Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • custom/semi custom V off the peg (value?)
  • ton

in the market for a new bike/frame. got to the stage in life where price is not a problem, but like anyone, i do like good vfm.

had some prices for a custom steel hardtail, a semi custom steel hardtail, and looked at a few off the peg things too.

obviously a steel custom frame, where the builder measures you in person, cuts the tubes, and builds to your exact spec, is gonna be pricey.
    but my heck, what a difference to a good quality off the peg build.

something total custom, to say something like a shand (semi custom) then something like a cotic solaris or a stanton.
    the prices or price difference really is a bit shocking.

is there that much of a difference in the 3 options?

dovebiker

Stock frames get the benefit of scale from manufacturing, particularly when sourcing from the Far East – tubes can be mitred in a CNC machine and dedicated jigs built for each size frame – this saves a huge amount on the frame-building faff with a custom frame and this is where the cost-saving comes from. With a custom frame, you can get the tubes selected based on your weight / riding preferences as well as the geometry. In terms of geometry – do you have any needs/preferences beyond the norms of standard geometry? If you’ve been well-served by stock frames then maybe you won’t realise the benefit of custom, but if you’re in the market for something totally unique, maybe you will?

scotroutes

Are you likely to keep a custom frame any longer?

Are there specific issues with standard geometry / sizing that cause you problems with comfort / handling etc?

Are you fussy about things like cable routing, bottle cage mounts, rack mounts etc?

Do you want a fancy colour scheme?

All of these factors can make a custom frame a good decision. I’m generally happy buying off the shelf but I’ve twice gone custom for something to go bikepacking on (some of the above factors
    coming into play).

For a man of your means and stature I’d say you should try it at least once.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Google small town boy designs. 400 quid for a custom steel build, to your spec. My mate has one.

qwerty
    Free Member

Your a big fella and may well benefit from some custom tweaks. You’ve been riding forever on a variety of bikes, so must have an inkling of what you’re after geometry / add on wise. Have a play on http://www.bikecad.ca and see what you can come up with.

qwerty
    Free Member

400 quid for a custom steel build, to your spec

That’s got to be mates rates.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nope. That’s a wee guy trying to start a business rate.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘custom/semi custom V off the peg (value?)’ is closed to new replies.