Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Custom orthotic insoles
  • nbt

About ten years ago I was having real problems with my Achilles tendon, which was eventually resolved with custom orthotic insoles: the underlying issue was extreme pronation (flat feet), and once the inflammation had been sorted the insoles helped support my arches and I now wear them all the time. However after ten years I think it’s probably time to get new ones: my current insoles are carbon fibre with a bonded leather covering, and the leather is simply worn away in parts. I do recall the chap who made then saying they’d need replacing after 8 years or so anyway.

However, when I originally got them I had BUPA cover from work to pay for the treatment, and the insoles were £300 on top of that, not covered by my healthcare. I was referred by my GP at that time, but as my tendons are OK at the moment (mostly, anyway: I do get the odd twinge) I’m not sure I should go back to my GP or sort it myself, problem is I don’t know where to start. Help would be appreciated, cheers

MrSmith
    Free Member

Sidas insoles?

Cougar

Good running shops can make custom insoles for over-pronators.

(Though isn’t “flat feet” falling arches rather than over-pronation?)

nbt

No, we use similar for Mrs nbt’s ski boots (superfeet) and they’re nothing like the custom ones I have- they haven’t got nearly enough support for my arches

nbt

That rely was for Mrsmith

Maybe I need to sort out what the actual issue is before I take the next step then

pedropete

I have carbon fibre insole thingies. you just need to get the front footbed part renewed by getting it re-bonded to the carbon fibre insole. I would have thought most podiatrists could do this without it costing the earth.

Cougar

Maybe I need to sort out what the actual issue is before I take the next step then

I see what you did there.

iainc

I also use custom ones, made from some kind of polycarbonate, from a plaster cast mould of my foot. Podiatrist reckons they should be replaced after around 3 yrs of daily use as they become too bendy. I initially had them bonded on to full length insoles but found them bulky in shoes so now just use the half length hard plastic bits, as does the podiatrist who has similar problems !

nbt

Just for clarity, though I’d post a PIC of the current insoles: they’re 3/4 length, that’s one of my show next to them

[url=https://flic.kr/p/uvtSkv]IMG_20150701_202511525[/url] by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Cougar

You know you’ve got serious shoes when you fit them with their own carrying handle.

pedropete

You’ve shown me yours, I’ll show you mine. Mine are 10+’years old & do need a it of a spruce up. As I said, I’m sure the actual custom footbed is fine as its carbon fibre, all you need is new footbed cover bonded to the top.

yosemitepaul

OP I don’t know where in the world you are, but Rebound Clinic in Settle N Yorks (or Fishers Keswick) were absolutely brilliant for me.

A few years ago I had to give up running because of achilles and calf injuries.

I saw Robert Stanley at Rebound, it cost a couple of hundred to get custom orthotics; but they’ve transformed my running.

I can now easily do a half marathon and the occasional full marathon, where before i could walk.

Worth spending the money for expert advice.

nbt

Good point, location might help: I’m in Marple, Cheshire, south east of Manchester

codybrennan
    Free Member

Most orthotists will recover them for a fraction of the original cost.

elgolfo

Check out this guy in Altrincham. Just sorted me with carbon fibre ones for £130
    http://www.ukpodiatry.com

crazybaboon

There’s a firm in Sheffield than makes new ones and recovers old ones.
    They recovered my sub4 insoles and also altered some nhs ones.
    Can’t remember what they’re called, but Google should find them

theotherjonv

You are Mr Noisy and I claim my £5

Onzadog
    Free Member

NBT, redwoods and I use something similar, even in our cycling shoes. If you’re happy to travel a bit, our chap does an awful lot more than just mark orthotics. He’s worth is weight in gold although some of the exercises are bloody tough at times. I was thinking we should recommend him to bunnyhop to help restrengthen after her accident.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Custom orthotic insoles’ is closed to new replies.