Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Custom steel frames……………
  • alexdudley
    Free Member

Anyone out there ever considered a custom built steel hardtail. I thought i would gauge opinion on here,so question is, what are the reasons for wanting one, what are the most important feature you desire and what would you expect to have to pay to get it.
    I am currently finishing off my jig and will be making some bikes for myself and a few friends. Fillet brazed, 853, laser cut stainless dropouts, adjusted geo for any size fork and body size, 29er, custom paint with options for Paragon dropouts, internal cable routing.
    Not trying to sell anything at the moment, but maybe later on when i have finished developing my style and have proved the design.
    So, what do you think, UK made bike to the same standard as a Dekerf, Independant, etc ? By the way i’m not the usual dreamer with no skills before anyone questions ability 😀
    Tell me i’m wasting my time if you like!
    Alex

bencooper
    Free Member

As a fellow framebuilder, I’d say it’s a crowded market if you don’t have a USP – there was a discussion on here recently, but the gist of it was that “made in Britain” wasn’t enough of a selling point on it’s own.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Not an MTB, but having seen Ricky Feather’s handiwork I now what I’m getting for my 40th..

Candodavid
    Free Member

Have one 26 and one 29 already, built by Curtis, made how I wanted and ride fantastic

fasthaggis

I have been thinking about shopping local next time.

Ringo
    Free Member

I got a black cat, I went for that because I love the look of them, simple

avdave2

I had a Roberts white spider in 88 would love another custom built fillet brazed frame if I could afford it. Actually I could afford it I just don’t think I can justify it. Maybe when I hit 50.

bol

A lot of the “artisan” frame builders seem to major on twiddly details, which really puts me off. I like the idea of achieving something really up-to-date, with all the latest standards etc, and more manipulated tubing in an understated custom frame. That said, I also have some concerns about how hit and miss the ride quality would be when every bike is essentially a prototype. No idea whether that’s reasonable or not.

mattbee

I’d like the simplest, neatest way of joining the important bits. No fancy scrollwork, bosses or mounts the only ‘fripperey’ would be either an EBB or the neatest slot dropouts possible.. Minimalist singlespeed. I’d then get the guy on RB who repaints Kleins to give it a ridiculously overblown paintjob, probably featuring lightning bolts (Think Klein Nightstorm…)

bencooper
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say that ride quality was hit and miss, I’d say it’s something that’s tuned and customised by the frame builder. Depends on the builder, of course, but any good builder will talk to you about what you want, and design the geometry and pick the tubes to suit.

I’m more of a fan of simple frames too – most frames I build are fillet-brazed, so simple curves between the tubes. Lugs can be fun when it’s a Hetchins, though 😉

dannybgoode

I’d love a custom steel MTB. I have a custom 853 road frame and as per the comments above I told the builder what I wanted, what I’d be doing on it etc and got just the most glorious ride at the end of it…

Cheers

Danny B

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Roberts here, quite old now, even described as ‘Retro’…

I wanted a high stem for max steerer length because I have a bad back. When I first rode the new bike I found a magic improvement in handling and confidence from the entry level model I was used to. I guess my weight was in the right place.

Keef
    Free Member

Alex,fat frame ? would be interested in speaking to you.
    sfbp64@gmail.com

Keef.

thepodge
    Free Member

Do custom alu frames & grab a whole new market

Custom steel builders are 10 a penny

eskay

I have a time trial bike (853) that was custom built by argos racing cycles in Bristol. Hardest thing was choosing the colour.

There is something a bit special about riding what is essentially a one-off.

tootallpaul

Definitely.

I have a custom Ti frame, but I’d like a custom steel frame as well.

I always find any production frame is always a comprimise in some way, at least with custom, you can iron out most of the comprimises.

My Ti frame is sorted as a 29er tourer, based on Inbred Geometry. Rack mounts, crud and mudguard mounts. EBB so I can run SS or hub gears.

The steel frame I’d like: a light but burly 29er, Sliding dropouts, 120mm fork, knard, and gates compatible. Rack and crud guard mounts. Dropper post guides.

Oh yes, and can I have the moon on a stick?

:o)

Candodavid
    Free Member

Tootallpaul, Curtis can do that for you, all you need to do is ask

alexdudley
    Free Member

Thanks guys, as i thought, it is down to the fact that you just want one! So to sell a frame or two you firstly need a cool name, strong image, be able to weld lust to desire add just a little quirkiness and paint it in sex…………. easy!
    As an engineer form will always follow function, but that does not mean it can’t be beautiful, by the sounds of it i have the same opinion on frame design, Simple, clean, well executed and a close attention to detail. There are some sweet bikes out there already, has anyone seen some of English Cycles work.
    It has been pointed out there are a load of frame builders out there and any one of them should be able to build you your dream bike, but only if they listen to you from the start of the build as integration of all the other parts on a bike is just as important.
    As for custom bikes all being prototypes, yes i guess they are as it is unlikely a small frame builder has a jig for each size frame so as you re-adjust your jig for each customer you move stuff for top tube length etc, but, i can set my jig to within 0.1mm which you can’t even see, so i should be able recreate any frame. The beauty of custom frame building is that each one can be made for the individual, if you ride a 26″ wheel bike that fits you well and want to go to a 29″, you can copy the angles, and say you wanted to run a shorter stem and bigger bar to muscle the big wheels around you can increase to top tube length to suit.
    Keef, it is on my to do list, especially as i bought you old fat rims a while ago.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

if you ride a 26″ wheel bike that fits you well and want to go to a 29″, you can copy the angles

….and end up creating a bike that rides poorly.

Keef
    Free Member

ah,Alex,sorry mate,should of remembered it was you ! have you built the wheels up yet ?

alexdudley
    Free Member

No not yet, got some nates off here a while ago, just need to sort out some hubs and i’ll drop you a line to get them built. Looks like snow, bummer!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Custom steel frames……………’ is closed to new replies.