Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Customer rights question
  • widge34
    Free Member

Ok. I purchased a Bell Super helmet from Fatbirds last August. The retention system has broken. I contacted Fatbirds and they will not refund or issue a new one until they send mine to bell to check it constitutes a replacement . I was always under the impression the buck stopped at the place you purchased item from?

scotroutes

It does but they have the right to seek professional opinion.

sazter

Dunno about the ins and outs but I know Bell/Giro are good to deal with, I contacted them when the retention on an ’05 Xen broke and they sent me one out free. So just contact Giro (based in NI) and find out first?

PJ266
    Free Member

Has to be sent back to the manufacturer for confirmation it is covered by warranty Im afraid. Otherwise the shop may not be credited for the replacement helmet.

widge34
    Free Member

Does anyone know the contact number for Bell. Been on their website but can’t find a uk contact.

sazter

smortell@eastonbellsports.com

Sandra Mortell
    Customer Service
    Bell/Giro

grum
    Free Member

Has to be sent back to the manufacturer for confirmation it is covered by warranty Im afraid. Otherwise the shop may not be credited for the replacement helmet.

That’s not the OP’s problem.

I was always under the impression the buck stopped at the place you purchased item from?

You were correct.

Still, probably not worth making an issue of it unless the answer is nay.

widge34
    Free Member

sazter – Member
    smortell@eastonbellsports.com

Sandra Mortell
    Customer Service
    Bell/Giro

Is there a contact telephone number?

poly
    Free Member

They have no obligation IF you caused the damage, or IF it is caused by fair wear and tear. I wouldn’t expect a retention mechanism to wear out in 6 months unless it was being (ab)used every single day in a dirty/abrasive environment.

Because you have accepted the goods (which I think anyone would say you have when you use a helmet for several months) you don’t have an automatic right for a full refund. You are entitled to repair or replacement though (if it is faulty). They have a reasonable time to do so – and I don’t think anyone would suggest it is unreasonable that they send it back to the manufacturer to see if it is appropriate to “repair”. Obviously it depends how quick the manuf. is at resolving it.

Within the first 6 months burden of proof is on the retailer to show that the goods were not faulty, after that you have the burden of proof to show they were.

z1ppy

The retention system has broken“*

What the silly plastic bolts that snap inside the thread of the helmet?
    Mine have gone too, and fatbirds quite rightly offered to return it to the “UK distributer” who are Zyro. I contacted Zyro and they wouldn’t comment on whether the snapped bolts were a warranty issue without inspecting them, but did offer to sell me new (rubbish) plastic bolts for £7… I only really wanted new plastic bolt under warranty so, decided against returning it.

* This is the only issue I have with the helmet, but a (single) normal M5 bolt and washer is currently holding my visor in place

monkeychild
    Free Member

I had a Uvex (top of the range road one can’t remember the name)which fell to pieces. Rutland cycles were really good with the whole process. Mainly because they lost it lol. You should be ok as they should be able to tell if it’s hamfistedness.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Gaffa tape.

widge34
    Free Member

It’s the little Red Cross by the temple area that the retention strap clips into that is damaged, it’s cracked so retention headband doesn’t stay clicked in.

Just contacted Zyro and they told me helmet has to go back to store I purchased it from.

PJ266
    Free Member

That’s not the OP’s problem.

Also true, but if the manufacturers do not class it as a warranty issue, why should the shop?

Im not saying your issue isnt a warranty one btw Widge. Just arguing really.

widge34
    Free Member

Hopefully they will tell by the great condition of helmet that it hasn’t been trashed or in an accident and will repair/replace. If they replace it will be up for sale as I have just purchased an IXS RS helmet.

andyrm
    Free Member

Because you have accepted the goods (which I think anyone would say you have when you use a helmet for several months) you don’t have an automatic right for a full refund. You are entitled to repair or replacement though (if it is faulty). They have a reasonable time to do so – and I don’t think anyone would suggest it is unreasonable that they send it back to the manufacturer to see if it is appropriate to “repair”. Obviously it depends how quick the manuf. is at resolving it.

^^This. You need to grant them a reasonable timeframe for investigation. I’d suggest discussing this with them in a FRIENDLY way, none of the “I know my rights bullsh*t” that UK consumers seem to come out with all too often. Be nice to the person you are dealing with – you want them to go over and above your legal rights and help you out a bit, so remember that the best way to get someone to be nice to you is to be nice to them.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Amen!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Customer rights question’ is closed to new replies.