday and was operated on the Sunday all on the NHS. The sooner they operate the more chance you have of getting the feeling back.

jimw
    Free Member

I had a similar injury caused by a chisel in November 2010 (considering my job at the time I should have known better)
    The feeling has started to return over the past few months.

Stevet1
    Free Member

use it to put a lit cigarette out whilst eyeballing your daughters boyfriend.

you may need to take up smoking for this to work. And have a daughter. With an unsuitable boyfriend.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘cut finger – lost feeling.’ is closed to new replies.