Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Custom Steel HT's… Let's see yours.
  • mboy
    Free Member

Trying to get my inspiration going for a colour scheme on my upcoming new custom steel HT (though I’ve not ruled out Reynolds 921 stainless yet for that matter!), so show me your custom steeds! Especially interested in MTB’s (particularly 29ers) but any inspiration would be good.

Oh, and dropouts… I like a good dropout… Or specifically, I like a good 12mm bolt through axle, and would like to see what other builders are doing for holding the rear wheel in place and the disc caliper mount.

So indulge me please! Get your custom steel HT pics out… 😛

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Define ‘custom’ please.

NormalMan

Sounds interesting Mark.

Sorry I’ve not got anything to show but my KM Ops does run Surly MDS dropouts (mine are the bolt thru option).

shandcycles
    Free Member

Inspiration.

core

I’d love Ian’s Shand Bahookie up there whatever, but being a fellow rally fan it really is one of my favourite bikes ever.

Atomizer

18 bikes – 157×12 rear – haven’t got a close up of the disc mount but it’s very nicely brazed and flowing!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GDNtj7]IMG_20160330_073954806[/url] by Jones96er, on Flickr

Edit – found a photo of the non drive side. Zoom in for the dropout.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Sa9XtC]DSC_0066[/url] by Jones96er, on Flickr

letmetalktomark

157×12 that’s a new one on me.

Go on …….

MoreCashThanDash

Mods – can we ban Shand please? He just makes me want to give him all of my money…..

And is a very friendly and approachable guy at bike shows, even when you can’t afford his lovely creations.

Atomizer

Chris King 150 hub basically with the extra 7mm width for a 12mm axle. Matt Bowns from 18bikes did this for me to get a short back end without using a yoke. Has an 83mm BB as well.

mboy
    Free Member

Define ‘custom’ please.

NOT off the shelf… “Built not bought” as the VW customisers might say.

Basically one offs. I’m looking for detail inspiration for my own design.

157×12 that’s a new one on me.

“Super Boost” innit… Few Full Sus frames are coming out with this “standard” now to allow short back ends with 27.5+ tyres (or fat 29er rubber). Not so good for the heel clippers amongst us! I’m gonna stick 142×12 for heel clearance, should be ok as not going mega short on the cstays though.

shandcycles
    Free Member

I’d love Ian’s Shand Bahookie up there whatever, but being a fellow rally fan it really is one of my favourite bikes ever.

We did a Martini Porsche one recently too. I’ll see if I can find pics.

alpineharry
    Free Member

157×12 has been around on downhill bikes for years, mainly the Santa Cruz V10

shandcycles
    Free Member

core

Out of curiosity, what sort of weight would a large bahookie frame come in at?

shandcycles
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, what sort of weight would a large bahookie frame come in at?

Asking for a friend?!

Just a smidge under 2kg.

oxym0r0n

SSwarf

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QntctT]SSwarf[/url] by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

When it was new…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/JFjG1Q]Swarf[/url] by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

142x12mm cowled stainless paragon sliders

thegreatape
    Free Member

And how much are we looking at for one of these natty one off Shand paint jobs?

shandcycles
    Free Member

And how much are we looking at for one of these natty one off Shand paint jobs?

I don’t think we’ve ever charged more than £150 for custom paint.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thankyou.

core

Yeah, just for a friend……

That’s very respectable for a steel 29er, wish I hadn’t asked now. My Scandal was ‘only’ bang on 4lb in aluminum. Hmmmm…..

flashinthepan
    Free Member

shandcycles – Member

Will you just give over, there’s only so much temptation I can take

mboy
    Free Member

Still love your bike oxymoron. Possibly the nicest Swarf I’ve seen still.

My only concern with your bike is the proximity of the rear tyre to the seat tube, do you find it an issue at all? Also looks like there’s more adjustment in the sliding dropouts than there is air between the tyre and seat tube… Why’s that? Do you only intend to shorten the stays with a much narrower tyre (or perhaps a 650b+) in place?

One of my customers brought in a BMX frame some while back, they’d had a custom Martini Racing Porsche paintjob done on it. Built it up with some pretty high spec kit for them, really nice bike that one! Shame I can’t find a pic…

Hmmmmm… Silk Cut Purple! 😛

BigDummy
    Free Member

Frame is a stock Surface from Chromag, submitted for the unsurpassable colorway. 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is that colour scheme inspired by a packet of Party Rings?

BigDummy
    Free Member

= Pepto-Crush

🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah yes 😀

walleater

Not got any close up shots recently and it’s a couple of years old now but this is mine. I came up with the general design / geometry and Rob fillet brazed it up for me. Pre-dates the current Chromag style geometry and mix of 853 and other tubes.27.5″ wheels, 44mm head tube and Paragon sliding dropouts.

https://www.instagram.com/whishartbicycle/

piemonster

Oh dear god, I do not need this thread 😐

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Pipedream are doing a sale and have 853 frames (26″ I think) for 199. worthy of a heads up thread??

deviant
    Free Member

Wasn’t 157 a DH standard for a while?….seems to have settled to 150mm hubs now.

qwerty
    Free Member

[/url]2016-05-18_03-21-55 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

FWIW – 921 painted with some stainless detailing like the driveside chainstay, Logo etc would look good.

jonm81

Made with my own fair hands.

As requested dropouts can be seen here

qwerty
    Free Member

qwerty
    Free Member

thepodge
    Free Member

Some nice bikes there.

I’d go for adjustable / sliding dropouts with the brake mound attached. Gives you far more options for chainstay length and the opportunity to go boost or play about with geometry by machining new dropouts.

adsh
    Free Member

Personally I don’t think you can beat raw fillet brazed steel with a clear coat over it.

Under 2kg is astonishingly light for steel HT. My Curtis is a small triangle 29er with 27.2mm ST and 1and1/8″ HT and was 2.1kg (851/Columbus mix)

qwerty
    Free Member

My only concern with your bike is the proximity of the rear tyre to the seat tube,

shaggy

Ha. That’s mine. It’s been fine for 2 and a half years.

Mainly riding this at the moment though.
    https://instagram.com/p/BPNObvSB9Hk/%5B/img%5D%5DThis.

Edit: bloody Flickr links.

thepodge
    Free Member

Shaggy’s pic

mboy
    Free Member

QWERTY, love the detailing on your bike. Reckon that’s the most elegant and simple rear brake mount I’ve seen! Also you may or may not be surprised, having spent ages drawing and re-drawing my geometry, wheel size and a bit on both the seat and top tunes aside, the geometry is going to be remarkably similar!

FWIW – 921 painted with some stainless detailing like the driveside chainstay, Logo etc would look good.

The point of stainless for me is that I wouldn’t have to paint it… Lazy man’s option! Suitable 29er profiled chainstays seem few and far between in stainless though, which might bring me back to a mix of 853/631 and Columbus.

I’d go for adjustable / sliding dropouts with the brake mound attached. Gives you far more options for chainstay length and the opportunity to go boost or play about with geometry by machining new dropouts.

I keep thinking about this too… However. Am I likely to play with chainstay length? If I know roughly what works for me already, am I likely to want to tweak it much? Also it would add cost (though decrease complication of build slightly), a small amount of weight, and those M8 bolts are never easy to undo once they’ve been done up for some time even if properly threadlocked!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Custom Steel HT's… Let's see yours.’ is closed to new replies.