Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Customs and duty on RoadID?
  • vincienup
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago RoadID were having a sale, and as I’ve got a reputation for crashing I decided to get one.

I’m a bit surprised that I’ve got a card from the RM asking for £13 import duty on it.

Anyone got any knowledge of what it should have been classed as and if I should have actually picked up this charge?

legend
    Free Member

A bracelet from the states? Just classified as any normal item I’d think

dovebiker

Depends on what the declared value of the package was and RM have probably slapped-on an £8 handling charge. The customs value also includes the cost of shipping.

lunge

I had this too when I bought one. On investigation I could find no way of getting out of it.

vincienup
    Free Member

Sod. Seems a bit steep for a ballistic nylon bracelet with small engraved plate. If I’d realised there would be duty I’d probably have not bothered.

Oh well.

lerk
    Free Member

Just wait till they start bringing slips like that with your parcel from rosebikes.de…!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Looking at their prices, I would be surprised it hit any limit.

You don’t pay anything if the value is less than £15 (not including shipping).

Over £15 you pay VAT, unless it’s VAT free item.

Over £135 you pay duty also, and the rate varies depending on the item.

If VAT/duty is due, then this is applied to the value *and* the shipping cost.

On top the courier can apply a handling fee (aka rip off fee)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users#postal-packages-imported-arriving-from-countries-outside-the-eu

lerk – Member 
    Just wait till they start bringing slips like that with your parcel from rosebikes.de…!

Yeah but we’ve got control back and the country is going to be sooooo much better as a result! 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Customs and duty on RoadID?’ is closed to new replies.