Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Customs clearance processing complete – no duty to pay?
  • tops5
    Free Member

I know a few on here have been through this stuff:

Got a crash replacement frame en route from the US, have been tracking it and its current status is “Customs clearance processing complete”. Does this mean I’ve avoided the dreaded import duty? I did ask for it to be clearly labelled “crash replacement” if that makes any difference?

Cheers

chiefgrooveguru

If it’s a warranty replacement then I don’t think you should be paying any duty/VAT because it’s replacing something that has been written off which has already had the various taxes paid. If your frame broke and a local shop replaced it you wouldn’t expect them to charge you about 30% of its value to cover the new taxes would you?

tops5
    Free Member

Not warranty replacement CGG – crash replacement so getting it cheap.

The tracker says that my item has cleared customs and is on its way – so is that it?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Nope. I tracked some helmets from the states. The cleared in flight and came with a lovely bill.

tops5
    Free Member

Bugger 🙁

marmaduke
    Free Member

The bill can sometimes come in the post about 10 days after you get your hands on it. It’s like they go out of their way to be cruel

tops5
    Free Member

£300! Bastidz!

z1ppy

bejesus how much did you crash replacement unit cost, to get that bill?
    BTW seemingly lots of ppl must have been trying the “warranty replacement” labels (on new stuff), going by ‘posts’ as customs have been charging them too.. whether you can try to appeal this afterwards (warranty paperwork) is another matter.

spooky_b329

Keep all the packaging/receipts/proof of postage for return item etc.

Follow instructions on label/customs website and post all the stuff off asking for a refund of duty as its a warranty replacement and the price paid.

If overcharged you’ll get a refund of some/all duty, though you are stuck with the handling charge applied by the courier.

tops5
    Free Member

Got charged import duty as well as vat on a value of roughly £700

No handling charge as far as I can remember

aracer
    Free Member

How much duty, how much VAT?

Duty rate should be 4.7%, hence £33, then you pay VAT on the lot (frame, import duty, postage) which should be £146 (+ VAT on whatever the postage is).

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Got charged import duty as well as vat on a value of roughly £700

No handling charge as far as I can remember

Shipping costs included?

Was it listed as a bike or frame? Complete bikes attract a higher rate of duty.

tops5
    Free Member

Should be listed as a frame – will check when I get my hands on it! Glad I moaned on here about it now thanks guys

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Who was it sent with? Some carriers (Fedex especially) seem to make it up as they go along, then double it.

tops5
    Free Member

USPS

onehundredthidiot

I had a discussion with fedex about the handling fee. Got it cancelled when I told them I hadn’t asked them to pay on my behalf and if hmrc wanted the tax then they should Bill me. Think the advisor got bored listening to me be contrary on a Friday afternoon at 4.30.

jambalaya
    Free Member

UPS etc use this as a profit opportunity on service fee, no upside in them arguing for lower duty either. TBH this is one good reason to use a shop/importer as they deal with all of this stuff.

hammyuk
    Free Member

USPS is the ONE method GUARANTEED to get you hit with customs duty/vat.
    Have hit back at PF/RM/etc before – as above – I didn’t request anyone to pay anything on my behalf sp it becomes an “assumed contract” which obviously it can’t under the Contract Law regs 😉

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Send “it”back as incorrect and get a refund.

Ahem

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Customs clearance processing complete – no duty to pay?’ is closed to new replies.