Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Customs charges
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Anyone know how to work out the correct customs charges on T-shirts?

I've brought £31.86 worth of t-shirts (in P&P) from the states and there is a customs charge of £11.28 on them. This strikes me as a bit high – does anyone know the correct tarrif on t-shirts, I tired the inland revenue but it seems you have to pay them a large sum of money to find out.

By my reckoning they've charged me 18% tax on top of the price + VAT. Feel free to correct my working!

Total/(price x VAT)=Tax rate

Can I question the duty after i've paid at the postoffice? Or does my payment mean I accept their charge (whether it's wrong or right).

scaredypants

there'll be a handling fee in there from somebody I'd guess

Northwind

Yep, if it was dealy with by Parcelforce the handling fee's pure extortion.

stoney
    Free Member

I just bought a road TT frame costing $2225/ £139odd.Inc shipping. Then had to pay £283 on top;
    £51 customs charge
    £13 parcelforce handling charge
    £219 VAT 😯

antigee

you need a taric code this will tell you the import duty

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1078053656

there are thousands and minor detail is important – so unless the invoice quoted one whoever cleared it thru customs will have worked one out or stuck the nearest they could find – personally if i was importing something i'd tell the supplier the correct code and ask for it to be put on the paperwork ….and you pay duty and vat on all costs up to point of entry including the transport to the uk

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I bought a rucksack the other day from the US. Customs charged me VAT even on the delivery charge (in addition to the cost of the pack).

Nothing I could do about it. Oh, and then there's the handling charge. Grrr..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Customs charges’ is closed to new replies.