Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Customer service
  • thehustler
    Free Member

Is it me or are some customers really out there with their expectations at th moment, my most recent weird one…..

Lady comes int the shop “I’ve not long had some new glasses from you and I’ve broken the arm on these can you fix it please”

Get the lady’s record card out to check what frame she has……

I take a closer look at her frame and realise its a specsavers frame so me “I’m sorry this isn’t the frame from us and I can’t get parts for it as its a specsavers specific frame”

Lady’s reply “So you’re not willing to help me after I spent so much money” (spent about £12 over her NHS voucher)

Me “I’m sorry its not a case of not willing to its a case of not able to, perhaps you could try specsavers where the frame came from”

Her “I’ve already been there and they said they couldn’t get the parts”

Jamie
    Free Member

Should have asked her why you should help her. I would have genuinely been interested in the mental gymnastics she used, to get to the point where she thought you should have fixed the glasses.

Klunk
    Free Member

sounds like my mother 😳

project
    Free Member

well her hearing sems ok, just her mental coordination is a bit screwed up.

Poundland glasses a quid, snapped the arm off them, taking them back tommorow to get a replacement.

hellwraith
    Free Member

I’m a retail worker myself and the customer is NOT always right. I could tell you a few things (barring the Jeremy Kylse Show style arguments at the tills):-
    1. Three of the other staff had a knife pulled on them by a shop lifter.
    2. Staff have been reduced to tears by customers.
    3. I was working at one end of the shop once and some right arrogant bitch shouted at me from the other end of the shop ‘OI, YOU GET ON THE TILL!!). This is the same arrogant bitch who, while I was outside sorting a problem with the trolleys out, shouted to me ‘OI, YOU!! GIVE ME A POUND! ” [b]oh, **** off!
    4. All the tills were fully staffed and their were qeueues at each one. Some old bag storms up to me and has a go at me as if it’s MY fault. So I go round the back, tell the boss what’s going on (what else could I do?) then returned to what I was doing. The same old bag has ANOTHER go at me. I was very close to smashing a glass bottle into her face, accompanied by telling her exactly what she was, when one of the ohers from round the back and has a go at her.

popstar
    Free Member

I hear what you say.

You work in a service industry and as a result must expect few odd customers. It’s a part of business.

Now if you snap off at a customer, and worst comes to worst … you slap the biatch and expose yourself as having a bad attitude which will go against you.

That said customer may not have a man in few years so is desperate for you to treat her as princess.

When I struggle with customers at times I force myself with these kind of ideas to calm myself down and keep professional face.

Arguments die down very quickly this way and I can carry on with my duties.

Hope that cheered you up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For the OP he could at least have offered to fit the tube for free….

At least most are easy to spot
    “I KNOW MY RIGHTS” = I read something on the internet badly and I’m pushing my luck here
    Well if you don’t want my business – well done you got the hint 🙂

Northwind

Always used to propose that all customer facing staff should be allowed to deck one customer per year. The world would be a better place. I used to work in a bank branch, I remember one of the kids that worked for us got a mental woman… “I’ve got nae money and youse ***** have taken ******* charges off me cos you say there was no money in my account, but I had to buy ******* fags didn’t I, cos the kids drive me ******* mental and now I’ve got nae ******* cash to buy food for the ******* kids. So what are you going to do about it?” It turned out, after a little while, that what we were going to do was we were going to call the police 😆 She almost got hit with a fire extinguisher.

These days, I only seem to meet nice people.

maccruiskeen

But surely the amusing fruitcakes counter all the shit slinging arseholes don’t they?

My dad was in a queue at the customer services counter in a supermarket. In front of him was a woman returning a disposable barbecue. The reason for the return was she’d opened it to find that non of the meat pictured on the pack was inside, so could she get a replacement one with all the meat in. The staff were having to politely explain that there wasn’t supposed to be any food in there, it was just something for cooking food on. She got more an more animated and the staff had to stay straight faced while she ranted that the bbqs had seemed like such a bargain, £1.99 for all that meat, that she’d bought ten of them and they’re all in her freezer.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Brilliant

Always used to propose that all customer facing staff should be allowed to deck one customer per year.

Per month surely

I get it where they moan at me about government policy,law and the rules as if I was personally responsible for the these or I have some sort of discretionary power to overrule/ignore them.

hellwraith
    Free Member

A customer came up to me and asked if a bottle of apple and elderberry water was alcoholic. I had to tell her three times that it wasn’t so she goes and asks another member of staff the same question. So I tell hhim to ignore her as she was just wasting time.
    She understood English then.

tomkerton
    Free Member

I work for an airline. The ‘customer issues’ we sometimes get on board defy belief. Definitely got worse over the last 10 years.

hatter

Ahh the great British public, I remember one rather fragrant lady dragging in a decrepit childrens’s bike and asking how much to ‘Fix it up.’

It needed just about everything doing to it and just to get it safe was going to be a good 2 hour job, for which I quoted £30.

To which the response was a stream of expletives and a “No F***in’ bike repair should ever more than 5 f***in’ pounds” this was swiftly followed by a few more spectacularly fruity expletives, a homophobic slur and off she stormed, dragging the bike down the high street and accosting every passerby to tell us what a bunch of robbing scum we were. Can’t win ’em all I guess,

The other classic is telling someone they’re barred from the shop only for them to flounce out loudly and angrily declaring that they’re leaving and won’t be coming back! As if that wasn’t what I wanted them to do.

*sigh* Birmingham, I miss it… sort of.

thehustler
    Free Member

The first post was my latest, the best has to a number of years ago I worked for MFI, we had a guy come roaring into the shop, bangs a kitchen door down on the till desk shouting “You’ve sold me the wrong f_____g kitchen, I ordered a white kitchen and you’ve sent be a blue one! What f_____g good is that to me!!”, the guy that sold the kitchen calmly walked across to the desk picked up the door, inspected it closely, put it back down and calmly peeled off the protective layer and handed it back to the customer……….the blokes face was priceless

maccruiskeen

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEGIgDUYOHo[/video]

hellwraith
    Free Member

http://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4031&stc=1
    The above picture is a potential result of working in retail.
    I didn’t damage the door (I’ve got alibis to say that I wasn’t working in the shop when it happened sometime last week and there’s a wall of silence about who was responsible (Somebody knows something but they’re not saying anything) butat least it wasn’t some idito customer’s head.

hellwraith
    Free Member

How to get sacked’d be more appropriate and I know what it’s like to be the subject of a wall of silence in the work place,

hellwraith
    Free Member

How to get sacked’d be more appropriate and I know what it’s like to be the subject of a wall of silence in the work place,

Macavity
    Free Member

thehustler
    Free Member

And today we have a new contender, lady has lost her glasses and has tried to claim on house insurance which has been refused as “the insured is at fault” (I dont understand either),anyhow she now wants to know if we can replace them as they were still under warranty…………

……..someone please pass me the bottle

legend
    Free Member

I used to handle complaints for Direct Line back in the day, you’d be amazed the stories/lies/effort people would go to to try and get off of an IN10…… an insurance company will never get you off an IN10 (as they’re not the police) but that didn’t stop them trying

globalti
    Free Member

Try dealing with export customers. The Greeks are the most sneaky and the white South Africans the most stupid. Former Soviet bloc are annoying but that’s the way they were trained. Africans are fun but have never got enough money for a quality product. Indians and Pakistanis understand better than anybody but will negotiate you to death then rip the guts out of the deal. Lebanese are straightforward in business but will keep changing their minds.

rumple
    Free Member

people trying to return punctured inner tubes are the best (worst)

fionap

I used to get so much abuse working in a supermarket.

I’m all for bringing back National Service – everyone should have to spend at least 6 months in a customer-facing service role between the ages of 18-25.

project
    Free Member

Lat year met a fellow cyclist, who for the whole time of the train journey we where trapped on was upset and annoyed at the local bike shop refusing to replace his Cycle to work bike for free after somebody nicked it while he bought train tickets and didnt lock it up, he just couldnt accept reponsibility for the bike and when i pointed out he would still need to carry on making the payments, he went of like a bottle of cheap cola.

cinnamon_girl

Customer service? What’s that then?

Will be doing battle this afternoon with Epson, the printer people. Their ‘customer service’ department consist of staff who’ve no comprehension skills due to zero brain cells. Of course their CEO sets a terrific example by passing the buck and not telling the CS manager to take ownership.

Absolute shower of shite, just like their products.

legend
    Free Member

^ defo sounds like a customer in the wrong

karlsbug
    Free Member

I just bought a Canon 1200d from Currys last night for work use, reserved it on line and went to collect it and pay etc. It was a kit with a free bag so I just picked it all up, paid and put it in the car. When I got it home to unpack and charge it, I saw that they had given me a 700d instead which is about £200 more. Hmm what to do? Their cock up, do I keep it and say nowt or take it back? I will admit to being tempted, but I took it back. They were gobsmacked and after handshakes all round got 10% off anything in the store. I’ve worked in retail, it sucks. #goodkarma

Now as a man is like this or like that,
    according as he acts and according as he behaves, so will he be;
    a man of good acts will become good, a man of bad acts, bad;
    he becomes pure by pure deeds, bad by bad deeds;

And here they say that a person consists of desires,
    and as is his desire, so is his will;
    and as is his will, so is his deed;
    and whatever deed he does, that he will reap.

—Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, 7th Century BC

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Customer service? What’s that then?

Will be doing battle this afternoon with Epson, the printer people. Their ‘customer service’ department consist of staff who’ve no comprehension skills due to zero brain cells. Of course their CEO sets a terrific example by passing the buck and not telling the CS manager to take ownership.

Absolute shower of shite, just like their products.

2 things.

1. How old is it? If relatively new, then you could return to store.

2. It does sound like user error. What’s the problem with it?

cinnamon_girl

This just gets better and better. 😯

Epson’s Customer Service Manager won’t talk to customers, you have to leave your phone number for a return call in a 2 hour window. Guess what, the Customer Service Manager didn’t call back.

So as well as the CEO not communicating with customers, the Customer Service Manager won’t communicate with them either.

How the hell Epson stay in business gawd only knows.

I have been waiting for a refund since December 2014, have threatened them with the Small Claims Court after sending around 10 e-mails and still Epson ignore me.

Utter shite. Avoid.

geoffj

Arnold Clark service (sic) department – that is all 🙁

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Ask her for contact details as the manager is away and put her number in a newspaper personals offering

squirrelking
    Free Member

This is why I stopped working jobs where I had to deal with the great unwashed, I **** hate people. Well, dealing with the tossers at any rate.

As an aside, is it just me or does corporate BS have a direct correlation with how public a company is? My first ‘proper’ job was with BP shipping who’s only customers were BP. A bit of BS but nothing catastrophic. I then moved to my present job which only traded on the grid (again, small amounts of BS) until they were taken over by my present employers who cover source to end user and flood you with literal torrents of the stuff.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand…

aracer
    Free Member

I’m normally scrupulously honest and tend to do what you did. With most shops. In this case though I’d be tempted to think that £200 is a fraction of what they’ve conned vulnerable people out of…

karlsbug
    Free Member

I’m normally scrupulously honest and tend to do what you did. With most shops. In this case though I’d be tempted to think that £200 is a fraction of what they’ve conned vulnerable people out of…

You are probably right, and I would have kept it once upon a time and high fived myself. But I’m a responsible grown up now with two kids to teach right from wrong and I must be seen to be doing the right thing. 😐

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_World_(retailer)

Shit I should’ve kept it!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Customer service’ is closed to new replies.